Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like Photobucket is out for me.... After about 7 years of loyal useage by sharing pics onto websites for DIY and progess, I receive the memo that I have to upgrade my memebership to allow 3rd party hosting.

I checked my 550i DIY for the 90C thermostat mod and all my pics are blocked thanks to photobucket new strategy to make money.

I guess they are really starpped for cash or something since this is just taken into effect in July 6, 2017.

Sucks, time to look for a new area. Goodbye Photobucket, it has been real.:tsk:

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Imgur might work for a while. I put my images there for facebook + web forum sharing, and my screenshot software (Greenshot) has integration (also integrates photobucket + a bunch more)

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,096 Posts
Of course there is uploading the images directly to the site on which they are linked....

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
Of course there is uploading the images directly to the site on which they are linked....
if only it wasn't a TOTAL pain in the rear to do so... :dunno:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True, imgur sounds like a good alternative.

Most forums that offer pic sharing on their respective sites are usually time consuming and difficult to upload not including the issues that arrises that can cause confusion and frustration.

Vwvortex, gopednation, just naming a few....

Hence creating photobucket at the time. It was easy, uploads fine and does what you are intended to do.

Now they want to charge 400/year just to have that capability, without a warning haha. Found that quite alarming.

I get that you get what you pay for and all that, I'll be willing to pay to have the features if it wasnt 400/year. Their lower tier memberships doesn't offer web hosting so what's the point then?

Oh well.....

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
$400/yr is silly - you can upload to one of those cheap web hosts like GoCrappy or Blue Host for $5/month for an 'unmetered' account. Not sure how far you could push that. but $60/yr is better than $400!!

·
Airbus side-stick jocky
140 Posts
This is a terribly disruptive development. I am a moderator for a large bird-enthusiast forum with members who share voluminous photo albums. I don't use Photobucket, but word is they are charging nearly $400 for image hosting!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
22,096 Posts
Since this transpired a few weeks ago, I've been wondering if someone will create a plugin for VBulletin to allow users to quickly ID picture links, and update them... I mean some sites lock editing after a time period- there are posts/threads that the original poster cannot even access to fix!

I'm seeing this across all forums- disruptive indeed.

But...is migrating you pictures to a new site, then fixing all links, just postponing the same issues?

Each forums own content is then controlled by the members, their continued maintnenace of their own library AND the policies of their hosting site of choice.....

Anyway, yes- disruptive.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
yes moving from one free to another free might cause problems down the road, but buying a cheap domain and space on someone's servers to host images with a URL that will NOT change will not cause a problem later, even if you migrate your data/domain to another provider. If you use cloudflare, they will CDN the images for you anyway and speed things up also. I manage a ton of wordpress installations for customer (we have a hosting company although we are not what I call a 'bucket host' - we have NO 'unlimited' plans) - I recommend cloudflare all day long for many reasons - the CDN is one, the ddos prevention is another, and you can start on their FREE plan and stay there for a long time - I must have 1000 domains in my cloudflare account. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts