Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my third lease and I don't recall receiving an upgrade offer this early. Is this a good deal? It came from the dealership I service my car, not the dealership where i got the car.

I only have 18.5K miles and did 3 years at 10K so way under on miles.

2016 M235i xdrive coupe
Payment - $600
5 payments left

Offering a 2019 M240i xdrive coupe
Waive $350 lease disposition fee
$8,418 toward your new vehicle.

I am more interested in leasing an SUV though, I don't love the X3 but would have to get a great deal to make the x5 work.

Thanks!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,809 Posts
This is my third lease and I don't recall receiving an upgrade offer this early. Is this a good deal? It came from the dealership I service my car, not the dealership where i got the car.

2016 M235i xdrive coupe
Payment - $600
5 payments left

I am more interested in leasing an SUV though, I don't love the X3 but would have to get a great deal to make the x5 work.

Thanks!
WHAT DEAL????????????

Ive read it 5 times and cannot find a 'deal' in your post.

·
Registered
8,890 Posts

2016 M235i xdrive coupe
Payment - $600
5 payments left

Thanks!

Short answer... Because there is no pull ahead, and you are under miles, its almost a virtual certainty that its a bad deal. As ard said, we dont know because you didnt post any deal (note" "8418 toward your new BMW" is not posting the deal.)

Those last 5 payments have to be paid if you have 5 payments left. You may have 4 payments left because of timing. Either you or the dealer has to pay them. Thats either 2400 or 3000 that you will pay either way (on this car, or on your new car). If you fold it into the new car, then it will raise your payments.

If you "need a great deal" on an X5 to make it work, that is the opposite of that as it raises the price of your new lease.

I have no idea what "a great deal" is to you, but if you are comparing it to when you likely leased your current vehicle in 2016, there are no great deals that are as good as leases back then. Interest rates (and money factors) are higher, incentives are generally lower, fewer discounts from things like corporate discount, lack of combining discounts etc.

We dont know the structure of your current deal however. Given that you asked "how is this deal" and just posted a discount from the dealer and no other information, its possible that you may not have a good deal in your current car (or, what veterans here would consider a good deal, anyway).

Read this very short thread, and pay close attention to the answer from mjb (who is an active client advisor at a BMW dealership, a friend of this site, and very helpful and honest).

https://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1321847

TL; DR version

Very likely not a good deal, there is no official pull ahead so all those payments need to be made. That offer is just to get you in the door, nothing special about it very likely. You will need to get to the end of your current lease and then think about a new car.

Also a "good deal" on an 2019 X5 with almost no options would likely be in the low to mid 700s without wrapping anything from this car into it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks

Good to know, thanks for the info. I don't have details as I didn't call the dealer to follow up as I don't want to engage with them right now but was curious about the personalized upgrade offer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've received these "Upgrade [N] Months Early" invitations before. See the fine print at the end.

It seems that they sweeten the deal using a "BMW Preferred Customer Bonus" as an "additional dealer incentive", which could be seen as making up for the early lease turn-in. That seems deceiving. In my invitations, they don't specifically say they will buy-out the rest of the lease.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yea i get these in the mail and email quite often. Never actually a 'good' deal

·
Premium Member
2,120 Posts
Dang, I juuuusssstt went through this on another thread. Big sigh, roll eyes.

Break the offer down:

A. It's based on the car you drive now. It will pick a car in stock, or if allowed by ad laws in your state they can use a generic car.

B. The incentive is BMW's for that model and in your region

C. The discount is decided by the dealership.

D. You are correct that there is no pull ahead. So if you are 3-5 payments out, they are folding those payments into the deal

E. Yes, you all know that the $350 will be waived if you go with FS again. Not everyone does. Some people don't even know there is a dispo fee. So it sounds good.

F. It is a way to connect with clients and see who they can draw in. The dealers determine the data profile for the mailer. Lease end 3 months out; X5 drivers; 3-series leasers, etc. Whatever they need to push or whomever they want to target.

It's better than getting a shotgun mailing every week that makes NO sense to you at all.

And for some it can be good. Maybe you are just a couple payments out, but you've got some excess miles to deal with. Fold in a payment, have the dealer eat a payment or two, and get out before you have the miles over the contract.

I've also seen where the residual or rebates have shifted, and the new lease is slightly better.

Or there's a better program on the X3 than your lease end X5, so you hop on one.

All these are to say that your dealer is a for-profit sales entity and it's their job and profession to find ways to get you in the door.

This is just one more way.

And ... it's not a lie, it's marketing.

mjb

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a non offer e-mail from the GSM at BMW of Atlantic City where I had a routine service. He would just reply to my questioning via e-mail with - when do you want to come in. A sales guy called and he allowed that there was no pull ahead program they would see the condition of my car blah blah blah. My lease expires in December he said there may be a program then.

I have always bought my BMWs elsewhere and will continue to do so.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
I got a non offer e-mail from the GSM at BMW of Atlantic City where I had a routine service. He would just reply to my questioning via e-mail with - when do you want to come in. A sales guy called and he allowed that there was no pull ahead program they would see the condition of my car blah blah blah. My lease expires in December he said there may be a program then.

I have always bought my BMWs elsewhere and will continue to do so.
Thank you for this as it affirms what many have said here and on other threads. These 'offers' are designed to entice likely BMW customers to start a conversation about getting into a new BMW sooner rather than later.

If I were interested in ending a current lease early and taking advantage of whatever appeared to be offered in one of these teasers, I'd calculate what would be an advantageous deal for me and ask whomever sent me the flyer if they could do my proposed deal -- but, in almost every instance, that would be a waste of time.

Number One Takeaway -- if you get a teaser "personalized" offer from a car dealer and you call them, and they ask you "when can you come in," the answer is to tell them the terms you are wiling to consider and then say, "I'm ready to come in as soon as you send me an email confirming that you'll do this deal." That's usually a conversation-ender, but, one never knows what magic might happen on the right day with the right person on the other end of the phone. YMMV.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts