BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
101 - 120 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
BMWs and Mission Impossible - awaiting re-re delivery

Tomorrow my European Delivery vehicle will be re-re delivered as it arrives by boat on its final leg after drives in Europe and various states.

To make up for not being able to drive my BMW, for the past few days I found a way to fill the void by viewing BMWs on the Silver Screen.

Just got home from watching the BMW centric Mission Impossible - Rogue Nation. What an infomercial for BMW! Before even seeing the show friends and family who had seen the movie made a point to mention to me the multiple BMWs which played starring and cameo roles in the film. From the 6 Series Convertible to the new 7 Series as well as the M3, and if I recall correctly a BMW Touring (Wagon) as well split screen time. Then there were the BMW motorcycles.

To top off the cinematic experience, when I stepped out of the movie theatre, I was greeted by a sunset worthy of a movie set.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 · (Edited)
The ship arrived with the 435i xDrive M-Sport Convertible in Mineral Grey today!

Tomorrow my European Delivery vehicle will be re-re delivered as it arrives by boat on its final leg after drives in Europe and various states.

The ship arrived! Here is the Ro-Ro (Roll on - Roll off) ship as it was unloading at the dock today.

And here is the car at the port as it was unloaded and positioned at the ship's yard for pick up.

And a view of the car after re-re delivery.

And here are photos of the delivering ship leaving port and then sailing off into the sunset after completing the day of unloading:

As a post script, photographed with its top down in the same spot as the 435i above is the prior 335i Convertible on its "delivery day" some seven years ago.

And as a footnote to the post script, the lake shared in the background of both photos served, in the intervening years, as the Arctic Ocean set for the Eskimo whale hunt as seen in the opening scene of the Drew Barrymore/John Krasinski film "Big Miracle" about whales trapped in the Arctic ice. Here are some photos I captured during the filming:

And as a footnote to the footnote, the location of the set for the ice field where the whales were trapped is pictured in the foreground of the photo above of the delivering ship leaving port. Here is the ice field set as it was previously constructed for the film at the pictured subject port location, complete with animatronic whales:

And here is a photo I captured of Drew Barrymore, John Krasinski, Ted Danson, Kristin Bell, and a host of other actors and extras on the ice field set being filmed cheering the release of the whales (Drew is in the center wearing a blue coat with one of the Inupiat Eskimo actors just behind her in a white parka.):

Note the red interiored boat seen in the foreground of the above photo remains today moored at the edge of what was the ice field set location (Look to the far left in the current day photo below):

·
Registered
253 Posts
Northcar

A great ED report! Thanks for taking the time to post such a complete and interesting report, including the tracking information for the ship.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions since we are considering a ED for a 4 series convertible during our son's spring break in March 2016:

1. I note that your car has the M Sport package. I was wondering what tires you ordered, all season or summer? You clearly were traveling in Germany/Austria during snowy season, so I was wondering how you handled that with regard to the German requirements for tires during the winter season?

2. Others have posted about the capacity of the trunk for ED. We would also have three people in the car, two adults and our 13 year old son. How did you find the trunk space?

Thanks

John

·
Registered
449 Posts
Northcar

A great ED report! Thanks for taking the time to post such a complete and interesting report, including the tracking information for the ship.

If you don't mind, I have a couple of questions since we are considering a ED for a 4 series convertible during our son's spring break in March 2016:

1. I note that your car has the M Sport package. I was wondering what tires you ordered, all season or summer? You clearly were traveling in Germany/Austria during snowy season, so I was wondering how you handled that with regard to the German requirements for tires during the winter season?

2. Others have posted about the capacity of the trunk for ED. We would also have three people in the car, two adults and our 13 year old son. How did you find the trunk space?

Thanks

John
Thanks for the kind words.

With regard to the tires I confirmed that the tires that came standard with the M-Sport package on the 435i xDrive Convertble had an M/S (Mud and Snow) imprint on the rubber by comparing with other 4 Series cars on the local dealer's lot. Of course having xDrive provided added confidence. I had done a December/January ED with a 4-Matic Mercedes equipped with standard tires before the current rules were enacted. On that ED I was caught in a New Year's Eve snowstorm as we headed toward Fussen and had no problems on the unplowed roadway.

Needless to say we did avoid alpine travel into mountainous areas. For such travel Austria can require chains and I never was able to confirm if chains were available at The Welt or elsewhere for the 4 Series in xDrive configuration.

As to trunk space we were able to fit two of the Rick Steve's recommended airline carry on suitcases along with a third similar sized suitcase with soft sides (a wheeled backpack type or duffel bag would work) as well as a few smaller items that fit in the side areas of the trunk. Of course with luggage loaded top down driving must be deferred until most of the luggage is stashed at your hotel and you are headed out on day trips.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
Thanks for the kind words.

With regard to the tires I confirmed that the tires that came standard with the M-Sport package on the 435i xDrive Convertble had an M/S (Mud and Snow) imprint on the rubber by comparing with other 4 Series cars on the local dealer's lot. Of course having xDrive provided added confidence. I had done a December/January ED with a 4-Matic Mercedes equipped with standard tires before the current rules were enacted. On that ED I was caught in a New Year's Eve snowstorm as we headed toward Fussen and had no problems on the unplowed roadway.

Just located these photos I took at the referenced time on the local dealer's lot confirming the M/S imprint on a 4 Series xDrive:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
While on the subject of tires and wheels, just came across a surprising discovery. The Tire Rack acquired wheels (mounted on snow tires) for my previous 2007 335i Convertible that was wrecked when I was struck by a truck running a red light look almost identical to the OEM wheels on my new 435i M-Sport xDrive Convertible with the only visible difference being the absence of the BMW logo in their center.

Here are the Tire Rack supplied wheels:

And for comparison, here are the OEM wheels on my new 4 Series 435i M-Sport xDrive Convertible:

And for completeness here are the OEM wheels that came with the 2007 335i:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
And for comparison, here are the OEM wheels on my new 4 Series 435i M-Sport xDrive Convertible:

And for completeness here are the OEM wheels that came with the 2007 335i:

And yes, that is the same lake and photo op location - but the silver 335i was photographed in 2007 and the Metallic Grey 435i was photographed in 2015!

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
Added shots from today of the 2015 BMW 435i xDrive Convertible in Mineral Grey

This one at the lake with the top up:

Same angle, but with the top down:

And ready to head out:

And finally, view from above with some added color:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Believe me, the Schneeballen look much better than they taste. It's like eating cardboard with powdered sugar on top. It may be the only thing I ever ate in Germany that I didn't like....Ooops. Forgot about marzipan.
I guess I should have responded to this before. Thanks for the tip about the taste of Schneeballen so I don't have to feel so bad about missing it. On the other hand though, I have over the course of several European Delivery experiences developed a taste for the small chocolate covered Marzipan candies.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
Snowed yesterday, but warmed up enough for top down driving. At 44 degrees still comfortable with top down thanks to the cold weather package with its heated steering wheel and neck warmer. Was my first time using the heated steering wheel as well as operating the neck warmer at maximum setting. Heated steering wheel operated better than expected though BMW did a masterful job of hiding the on switch. :)

101 - 120 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.