BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Phone "Favorites" - Am I Missing Something?

13983 Views 21 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  julioengineer
Like most people, I've got 500 contacts in my iPhone but only 10 numbers that I call the most and need to have at my fingertips at all times.

When using iDrive for phone, it defaults to the Contacts list in alphabetical order which is very inconvenient, have to scroll all the way to "Z" to get my son's phone number. Am I missing something? Is there really no list of phone favorites in iDrive?

BJ
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
set Z's, trophy-wife's and Manservant's numbers as shortcuts

I don't want to waste all my shortcut keys on phone numbers. Just want to invest 1 shortcut key to a screen of Phone Favorites. Does such a thing exist?

BJ
set Z's, trophy-wife's and Manservant's numbers as shortcuts

I agree this is a pain, haven't found a work-around. Even my 2005 Lexus had a list of favorite numbers separate from the main list...
Like most people, I've got 500 contacts in my iPhone but only 10 numbers that I call the most and need to have at my fingertips at all times.

When using iDrive for phone, it defaults to the Contacts list in alphabetical order which is very inconvenient, have to scroll all the way to "Z" to get my son's phone number. Am I missing something? Is there really no list of phone favorites in iDrive?

BJ
I find this really annoying as well. I have a 2013 non-nav 328i. Any fixes?
BJ already found a fix for this, just put a period in front of the name in your iPhone contacts list, then they will show up first in the iDrive list.
The same problems exists for the music. Artists always start alphabetically. Pita

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but you can create a group of favorite contacts on the iPhone then go to the BT settings on the iPhone and tell it to only sync your favorites group. Just uncheck "all contacts" and check the new favorites group.

Of course now the other 490 contacts don't sync to the car.

Or... buy a 2014MY 3-series that has Siri Eyes Free built in and you can just use Siri to dial direct from the iPhone contacts list. A long press on the steering wheel voice button bypasses the car voice command and activates Siri. You know you have been wanting a 2014 anyway. :D

BJ
I was actually just coming to post this fix! Found it this morning. Just syncing my phone favorites is enough for me!
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but you can create a group of favorite contacts on the iPhone then go to the BT settings on the iPhone and tell it to only sync your favorites group. Just uncheck "all contacts" and check the new favorites group.

Or... buy a 2014MY 3-series that has Siri Eyes Free built in and you can just use Siri to dial direct from the iPhone contacts list. A long press on the steering wheel voice button bypasses the car voice command and activates Siri. You know you have been wanting a 2014 anyway. :D
I need access to all 500+ contacts, and even if I paired it down to my Top 50 I'd still need to put the period in there to get the Top 5 to show up on the first screen.

I have not read that Siri Eyes Free has been enabled in the 2014's via a long press or in any form.

BJ

Or... buy a 2014MY 3-series that has Siri Eyes Free built in and you can just use Siri to dial direct from the iPhone contacts list. A long press on the steering wheel voice button bypasses the car voice command and activates Siri. You know you have been wanting a 2014 anyway.
The first line in the Contacts list is a search line. Choose this line and enter the letter "Z" using iDrive knob and you will see only contacts with their names starting with "Z".

BJ
I am aware of that (and that is a very old post I made).

In order to get a) your Top 5 favorites at the top of the list just one-click away and b) still have access for the other 500+ contacts in your list, you do the following:

1. Create duplicates of your Top 5 contacts in your smartphone address book.
2. Make sure the names of your Top 5 have a period ahead of it. Like .Smith, Mike and .Home
3. From then on, when you hit Contacts your Top 5 will sort on the period and jump to the top of the list with the rest right beneath them in alphabetical order.

BJ
The first line in the Contacts list is a search line. Choose this line and enter the letter "Z" using iDrive knob and you will see only contacts with their names starting with "Z".
This method will work but it isn't universal because on different occasions you may need different favorite lists
I did not make myself clear. I have a 2014 335i and it has Siri Eyes Free and it works great. :thumbup:
I have not read that Siri Eyes Free has been enabled in the 2014's via a long press or in any form.

BJ
BTW, I have Windows with Cortana and it works great with a long press on the steering wheel, in wakes up Cortana on the phone and there on I could ask Cortana to do anything. I mean almost anything. What's cool about windows phones is that they read aloud any incoming text messages automatically via car's speakers and I can reply then and there all through handfree bluetooth without pressing any extra buttons on iDrive whenever I need to reply to a text message. Pretty cool what a $100 windows phone can do.
I did not make myself clear. I have a 2014 335i and it has Siri Eyes Free and it works great. :thumbup:
BTW, I have a 2015 with HUD. I haven't felt the need to have access to "favorites" in my contacts. This is because when I press the phone dial button on the steering wheel, the HUD shows all recently dialed numbers, and quite naturally, all my favorites are already there. So it is quick, phone dial on steering wheel, the HUD scroller on the steering to get to the number you want, and off you dial.

BJ
I have 2 suggestions:

1. If you hit the phone button on your steering wheel, it brings up your recent call log from your phone. I'm guessing your son's number is there within the prior 10 or so, and you can scroll down until you see "Son" in the display between the speedo and tach.

2. Use the voice dialing--it works really well. Hit the voice button and say "Dial Son". It will find him and ask "Did you mean Son?" After you reply "Yes", it will ask "Which number, Home, Work or Mobile." You answer, and it dials. I never use my phone book.

BJ
Same with my 07 Lexus, but that's because it didn't download your entire phonebook on every startup. You had to manually enter numbers in your car's phone, book, or upload no more than 100 numbers. AND THEN, you had to assign only a few of those as "SPEED DIALS." Looking back, that's not a better way...
I agree this is a pain, haven't found a work-around. Even my 2005 Lexus had a list of favorite numbers separate from the main list...
The a short press of the same button using the car's system actually works the same way, but displays the contact and number on the car's display. I don't use Siri to dial anymore.
A long press of the voice button does activate Siri on my '14.

BJ
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.