Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swapped out the front grill, the side grills and the exhaust trim today with shadowline trim equivalents. I think the hardest part was just the heat and humidity.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
I swapped out the front grill, the side grills and the exhaust trim today with shadowline trim equivalents. I think the hardest part was just the heat and humidity.
NICE! Where did you buy the kidney grille from? I've found a couple online but was curious which one you decided on. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got all the parts from getbmwparts dot com. They were in the M Performance parts section.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I got all the parts from getbmwparts dot com. They were in the M Performance parts section.
Thanks! I saw that one and on their site it was listed as for 2019. I wasn't 100% sure fitment would be okay on the 2020. Also, I'd REALLY like to find a matte black as opposed to the gloss black.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I got the windows tinted the other day which finishes up the mods for now. To me the tint makes a huge difference in the overall look.

Attachments

·
Sandlapper
199 Posts
I bet your wheels will look like a million bucks after you tint the windows!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Looks amazing. I have a white gran coupe that came with the chrome surround grill and matte vertical slats. I hate it!
How hard was it to swap it out yourself? The dealer said they have to remove part of the bumper? I watched a video on YouTube regarding a grill swap on a new 3 series with active grill and it took like 5 mins for the swap. I figured our cars would be something similar...
Thanks in advance for the reply.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I finally found the exhaust trim parts. Ending in 899 & 900. How difficult were those to install? I've heard other models it involves removing wheel wells, etc... Thanks!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have a full how-to write-up with photos?

How is the old grille removed? Do the fender pieces just snap out/in easily?

How do you remove the exhaust trim pieces? Does the rear bumper or fender liners need to be removed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry guys but didn't do a write up. I thought about it but based on the low volume of activity in this forum I didn't think there would be much interest in it. All of the changes were pretty easy though and I didn't end up having to remove the bumpers.

I started out with Google and found the following two guides on how to remove the bumpers. When you look at them you'll be able to see what needs to be done to replace the grill and the exhaust trim rings.

Front

Rear

Before you start you'll need some of the plastic panel pullers or maybe a flathead screwdriver that's wrapped in painters tape. I have a set of the panel pullers so that's what I used so that I wouldn't scratch any of the paint.

For the grill you have to remove the "centre engine compartment cover" first. It's held in with a bunch of easy to remove push pin type clips. Then there's only one screw at the top center of the grill that needs to be removed. Next you need to loosen the 6 clips across the top of the grill. Once you have those loosened you have to pull the grill on each side to pop the two outside clips lose. Those were the two hardest clips to get loose but the did finally pop loose with a good hard pull. Idon't recommend using any tools to try and lossen these two outside clips as you will most likely damage the plastic bumper even with the plastic tools. The clips across the bottom of the grill then came out fairly easy with my hands by simply pulling straight out from the front of the car. One the old grill is out just reverse the process to install the new grill.

For the exhaust trim rings you only have to remove is the "rear bumper trim" panel. There are two screws on the bottom of bumper right behind the real wheels. Once you remove those you should start right behind the wheels and pull the panel down and away from the car. It didn't take much force to break the panel free. Do this until you get to the corner of the back bumper. At that point you'll want to start pulling the panel straight out away from the back of the car. Once again, this really didn't require much force and I didn't use any tools other than the screwdriver to remove the two screws. Once the trim panel is removed it's only three screws per exhuaust trim ring to swap them out. Once again, reverse the process to reinstall the trim panel.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you. Sounds simple enough.
What about the side trim pieces? How do they snap in/out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For the side pieces there are three clips that you need to pop loose. All three clips are on the side closest to the doors and once you pop those loose you can just pull them back toward the doors and they'll pop right out. When you get the new pieces you can look at them to see the exact location of each clip before you start to pry the old ones loose. Also, there is a small piece of double sided tape on each piece. Make sure you clean off the old tape before you put the new parts in so that they sit flush.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts