BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in cali with our octane rate of 91...But my question is that I notice my car runs better when there is less gas in the tank, around a quarter of a tank..Anybody notice this and if so what to make of it. I have a theory but Im not an expert car guy.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Less weight?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That was my thinking at first, but without appearing too stupid about cars which is why I joined this forum in the first place, what about a more concentrated octane or mix with lower levels of gas in the tank
Just had the serviced after 1yr and the service manager said something that might factor is my driving habits. I do a lot of short trips in my car which with the transmission adjustment driving style feature could make for sluggishness sometimes. Only a novice theory guys.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
Just had the serviced after 1yr and the service manager said something that might factor is my driving habits. I do a lot of short trips in my car which with the transmission adjustment driving style feature could make for sluggishness sometimes. Only a novice theory guys.
I've noticed sluggishness @ lower battery capacity - those many short [<10 mi] trips result in net loss of charge. You'd do well to acquire and use a desulfating battery charger - [click me]

How would you know your battery's in trouble? [click me too]

·
former motorcycle rider
766 Posts
The quality of the gas at the end of the tank will only get worse, as water (which is heavier than gasoline) in the tank may start to affect drivability. The octane will surely will not get better just because there's less gasoline.

It's seriously less weight - if you are down 13 gallons (that seems to be about what I fill up with at 1/4 tank) at 8 pounds per gallon that over 100 pounds, or one skinny person in the trunk, which could be noticeable even in a behemoth like the 6 series.

·
Banned
10,015 Posts
The quality of the gas at the end of the tank will only get worse, as water (which is heavier than gasoline) in the tank may start to affect drivability. The octane will surely will not get better just because there's less gasoline.

It's seriously less weight - if you are down 13 gallons (that seems to be about what I fill up with at 1/4 tank) at 8 pounds per gallon that over 100 pounds, or one skinny person in the trunk, which could be noticeable even in a behemoth like the 6 series.
Couple o'things:

Alcohol in fuel should solubilize water in fuel, creating better power through the magic of steam.

And, O2 sensor will add fuel as required regardless of water content. To a point.....oy!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts