BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my first BMW this morning, an '08 535xi wagon, Deep Sea Blue, Natural Brown/light poplar, Steptronic, park distance, iPod, premium package, cold weather package, nav, sat radio. I've not driven it enough to get much other than an initial "yeah!" impression. Other impressions in sitting in it and playing with the controls:

The leather is lighter and more orangey than I recall, although I'm happy with it; the wood is beautiful and the stain matches throughout but the piece on the right rear door was obviously pieced together; my Verizon Blackberry 8703e works well with Bluetooth and even (unexpectedly) uploads my phone directory; the Deep Sea Blue is stunning--strongly recommend for anyone who wants to get out of the BMW monotone rut without getting garish; the voice command is frustrating but I'm already getting better at it; iDrive seems complicated but I think the learning curve is pretty steep; there is less rear seat leg room than I remembered although still adequate; the standard seats are very comfortable--certainly the equal of my current Audi A6; the standard audio system is adequate, but not as good as the Bose on my Audi; the nav system is frustrating so far as it tried to send me in a clearly wrong direction when I deviated off course coming home from the dealer, so the jury is out there.

I will try to post pictures over the next week.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yes, congrats! :thumbup:

Can't wait to see the pics....

·
Slave to the Details
164 Posts
Here're some pictures of your car's twin... my wife just got it last Saturday.

I'd love to give my driving impressions, but I haven't had a chance to drive it yet, since I'm on assignment in Virginia... :bawling:

Wife's happy, though. :)

·
Registered
2020 BMW 530i
337 Posts
Congrats on the ride, please don***8217;t forget the interior pics, I am thinking of the same combo.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Congratulations! I am so jealous! I will have to look for you around town. I pick mine up in Munich on the 28th Sept. Enjoy your ride.

Bernie

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have some more observationsnow that I've had the car for all of three days. First, it drives wonderfully--tight and accurate steering, well-controlled ride, tracks like it's on rails. Bod lean in curves is a bit more than I would like but it is a big improvement over my 2000 Audi A6 2.7T.

I am also coming to like the interior color. It is lighter than the catalog and, I think, previous series' Natural Brown, but it looks great with the Deep Sea Blue and light poplar trim. I found another wood trim section that was pieced together--on the front passenger door--but at least this one was book-matched, unlike the one on the rear right door.

My big gripe so far is the door armrests. They tilt down and aren't very wide, so my left elbow tends to slide off it. Funny that the driving position makes me want to use the armrest; I noticed in my Audi this morning that I don't use the armrest when driving.

Finally, on Saturday morning I had the car parked nose forward down a steep driveway for a couple of hours. When I started it afterward there was a serious sounding message on the iDrive screen about my oil level. I figured it might be a function of the newness and being parked that way, turned it off and sat on a level surface for a few minutes. When I restarted the message was gone.

Overall, I'm loving the car. I'm a bit dismayed by the side crash test results, although I doubt it would've changed my decision. I simply didn't think the new A6 drives that differently from my 2000 model and the E Class has a terrible reliability record.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts