Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Official Contest Rules:

1. Review the large picture of the Bavarian Princess by clicking on my sig pic.

2. Particular attention should be given to the size of my stock rims.

3. Note that the Bavarian Princess has the standard (non-sport) suspension.

4. Note that 90% of my driving is commuting in/out of NYC.

5. Note that only when the occasional occasion (?) presents itself, do I get to use the Step manual mode and ride some twisties. I do so whenever I can, but that's not the primary purpose of the car.

Then, please submit your official contest entry by replying to this post. What tires should I buy, and where should I buy them? (Like anyone is going to tell me anywhere other than tirerack? :lmao: ) Please explain/justify your recommendation.

First prize: Nothing.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
ContiTouringContacts. They are by far the quietest, smoothest, and most comfortable touring tires I've ever owned. They're cheap (replace all 4 corners for less than $400!), grip is very good for an all season TOURING tire (H rated), and they wear SLOW. My wife managed to put 30,000 miles on it and it's still got 60% tread left, it could easily go 45,000-50,000 miles without sever abuse. That and it's the OEM tire of choice for BMW should be reason enough.

T

·
0 Posts
Give us some more detail. How much daily comfort are you willing to sacrifice for those occasional jaunts? How much does road noise bug you? How much does feeling road imperfections bug you or how much do you like feeling the road? When you do drive hard, how hard? And how much does your frugality come into play? In other words, does getting at least, say 30K miles out of your tires matter to you? Or are you fine with getting less than 15K?

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
Hack-

I thought you put S-03s on your wife's car? Glad to hear some positive news about the contitourings. I'm sick of the tramlining from high performance tires (my "light" retrofit steering conspires w/ the tramling tires to create an unsetting floaty feeling) and am really thinking about getting a nice set of touring tires next. How much worse is the handling? Do the tires squeal like pigs when pushed around corners?

The HACK said:
ContiTouringContacts. They are by far the quietest, smoothest, and most comfortable touring tires I've ever owned. They're cheap (replace all 4 corners for less than $400!), grip is very good for an all season TOURING tire (H rated), and they wear SLOW. My wife managed to put 30,000 miles on it and it's still got 60% tread left, it could easily go 45,000-50,000 miles without sever abuse. That and it's the OEM tire of choice for BMW should be reason enough.

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking for all-season tires.

TD, I'm not going to answer those questions. That's what I want to hear from you; what you'd pick if you were in my situation. I'm not going to give you guidance to make you tell me what you think I want to hear.

BMW uses (or at least used) more than Contis for OEM. My car came with Michelins.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
I'd sugest Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (All Season) as my first choice. It's quite expensive up front, but cost per mile should be significantly lower than a high performance sport tire. However, it will be higher than any all-season that I know of. This tire is supposedly the best all around tire on the market right now, including decent snow performance, if needed.

·
10,856 Posts
The HACK said:
ContiTouringContacts were LOUD, ROUGH, tramlined and generally just competed with Yoko Avid H4s for worst tire I have ever owned.
Brodgestone Potenza RE950s are nearly silent on the right pavement and offer stunning wet traction. I intend to replace them with S-03s simply because I think they're a bit too soft and cushy (although they are FAR better than the contitourings... They provide a much softer ride with less tramlining, but are more responsive to steering input.)

·
10,856 Posts
robg said:
Hack-

I thought you put S-03s on your wife's car? Glad to hear some positive news about the contitourings. I'm sick of the tramlining from high performance tires (my "light" retrofit steering conspires w/ the tramling tires to create an unsetting floaty feeling) and am really thinking about getting a nice set of touring tires next. How much worse is the handling? Do the tires squeal like pigs when pushed around corners?

ContiTourings howl like banshees in the corners. :p They tramline pretty badly, too, and they have almost no rain traction.

·
2001 M3:Stick, what else?
3,300 Posts
I'd go with the Pilot Sport A/S if price was not an issue.

But, for the value move, I'd get the Sumitomo HTR+. If they are anything like the HTRZII's which I currently have, then I'm sure they would be an excellent tire. Alternately, the Dunlop SP5000 is the value brand name of choice. I seriously doubt that the Pilot A/S is twice the tire for twice the money.

I find the comfort and noise excellent on the Dunlop/Sumitomo tires even with low profile 17" wheels.

Check out the subjective surveys:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhpas.jsp

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
robg said:
Hack-

S-03s went on my car. ContiSportContact IIs went on my wife's car. It came originally with ContiTourings and I'm very happy with them, very little tramlining, very comfortable, 85% of the performance of a high perf. summer tire for half the price, perfect for what Fuselier describe as his predicament. They'll provide enough hold for the few jaunts down a twisty road yet mild mannered enough for the rough roads of N.Y.

All tires squeal like pigs when pushed around corners. Some tires just HOWL instead of squeal (S-03s).

Fuselier, I KNOW BMWs come with OEM Michelins. Just pointing out that BMW picked ContiTourings as one of the tires they offer so it can't be all that bad...And they're certainly a lot cheaper than the Michelins.

·
Rest in peace, Coach
9,106 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

ContiTouringContacts were LOUD, ROUGH, tramlined and generally just competed with Yoko Avid H4s for worst tire I have ever owned.
Brodgestone Potenza RE950s are nearly silent on the right pavement and offer stunning wet traction. I intend to replace them with S-03s simply because I think they're a bit too soft and cushy (although they are FAR better than the contitourings... They provide a much softer ride with less tramlining, but are more responsive to steering input.)
That's almost the exact opposite of what I experienced. The ContiTourings where QUIET and the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas on my Ci were LOUD. In fact all the Bridgestone tires I've had were LOUD, the Turanzas and the S-03s.

And I've had absolutely no tramline problems with the ContiTourings. :dunno: ContiSportContact IIs are another matter all together.

·
Crotchety Old Fart
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Actually, 195/65-15.

Strange, but true. Little girly-man econobox wheels. But at least they are a nice-looking design, even if they are wrapped in big, fat rubber donuts.

·
10,856 Posts
The HACK said:

That's almost the exact opposite of what I experienced. The ContiTourings where QUIET and the OEM Bridgestone Turanzas on my Ci were LOUD. In fact all the Bridgestone tires I've had were LOUD, the Turanzas and the S-03s.

And I've had absolutely no tramline problems with the ContiTourings. :dunno: ContiSportContact IIs are another matter all together.
Maybe all is relative... The S-03s are definitely loud... My Mom's S-03 clad S55 AMG is louder inside than MY car is, which is certainly indicative... It's also the one thing that may keep me from putting S-03s on my car when it comes time... I do far too much touring in my touring. :) I'm not sure I want to do 1000 miles trips on S-03s.

I still say that the ContiTourings are a pretty poor choice, though. Compared to the RE950s (or the MXV4+ whihc probably came on fuse's car), I really strongly dislike them.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
For A/S tires, I'd choose between:

1. Michelin Pilot A/S

2. Dunlop 5000

3. Bridgestone RE950

Rather than go into a long winded explanation of why I picked these, just read all the user reviews on tirerack. The Dunlop seems to be the most bang for the buck, and has gotten tons of positive reviews. Same for the RE950's. I think the Michelins were rated #1 overall, but they are pricey.

·
non sequitur
888 Posts
That tire size really restricts on any sort of performance rubber that you could get. I know you can get away with sticking 205s on 195s, but if you want something for 15" wheels, you really have no choice but to compromise on tire performance as most of the better varieties are not available in that size.

I'd only pick the Bridgestone RE950 if you cannot, or will not change wheel size to at least 16"

fuselier said:
Actually, 195/65-15.

Strange, but true. Little girly-man econobox wheels. But at least they are a nice-looking design, even if they are wrapped in big, fat rubber donuts.

·
King of Rear Clunks
12,903 Posts
Of the tires available in that size, taking certin things into consideration, my choice is:

Bridgestone Potenza RE950

I have a friend who is very picky about tires on his 93 Camry, which obviously doesn't have very high performance thresholds. I have seen him get rid of unsatisfactory tires at <3000mi without flinching.

His all-time favorite used to be the old Yokohama AVS S4-Z but the RE950 has now supersceeded it. They have good grip, minimal noise/tramlining, good tirewear (so far) but no report on wet traction yet due to the weather here.

·
superwagon pilot
1,388 Posts
Kaz said:
Of the tires available in that size, taking certin things into consideration, my choice is:

Bridgestone Potenza RE950

I have a friend who is very picky about tires on his 93 Camry, which obviously doesn't have very high performance thresholds. I have seen him get rid of unsatisfactory tires at <3000mi without flinching.

His all-time favorite used to be the old Yokohama AVS S4-Z but the RE950 has now supersceeded it. They have good grip, minimal noise/tramlining, good tirewear (so far) but no report on wet traction yet due to the weather here.
I'm about to put RE950s on my Audi (same size wheel as Fuse). I need an all season commuting tire with some decent dry/wet handling. Based solely on the reviews on tirerack, cost and my experience with my wife's Re730s

1 - 20 of 32 Posts