BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about doing the Performance Delivery in Spartanburg, SC. I live in DC. Is the long drive bad for the break in period?

For those that did it, is it worth it? Is it the same as the Autocross driving event at the Ultimate Driving Event that BMW puts on?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
nittany said:
I am thinking about doing the Performance Delivery in Spartanburg, SC. I live in DC. Is the long drive bad for the break in period?

For those that did it, is it worth it? Is it the same as the Autocross driving event at the Ultimate Driving Event that BMW puts on?
ok, this is kinda long...

i live in northern virginia, but bought my car from a dealer in new york, so instead of trekking up to ny to buy it, i decided to take advantage of the performance center delivery. i have to say, i had a great experience, and if i were buying another bmw, would probably do it again if i couldn't do european delivery.

on the morning of delivery day, the shuttle bus drove a small group of us from the hotel to the spartanburg plant. you can imagine my delight when i saw my car in the glass enclosed delivery bay, top down, looking very very pretty! after a brief introduction of the day's activities, the group split up. i went to take delivery of my car, and the rest of the group went out to the various track activities.

taking delivery of my car first would prove to be a key factor in why i had such a great experience. while i was listening to the bmw rep talk about the features of my car, the rest of the group was out learning about bmw's handling, wet-braking, panic manouevers, and its traction control systems. they split their attention with the one driving instructor assigned to our group.

when it was time to swap places, i was the only one out on the track with the instructor, so i had him all to myself. he sensed that i was more of a driving enthusiast than the others, so he proceeded to teach me some racing techniques, which i thought was very cool! since he didn't have to hop in and out of the car to tend to other drivers, he spent a good amount of time teaching me all about how to visualize the turns, how to react, and what to look and feel for. also, the private tutoring session also allowed him to really criticize my driving, and how to correct it.

it's been a while, but i believe the various courses were a handling course, a braking-while-steering course, a wet road course, and a skidpad. through it all, the driving instructor was really good about telling me how the car was going to react, and of course, why bmw's systems are better than any others. i bought a convertible 330 5spd, but they put me in an automatic 325 convertible. still, it gave me a really good idea about how my car was going to perform in sort of extreme conditions. plus, the weather was beautiful, so i had the top down for a bit.

after the track session, the whole group got back together for lunch. when i went to sc, it was around the time the e46 m3's were just hitting the street, so the lot was filled with them. since i felt like i got a little personal with the instructor, i asked if i could take an m3 out for a quick spin during lunch. he said he wasn't allowed to let me, but he was willing to take me out on a hot lap while he drove. that was perfectly fine by me. halfway through lunch, i sorta looked at the instructor and he gave me the signal to head outside. he tore through the slalom course like a proper professional. maybe i shouldn't have taken that ride, because my 330cic was a little underwhelming after that! :bigpimp:

after lunch, some of the group took their cars and headed home, but a few of us stayed for the factory tour and museum. they basically give you the keys to a bmw, and you drive yourself down the street to the factory. going there i drove a 330ci, but coming back, i drove an m-coupe. the other option was an x5. the tour was interesting enough, especially seeing the x5 and z3 models destined for overseas. the museum was also cool, but i felt like they gave us way too much time at the museum. they came back for us a little bit later and we headed back to the delivery center.

at the very end, they gave us a small gift and sent us on our way. i had an 8 hour drive back to virginia in my new baby. i forget what time i left, but after the full day of activities, i arrived back in virginia around 11.00pm or so.

they say that for break-in, you'll want to vary engine speed, so i tried to do that as much as possible on the ride back, but overall, i don't think it's bad for break-in. plus, by the time you get it back, you'll be like 500 miles into the break-in! i haven't been to the ultimate driving event, but i'd have to say, if you have the option of doing performance center delivery, i say go for it. it's free, minus the plane ticket, a whole lot of fun, and you'll be done with enough time to make it back to d.c. at a reasonable hour.

at least that was my experience.

-james
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
:thumbup: I think I will do it. Thanks for the reply.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
Wow, sounds like you had a great time :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
I live in Nothern Virginia too and I plan to do the Performance Center Delivery :D in October :( ! I am concerned about the break-in on the way back, but if I don't have the perfect break-in or even I poor break-in, life is still good. I don't plan on having the car for more than 10 years anyway. Thanks for the complete write-up. :thumbup:
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
3,440 Posts
nittany said:
I am thinking about doing the Performance Delivery in Spartanburg, SC. I live in DC. Is the long drive bad for the break in period?

For those that did it, is it worth it? Is it the same as the Autocross driving event at the Ultimate Driving Event that BMW puts on?
We did it last week. My 0.02, not worth it. Track time is only 1-1.5 hours, that excludes the calk talk (class room). It is very similar to the Ultimate Driving Experience BMW did when the E46 came out. (ABS, Slalom and skid pad) that's it.
 

·
Ex-Autobahn Speed Demon
Joined
·
63 Posts
My experience at the Performance Center, the best delivery I ever had for a car.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51236

After 18 months and 15022 miles, I love my 330xi more then ever. Just took drove to Orlando, FL and back 2229 miles. The love affair is still going strong.

Such a great feeling to see your Bimmer encased in glass.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Here are my feelings on a Performance Center (PC) Delivery.

We just got back from the 645 Driving Experience. It was very well orchestrated, top notch and very fun. A write up to come on the 6 board.

If you are located in the East, I think it is a no brainer and one should take delivery there if you have the time. I'm in California and I will fly out and take delivery at the PC for my M6, sometime next year.

One of the reasons I will take delivery at the PC is that they give you a like car (M5 or M6, in this case ) to flog on the track and that will be worth it for me. Also, there is no doubt in my mind that the PDI and delivery experience will be more professional than the dealers that I have been associated with. I will do almost anything not to have to deal with dealers, I don't dig 'em.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
nittany said:
I am thinking about doing the Performance Delivery in Spartanburg, SC. I live in DC. Is the long drive bad for the break in period?

For those that did it, is it worth it? Is it the same as the Autocross driving event at the Ultimate Driving Event that BMW puts on?
Haven't done it yet, but we also live in the DC area and will doing the PCD in late July/early Aug. From everything I've heard, it's well worth the trip (we actually passed on a "ready to go" e90 so we could special order the very same car specifically for PCD). Also, instead of racing back to DC in the new ride (and worrying about break-in problems), you should take your time and come back via the Blue Ridge Parkway, perhaps spend a night on the way back in a nice B&B). I've heard the lower speed limit, winding roads, and breathtaking views of the Parkway are ideal for the initial break-in period on your new car. Just be sure to check the Parkway's official site, as there are a couple sections in the Asheville NC area that are still closed due to bad weather damage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Kimo said:
Haven't done it yet, but we also live in the DC area and will doing the PCD in late July/early Aug. From everything I've heard, it's well worth the trip (we actually passed on a "ready to go" e90 so we could special order the very same car specifically for PCD). Also, instead of racing back to DC in the new ride (and worrying about break-in problems), you should take your time and come back via the Blue Ridge Parkway, perhaps spend a night on the way back in a nice B&B). I've heard the lower speed limit, winding roads, and breathtaking views of the Parkway are ideal for the initial break-in period on your new car. Just be sure to check the Parkway's official site, as there are a couple sections in the Asheville NC area that are still closed due to bad weather damage.
Perfect!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I picked up my 330i Fathers Day weekend at the Performance center. I ABSOLUTELY recommend doing the PC delivery.
I was scheduled for delivery Friday June 17th, my flight got cancelled due to weather the day before and I couldn't fly out till Friday morning. I got to Spartanburg around 9:45 in the morning. There was a silver 530 waiting for me in front of the airport when my son and I landed. It took us straight to the performance center. I was greated at the door by my delivery specialist and taken right to the driving portion of the program.
This is where it gets crazy...
for 2 1/2 hours an instructor ( who was an amazing driver) took us through the BMW track.
let me tell you it was a no holds bared whooping session on the cars that we where provided for the event. :thumbup: :thumbup:
my 13 year old son was allowed to come along in the car with me, we looked like to idiots with permanent smiles on our face. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
this is our 4th BMW and our 1st performance center delivery. I can assure you that in the future I will be picking up my cars in South Carolina.
So just in case I wasn't clear, GO FOR THE PERFORMANCE CENTER DELIVERY! YOU WILL LOVE IT !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Sorry for the naive question, but is it possible to do a Euro Delivery and a Performance Delivery on the return delivery back to the States? Thanks.
 

·
Ex-Autobahn Speed Demon
Joined
·
63 Posts
RedStripe said:
Sorry for the naive question, but is it possible to do a Euro Delivery and a Performance Delivery on the return delivery back to the States? Thanks.
No, BMW will not allow to do both. You can one or the other.
 

·
Deburn
Joined
·
97 Posts
PCD from Boston and Lease Drop-off

I'm thinking seriously of getting a PCD thanks to all the comments I've read here about it.

2 questions:

I live in the Boston area and was wondering if anyone who lives here had done PCD and had any suggestions on a good route back, a place to stay along the way etc.

Also my current car a 325xi is on lease. Ideally I would like to drive down there and drop off the car somewhere in SC. Does anyone know if there are any problems doing that or do I have to return it to a dealership in Mass?

Thanks,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Perfromance delivry...

Reading so many good things about it, I'd like to know a little more. How does this work? Do you special order just like ED? Is there a pricing diference?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
deburn said:
I'm thinking seriously of getting a PCD thanks to all the comments I've read here about it.

2 questions:

I live in the Boston area and was wondering if anyone who lives here had done PCD and had any suggestions on a good route back, a place to stay along the way etc.

Also my current car a 325xi is on lease. Ideally I would like to drive down there and drop off the car somewhere in SC. Does anyone know if there are any problems doing that or do I have to return it to a dealership in Mass?

Thanks,
You need to contact your financial institution regarding what you can/can't do regarding the leased car return, but I am pretty sure you need to return the car to the dealership.

I live in NYC and picked up a 2003 330i ZHP in Spartenburg, SC and the best/quickest route back is I-85 N to I-95 N at Richmond, VA. The drive took approx. 10.5 hours. If you are in no hurry, you can make a stop in Washington, D.C. and see the sites. The PDC delivery option is worth the time.

Hope this helps....JL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts

·
Deburn
Joined
·
97 Posts
Thanks SRFast. If we go we will be spending time in the Raleigh-Durham area and maybe Charlotte as well but intend to have a leisurely drive back.

The dealer I'm getting my new car from is not the dealer I leased the old car from and he was fine with me returning the old car to him, so I'm hoping that extends to other states too, but will check with BMW FS - thanks for the idea!

SRFast said:
You need to contact your financial institution regarding what you can/can't do regarding the leased car return, but I am pretty sure you need to return the car to the dealership.

I live in NYC and picked up a 2003 330i ZHP in Spartenburg, SC and the best/quickest route back is I-85 N to I-95 N at Richmond, VA. The drive took approx. 10.5 hours. If you are in no hurry, you can make a stop in Washington, D.C. and see the sites. The PDC delivery option is worth the time.

Hope this helps....JL
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top