BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey e38 brothers,
So do you think it's worth it to add some performance upgrades or just leave stock?. I understand I can take it all the way on thru to supercharging but that's if money is no object. I would like to eventually get supercharged once the fund become available. So I'd like to know what you guys have done as far as perfomance upgrades are concerned and as to why you did it? I love the way my 7 drives now.. but you can educate me as to how it can be even more so. Thanks again guys

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi There -

Just thought I would chime in as a newer E38 brother, but older E34 owner. I find that performance upgrades could range from engine upgrades (which you mention) to things like suspension upgrades.

Maybe base it on your needs and performance goals and use that as a guide. If you love the way it drives now, any reason you want to upgrade other than the desire for more power? Also, when doing this, reliability should be factored in and your budget. The M60 / M62 engines tend to require serious work to get performance benefits from them in my experience. I have seen people spend up to $10K on upgrades which net them up to 700 BHP+. However, they then upgrade the suspension and other parts of the car to handle the power they have newly harnessed.

A suggestion would be to lay out the pros and cons of what you want and make your choice based on that. For me, performance upgrades would mean better handling via the suspension.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi There -

Just thought I would chime in as a newer E38 brother, but older E34 owner. I find that performance upgrades could range from engine upgrades (which you mention) to things like suspension upgrades.

Maybe base it on your needs and performance goals and use that as a guide. If you love the way it drives now, any reason you want to upgrade other than the desire for more power? Also, when doing this, reliability should be factored in and your budget. The M60 / M62 engines tend to require serious work to get performance benefits from them in my experience. I have seen people spend up to $10K on upgrades which net them up to 700 BHP+. However, they then upgrade the suspension and other parts of the car to handle the power they have newly harnessed.

A suggestion would be to lay out the pros and cons of what you want and make your choice based on that. For me, performance upgrades would mean better handling via the suspension.

Cheers,

Michael
It's possible to get these e38's to have 700BHp? Wow.. do we need that? Tad bit much huh?.. Maybe i'd like the 740 to have better handling. What companies should i look at as far a performance upgrades are concerned I'm here in the southern California area.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.