BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 G12; 2019 G01' 2020 MB E450 wagon
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the G12, is there a connection for a regular snap-in in the center console or is the only connection (other than USB) for charging the wireless charging setup? I like to keep my phone in the console because it is out of sight so no temptation to look at it. But I have an iphone (iphone 7) w/o wireless charging built in. I've been using the universal lightning snap in in my F10 and would like to know if I can continue to do that.

Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you have wireless charger installed, then you are getting one USB port under the centre armrest, and another one - in front of cupholders, in the very beginning of central tunnel

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you have wireless charger installed, then you are getting one USB port under the centre armrest, and another one - in front of cupholders, in the very beginning of central tunnel
Thanks. My question is whether a snap-in connector can be used. Do take it from your response that the answer is "no".?

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Aaah... OK. You either have snap-on, or wireless charging. They can not be installed together.
Yes, I see that now, from the technical training dox posted here. This is an excerpt:

"In current BMW vehicles and depending on the optional equipment, a base plate and phone cradle is provided so that customers can use snap-in adapters in the vehicle. The base plate is located in the front center console of the vehicle. It is used for charging the cell phone and has a USB interface for the music player connection. Connected via the external vehicle antenna, the field strength for the customer's cell phone is significantly improved. Use of the external vehicle antenna is particularly advantageous because it greatly enhances the field strength depending on frequency. The standard equipment telephone system on the US market G12 includes the 6NW Wireless Charging. This base plate and phone cradle is no longer needed as the system uses a wireless charging tray that performs all of the same functions."​

I guess I am going to have to look for a wireless case for iPhone 7. Hopefully, they will be out soon from 3d parties.

·
Premium Member
1,487 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262634806050

Nillkin Slim Qi Wireless Charging Receiver Magic Case Cover for iPhone 7 Plus
Thanks! that's for Plus. Others will be coming soon, and my car is not due until late Nov early Dec. Maybe even BMW will release one; they have for iphone 6 but 7 camera is different so needs different case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts