BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... another stupid move, the difference is the on board computer says 171.82mph this time............. and the beast is hungry for more speed as he pushes forward.

Still alive guys!

Regards,
JIMMY
www.Jimmy540i.com
(PS: I actually let go the gas a bit while taking this pic)

·
10,856 Posts
Patrick 320d said:
What race track were you driving on? :dunno:

Patrick
Probably one of the ones otherwise known as SoCal freeways. :tsk:

·
10,856 Posts
It's a terrifying speed in a country with piss-poor drivers and NO lane discipline...

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
I had my dad's STOCK E39 540i-6 speedo straight down (indicating 165+) on a high speed run in the desert some time ago.

I used a hand-held GPS to calculate my true speed of 153.5 mph.

From your pic, I bet you are doing 145 or so....

Don't believe the OBC or Speedo. Take a pic of a GPS!

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Yeah, right...I'll believe you're going 171.82mph when I see the police radar gun reading. :D

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
Jimmy,

A few questions:

Why is DSC off? There is no reason to have it off at that speed.

Is your car an Auto or 6-speed? What gear were you in for the picture?

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Emission said:
Jimmy,

A few questions:

Well, he probably was in a fun mood and wanted to do a few hard launches prior to the top-speed run.

It's an auto. He can't drive. :flipoff:

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
Emission said:
Jimmy,

A few questions:

DSC off: My guess is because the rear end is on jack stands.

Jimmy has an auto...hehe:flipoff:

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
CD-55 said:

....because the rear end is on jack stands.

ROFL! :lmao:

With that in mind, we should be able to figure out the speed by looking at the tach and gearing.

I know the 6M needs 6th gear to hit top end - personal experience showed me 5th gear will only allow high 140's...

Someone? Anyone?

·
Automotive Monomaniac
10,706 Posts
!

JPinTO said:
I don't know what scarier... doing that speed on a public highway or doing that speed WHILE taking a picture. :yikes:
Actually:

1. Speed in excess of 125 mph
2. On a public highway
3. Taking a picture while driving
4. At night

Any two of those can get you killed.

·
OMGWTFBBQ
11,262 Posts
Re: !

Emission said:

Actually:

1. Speed in excess of 125 mph
2. On a public highway
3. Taking a picture while driving
4. At night

Any two of those can get you killed.
What do you mean any two? I assume that the word "Driving at a" should be placed in front of #1 and "Driving" in front of #2 and #4.

Do any single one of those and you could well end up dead through no fault of your own.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
450HP & 3.15 Gearing

Emission:

As for your question....

I thought about the same when I first installed the 3.15 differential because I knew I was going to S/C the car later on when Dinan supercharger becomes available. And I didn't want to loose too much top-speed because the car only has 5-speed (I rather my car to be Horsepower-limited a.k.a Drag-limited than Gear-Limited). Dinan tested a S/C 540i to drag-limited at almost 193mph.

The thing I found out after I installed the 3.15 is the RPM got up about 300RPM on every gear. Yes, the RPM seems a little high on normal speed (80~110mph) but I can live with it.

The good thing (which I realized later on after the 3.15) is when I floor the car at 160mph +, the needle of the RPM gauge gets high (5000 RPM +) in 5th gear and it actually slows down; while you see the needle of the speedometer goes MUCH faster than the RPM gauge.

I don¡¦t know what¡¦s the gear-limited top speed on the 3.15, a member of our forum has asked earlier and I did inquire at the other forum but didn¡¦t get a straight answer. Another thing is although the factory limits my gear to stop at 6500RPM, my 1,2,3,4 gears did go all the way to 7000+ RPM thanks to the Dinan download. I¡¦m going to try that on my 5th gear soon.

There are a few calculations from Roadfly members. They say the 3.15 goes up to 185mph and the 2.82 goes to 200mph, which I don¡¦t think it¡¦s rather high. Do you have any reliable calculations?

Also it was a task talking the pictures because I need to have my left knee controlling the steering wheel while holding the digital camera on my hand, and I have to push the button on the computer to see the actual-speed at the same time.

Phewww¡K. So much for a stupid move! Well worth it IMHO. I'm a crazy man, and crazy man does crazy things.

·
I'm a Mac
17,699 Posts
Re: 450HP & 3.15 Gearing

Jimmy540i.com said:

Also it was a task talking the pictures because I need to have my left knee controlling the steering wheel while holding the digital camera on my hand, and I have to push the button on the computer to see the actual-speed at the same time.

Phewww¡K. So much for a stupid move! Well worth it IMHO. I'm a crazy man, and crazy man does crazy things.
Jimmy,

I don't think you're crazy, I think you're brilliant. The things you've done to upgrade your 540i, and the fact that you're exploiting every ounce of your performance mods--I for one think that your genius simply isn't appreciated by the simpled-minded wanna'be's that lurk/post here.

What say this weekend you try to get some pix of you driving the car at 200+ mph?

:D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Next time take the picture as you hang out the moonroof................... " I have always wanted to know what it looks like at 140+ from that angle"

Thanks in advance !

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.