BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my 2003 325xiT on Friday, and not more than 5 miles from the dealer it starts dialing the BMW emergency #. On the 2nd call, BMW Assist tells me to unplug the phone, give it at least 5 minutes, and try again, and if it keeps dialing, contact the dealer. It keeps dialing. Of course, the dealer is closed by then, so I plan on going back on Sat. While parked in the driveway, the alarm siren goes on and off intermittently.

I take it back to the dealer's service department on Saturday, and they say they've fixed the emergency calling, but need to order a part ("central control module") for the alarm and won't have it till mid-week at the earliest. I grumble, but take the car anyway, since it least it won't be calling for help all the time.

This time I get 15 miles from the dealer and it starts calling. I unplug the phone in disgust, but of course the NAV now tells me "BMW Assist Inactive" and keeps changing from the map display to either the BMW Assist screen or the phone dialing screen by itself.

I'll be calling my sales rep Monday to give him a piece of my mind, but I was wondering if anybody here had any advice for me - I can understand a bad control module, but I'm worried that the BMW Assist calls are due to a phone/harness/kit that's incompatible in some way with the 2003 NAV. My dealer says they've never done a CPT8000 phone in a 3-series before, so I'm nervous.

Also, I wonder if this is just the start of ongoing problems and if I should cut my losses and bail out now - my 1995 Eagle Talon (which I loved, but was a real lemon) started out this same way and just kept getting worse.

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,094 Posts
Stick it out

I've had my 2002 325 xiT for about a month now (navigation, but no integrated phone) and it's been terrific. What happened with the phone and alarm can be fixed. I think you'll be very happy with the car.

·
Double Bimmers
1,176 Posts
1) Like others have said stick it out.

2) Don't give the sales guy a hard time, he had nothing to do with it.

I bet it is something simple, because to install the phone and alarm required a lot of work. I would hate to see that labor bill! I bet something has a loose ground or a faulty controler and it will be a quick fix like that.

Also, since it was a new sale they did not want to take it for a 10 mile test drive, because then you would be wondering why there are 15 miles on your new car. It sux that something is wrong but from them to not have found it is understandable.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Like some of the guys said above . . . relax and don't worry about it. Whatever it was will be fixed . . . It's not like the car itself is having a problem. It's only the aftermarket (though I understand it's BMW's own accesseries) that are causing a problem.

Also, keep in mind, it's not your salesmans fault.

My father always has this thing when buying new cars (which is pretty often), he always tells the salesman to make sure everything works so he doesn't have to go back. Drive it, play around in it, do whatever it takes . . . just don't give him the car with a problem.

As for me, I can't stand the idea of someone other then myself driving or testing out my new car.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
CD-55 said:
Don't give the sales guy a hard time, he had nothing to do with it.
The dealer apparently has a "the sales rep is responsible for your car" policy (which I like; it sure beats the "sell 'em and leave 'em" policy I've had at other dealers). My main complaint is that they said they fixed the emergency calls (implying something wrong was found and corrected), but it still doesn't work properly (implying that there is still something wrong). How many mistakes/defects can there be in a single install?

I bet it is something simple, because to install the phone and alarm required a lot of work. I would hate to see that labor bill!
Well, I did see the labor bill! I paid list on the accessories plus dealer install (the phone alone was over $1800) because the dealer assured me that this way nothing would go wrong!
Also, since it was a new sale they did not want to take it for a 10 mile test drive, because then you would be wondering why there are 15 miles on your new car. It sux that something is wrong but from them to not have found it is understandable.
Actually, these problems appear even if the car isn't moving - the alarm goes off with the car off and locked, and the emergency calls happen while idling the engine in park. When I went to pick up the car, they had the wrong phone (AT&T TDMA instead of Verizon CDMA) and there was a scramble to swap it out. I don't know if that has anything to do with the problem, but that part of the work must have been rushed.

Other than this, I'm quite pleased with the dealer - the salesman took a lot of time to explain everything in the car, make sure I was happy with the paperwork/car, etc. Unfortunately, these faults seem to all be in the dealer-installed options, so I don't know what to think about the dealer, overall. I expect I'll know more once I talk to my rep on Monday and have the car fixed (hopefully for good) once the parts come in.

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alan F said:
Terry, did you buy the car on Long Island ?
Queens. To be more specific, BMW of Bayside. As I mentioned, aside from these problems I'm quite happy with the dealer. I just dropped in on them back in August after my Talon got totaled, to see what they had. The sales rep spent about an hour talking to me, showing different models, and mentioning he used to sell Talons in a previous job. I was so impressed with him and the dealership overall that I decided to buy from them even though they weren't even close to being the nearest dealership to me.

·
Here since day one
7,187 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:

Queens. To be more specific, BMW of Bayside. As I mentioned, aside from these problems I'm quite happy with the dealer. I just dropped in on them back in August after my Talon got totaled, to see what they had. The sales rep spent about an hour talking to me, showing different models, and mentioning he used to sell Talons in a previous job. I was so impressed with him and the dealership overall that I decided to buy from them even though they weren't even close to being the nearest dealership to me.
I am pretty sure 'GeoTopaz' bought his 330i from them and he was supposed to pick it up yesterday but was put off until Monday . . . it really is a small world . . .

Anyway, enjoy your car for all it's good points and don't stress over this problem . . . it will get fixed . . . I remember when I got my 330 2 yrs ago and I stressed over so many little things that it actually took me a few months before I realized what an incredible car it was.

Enjoy and welcome to the club !!!!

PS (now you gotta join the BMWCCA) one of the side benefits is that you get $500 back on a purchase of a new 3 series (though you gotta belong for a year first so maybe on your next one you'll get the $$)

·
Shiftin
404 Posts
Yeah, Alan is right. I purchased from BMW of Bayside and had an excellent experience at the time of purchasing with my dealer. He gave me a great deal on the car and spent a lot of time with me to close the deal. He also treated me well on my trade in and didn't look at my car through a magnifying glass, even though my car was immaculate and may as well have been new. I was told that my delivery was going to be mid-August when I placed the order. He was able to modify a car they already had in the production process to push up my order. I was told the car would be ready on saturday and then he changed his mind on friday and said Monday. Monday was my dealer's day off and he said he was willing to come in for my delivery. After posting my experience on this website and doing some thinking I decided to call him back and push the date to Tuesday because one day would not make a difference to me at this point and I don't want him to think he is doing me any favors.

Overall my experience on the sales side is very good in comparison to my experience with Life Quality when I bought my '01 325cic. I know how you feel about your 325 because I had tons of problems with my 325, but try to get all of these little probs fixed and enjoy your car for what it is, a BMW. You will see the pleasure you get out of driving your 325 will make you forget about the little things that will eventually get fixed. :thumbup:

That BMWCCA 500 bonus is a great deal and I can't wait to get my check!

·
The Original Dr. Phil
10,985 Posts
Let me echo others here, give them the chance to fix the problems:)

But I'd remissed it I did not ask, why in the world did you pay $1800 for a car phone:confused: :confused: :confused: :dunno: What a rip off:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
595 Posts
lexus is lookin' better and better....

.....isn't it?

(heavy sarcasm implied).

didja buy the car to drive it or to use the damn phone?

don't worry about the phone, they'll fix it. the first time the roads are covered in snow, you'll love your car.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
DougDogs said:

That must have been a typo...no one in their right mind would try to charge that much for a phone???would they???
BMW does. ... but then it is integrated into the car, has the BMW marquee on the phone, and drives the OCD crowd batty. Supply and demand. Huge profit margin.

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
DougDogs said:
Doesn't make sense.....you have to pay 1800 to piss off other drivers on the road using a stupid cell phone?????? What the heck is so important about this phone that you have to pay 1800 for it??? Golden buttons???

I bet it gets *great* reception too:thumbdwn:
Works with the steering controls, displays call info on the radio display, mutes stereo, uses built in mic in roof console

Totally hands free, so no one should notice it

Link:

See for yourself

·
3,762 Posts
Terry Kennedy said:
I'll be calling my sales rep Monday to give him a piece of my mind, but I was wondering if anybody here had any advice for me - I can understand a bad control module, but I'm worried that the BMW Assist calls are due to a phone/harness/kit that's incompatible in some way with the 2003 NAV. My dealer says they've never done a CPT8000 phone in a 3-series before, so I'm nervous.
Did your salesman assemble your car?

·
There and back again
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
blackdawg said:
didja buy the car to drive it or to use the damn phone?
To drive it. But my driving enjoyment is a bit dampened when the stereo cuts out every few minutes so I can talk to the BMW Assist people about imaginary emergencies.

ff said:
Did your salesman assemble your car?
No, but as I mentioned in a prior reply, he's my point of contact at the dealer and is responsible for my satisfaction.

To address some of the other comments in this thread:

When I went to the dealer, I was looking for the best car to suit my requirements/taste. I had not come to any conclusion as to which model(s) I would like best. I tried the 3/5/7 as well as the X5. It worked out that a loaded 325xiT fit my requirements best. How loaded? Well, it came it at $49.8K...

I am not one of the people you see yakking on the phone all the time. I'm semi-retired, but when I'm on the cell phone it is darned important - it may well be your Internet connectivity (or that of a site you're connecting to) that I'm fixing.

Here's an update on the phone problem - I drove to my Dad's in NJ today to show him the car. On the way up, the system worked flawlessly. On the way back, after dark, it continuously tried to place emergency calls (which didn't work as I didn't have the phone connected for the obvious reason). The display also cycled from the emergency screen to the regular phone dialing screen, with occasional blips of the GPS screen. It also completely reset once, reverting to the "T20.10 / BMW" on the display, and several times it partially reset, with the map display changing to the default scale.

When I got home, I looked under the passenger seat to retrieve some change my Dad lost in the seat, and I found some tools under the seat. They look like stubby open-end wrenches made out of black plastic, with a pivot in the handle end. My guess is that they're for the cell phone antenna.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.