BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just returned from a week of business in the Netherlands. On my down time I was able to take in a day trip to the Netherlands' De Hoge Veluwe National Park. This would be an interesting diversion for anyone planning a European Delivery that would take them to Arnhem of World War II "A Bridge Too Far" fame to see the memorials and war museums there near the German border. Just a few miles outside of Arnhem is located Netherlands' most impressive National Park with sand dunes, forests, and open spaces. Best of all you can leave your car at the park's entrance and ride the courtesy "white bikes" that are available there gratis with your park admission. Approximately 6 miles into the park is located a Dutch best kept secret - the Kroller-Muller Museum which features one of the largest collections of Van Gogh paintings in the world along with one of the most extensive sculpture gardens in Europe. Here are some photos I took as well as a link with more details about the park.

http://www.goworldtravel.com/ex/aspx/articleGuid.98a646d5-b248-4eb0-bf31-2fca412ccb6d/xe/article.htm

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice to hear you enjoyed the musuem and park :)

It is one of my favorite spots to ride my mountainbike.
Thanks. You have a beautiful country. Maybe you can confirm. I was told in Nijmegen that the bridge shot in the film "A Bridge Too Far" was actually this one in Nijmegen rather than the actual one in Arnhem. (I captured this shot from the train as I was headed to Arnhem from Nijmegen.)

·
Freude am Fahren
55 Posts
The scenes around the 'Arnhem' bridge were actually shot in Deventer

The scenes around the 'Arnhem' bridge were actually shot in Deventer, where a similar bridge over the IJssel was still available. Although the original bridge in Arnhem still existed, it was by the mid-1970s sitting in a modern urban surroundings which could not be used to portray a 1940s city. A few scenes were shot in Zutphen, where the old municipality house (a white building which in the film featured the Nazi command centre) and the main church can be seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_(film)

·
Registered
292 Posts
Most of the movie was indeed shot at Deventer. I do remember visiting Deventer long time ago when the movie was recorded.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Most of the movie was indeed shot at Deventer. I do remember visiting Deventer long time ago when the movie was recorded.
It is ironic that the film crew would go so far to shoot "on location" and yet not end up filming where the actual location was.

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to hear you enjoyed the musuem and park :)

It is one of my favorite spots to ride my mountainbike.
Another bonus living in the Netherlands is that you get to celebrate Christmas early! Of course Sinterklaus probably has an easier go of it getting from Spain by December 5th than trying to make it elsewhere from the North Pole on the 25th.:cool:

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Van Gogh and His Letters

Just learned that the current presentation of "Van Gogh and his Letters" will end its run at the Van Gogh Museum in Amsterdam sometime January 3rd, 2010. This is a major effort and it seems most everyone in the Netherlands is talking about it as a must see. Having spent a day there I can see why. If you are a Van Gogh fan and will be stopping over at Shiphol Airport enroute to Munich for your ED it is an option worth considering.

http://www.vangoghmuseum.nl/vgm/index.jsp?page=161662&lang=en

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
This is getting to be a difficult choice. The original idea was to go to SE France...Alsace, Rhone, who knows. Then came the Utrecht, Amsterdam, etc. idea, possibly stopping in or near Cologne or Essen on the way. But the car choice is holding us up. I'm hoping we'll hear from BMWFS in a couple of weeks, compare new ED vs re-lease or whatever, and then focus more on destinations. The only known in all this is Munich on 24 June, probably on the way in but possibly on the way out.

Your photos are great. :thumbup: And the combination of art and park to keep Betsy happy will enable me to spend additional time on WWII sights. It seems ideal. Thanks for thinking of us!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts