Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got mine today. So far so good. Much more comfortable ride (My old '16 328i had 20" wheels). I haven't had a chance yet to really get see what it can do on an 'interesting' road. The new tech is amazing and somewhat overwhelming.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
18s. Morning observations: it***8217;s quieter at freeway speeds. The driver assist functions are freely. The car steers itself around curves!

·
Finally Own One
107 Posts
Getting mine this afternoon.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm sure you'll enjoy yours as well

Getting mine this afternoon.
FWIW, The BMW website wouldn't let me register the car and my car insurance company couldn't properly register the VIN. Weird that BMW would distribute the cars and not update their databases to accept the new model.

·
Finally Own One
107 Posts
Seriously I can’t post a picture from the app? Doggone.

Sent from my iPad using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
Finally Own One
107 Posts
How do you post a picture. I thought I could do this, but I can't browse and upload it just asks for a URL. Sigh.

EDIT: The old 2009 and the new 2019. Interior lighting is really cool.

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
posting pictures

How do you post a picture. I thought I could do this, but I can't browse and upload it just asks for a URL. Sigh.
use the post reply button rather than the quick reply option

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Another update

Two things:

First, I took my new car out on some country roads this afternoon. By no means epic but some rice nice fairly broad curves. The car felt solid even with 18" wheels and all season tires. I was going well above the posted speedlimits for the turns in comfort mode and it felt very good.

Second: my car has active driving assistant and it may have already saved my life. I was getting very sleepy but only a few minutes from home, so I tried to just get there. Driving about 60 on a straight county road I dozed off for a second, and the car started to drift right. The steering wheel vibration aroused me but before I could fully react the system yanked the car back in the middle of the lane. The road is asphalt with just about no shoulder. I could quickly have driven into a tree in the surrounding almond orchard or as I left the road (which certainly would have woken me) I might have overcorrected to the left and spun or worse.

This system is amazing. Driving on the freeway the car actually drives itself. It keeps the car in mid lane, even around curves. Very disconcerting, actually. It can easily be turned off, but my experience this afternoon suggests leaving it on.

The driving enthusiasts on this board will laugh at me, but I'm sold on the safety features.

·
Finally Own One
107 Posts
I lane drifted a couple of times and felt the car correcting me. I think I don't mind it, but will have to see over time. Glad I can turn it off if I want to. I have the 19" and they feel good. I'm by no means a super-discerning driver but I like the feel of the car, seems more solid/tighter than my 2009 convertible. Really a beautiful vehicle too.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have a G30 5 series, the lane keeping assistant in that model - doesn't work very well. It oscillates in the lane, drifting left and right towards the lane markings before correcting back the other way. Very annoying, I've used it all of two times, and of course you have to touch the steering wheel every 30 seconds to keep it engaged. Maybe they improved it in the G20. The ACC works very well however.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
MY new 330i doesn't seem to bounce side to side very much. It does seem sometimes to not see the turn ahead until it's ringer into it and can make a somewhat jerky adjustment. I noticed it but my passenger didn't. I'm going to keep using it, at least for awhile.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts
The driving enthusiasts on this board will laugh at me, but I'm sold on the safety features.
No, why would we? You simply do not care for driving, that's all. It's not even uncool to not know how to drive anymore or to not care to learn.

Driving skill is like a parachute. You don't have it. Nor do you need it (not in U.S., that's for darn sure). However, if you ever happen to need it and not have it, chances are you will never need it again.

The only difference between a parachute and driving skill is that the parachute is pain in the a$$ to haul around even after 2,000 hours while driving skill becomes muscle memory after few hundred hours of real practice and you don't even have to think about it anymore. At street speeds and dynamics, of course.

I hope for you, but even more so for myself, that nannies will keep saving you. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
417 Posts
One of my friends made this comment on his car: He signaled early to turn, and the signal turned off so the auto lane thing corrected him in the midst of him turning which caused him to go back and forth a little which would have been nice... if it wasn't for him trying to make the turn.. Yikes!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts