BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, My sis just picked up a 2009 650i coupe about 2 weeks ago, and loving every minute of it! It's fully loaded. The only things that it doesn't have are the lane departure warning and the adaptive cruise. Other then that, it has everything. We live in Maryland, and I was wondering how the car will do during the winter? Will she be fine with the tires that are currently on them? Remember, the car is fully loaded so it does have the sports package. Thanks!

Pics when I can!

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Congratulations to you and your sister! Except for severe winter conditions, like deep snow and ice, you should experience no problems with winter driving. I live in Silver Spring. Fortunately, our winters are generally not so bad and the road crews do an excellent job in keeping the roads relatively dry and ice free. Make sure to use a good brush-less carwash, and under carriage wash feature, during the winter.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Well, My sis just picked up a 2009 650i coupe about 2 weeks ago, and loving every minute of it! It's fully loaded. The only things that it doesn't have are the lane departure warning and the adaptive cruise. Other then that, it has everything. We live in Maryland, and I was wondering how the car will do during the winter? Will she be fine with the tires that are currently on them? Remember, the car is fully loaded so it does have the sports package. Thanks!

Pics when I can!
Yo might want to get a winter tire setup. The sport package comes with summer tires.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Yo might want to get a winter tire setup. The sport package comes with summer tires.
I'm running Michelin Pilots year-round with no problems. Of course, I leave the car home in the garage when there's snow on the road.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations to you and your sister! Except for severe winter conditions, like deep snow and ice, you should experience no problems with winter driving. I live in Silver Spring. Fortunately, our winters are generally not so bad and the road crews do an excellent job in keeping the roads relatively dry and ice free. Make sure to use a good brush-less carwash, and under carriage wash feature, during the winter.
I live in Potomac, I'm not that far from you. I shouldn't have any problems then!

Thanks!

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats on the new 6! Post some pics when you can! :D

Zack
Pics were up, but my photobucket bandwidth as exceeded. I'll post them up with a new account

·
Registered
551 Posts
I live in Colorado just outside of Denver and this is the second 650i I have had - 2006 and 2010. The cars work just fine in the snow as long as you replace the standard tires with four snow tires. There are a few things to remember. In deep snow you are plowing snow and it is easier to high center. Other than that the electronic stability control and traction control give you surprising skid and traction control. Make sure you read that portion of the manual so you know how to use the system to take full advantage of their capabilities. The 650is have been my daily driver and yes I ski regularly. They go up the mountain without issue most of time. Just remember the car will never compete with a four wheel drive in snow.

·
Redshark
102 Posts
I can't believe you guys are misleading this poor guy. The only time this vehicle performs perfectly in the snow is when you keep it in the garage. I went through a winter in New York and crossed my fingers every time I went out. You definitely have to buy snow tires. I tried to buy some last year but Canada brought all the available stock. I guess I have to go shopping early this year.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I can't believe you guys are misleading this poor guy. The only time this vehicle performs perfectly in the snow is when you keep it in the garage. I went through a winter in New York and crossed my fingers every time I went out. You definitely have to buy snow tires. I tried to buy some last year but Canada brought all the available stock. I guess I have to go shopping early this year.
Nobody is misleading him, most of us told him he should get a winter tire setup. Whether snow or not he should get them since summer tires get hard and lose grip on dry roads when temps fall below 45 degress.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Congratulations on the new car! Very cool!! I'm in Virginia, and I kept my old 1998 4Runner to avoid both rain and snow, so I can't answer your question very well. One thing to take into consideration however, was whether your sister's last vehicle was a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive car. If she's been driving front-wheel for a long time, she'll learn that her 6 responds differently even on wet pavement.

Hope she keeps it safe, and away from all of the other crazy MD and VA drivers that come out when it snows around here! :)

Dennis

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, my sis wants to put on all season tires on the car, what do you guys suggest?

P.S. Pics to come tomorrow!

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Ok, my sis wants to put on all season tires on the car, what do you guys suggest?

P.S. Pics to come tomorrow!
I highly recommend Michelin Pilot A/Ss. Although I wouldn't necessarily drive this car in the harshest winter conditions - heavy snow, ice, etc. - the fact remains that the 6 can be driven throughout the winter. It just requires the correct tyres, a little common sense, and patience. BMWs are engineered to be driven in almost all types of weather conditions. For a car from "The Black Forest" to not be capable of being driven in the winter makes no sense.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I tend to agree...hate this car in the snow!

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I highly recommend Michelin Pilot A/Ss. Although I wouldn't necessarily drive this car in the harshest winter conditions - heavy snow, ice, etc. - the fact remains that the 6 can be driven throughout the winter. It just requires the correct tyres, a little common sense, and patience. BMWs are engineered to be driven in almost all types of weather conditions. For a car from "The Black Forest" to not be capable of being driven in the winter makes no sense.
We don't get harsh winters here in MD. Maybe some slush, but that's about it. We got lucky this year though, we got 2 feet of snow and it was all gone within a week, it rained.

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
I tend to agree...hate this car in the snow!
Any car can be driven in winter conditions, some cars can even be driven in a foot of snow, but most cars cannot be driven in more than a foot of snow. I've driven my M6 in several inches of snow; I would have preferred not to, but was caught at work when the storm arrived and had to drive home. Although I could have left the car at work (underground on-premises garage) and taken the Metro (D.C.'s subway system), I felt confident and comfortable driving on the route I needed to take to go home. Right, the 6 is a heavy, rear wheel drive, powerfully torqued automobile - not a great recipe for driving in snow, but not impossible. [My Smart actually does better in the snow than the 6.] The point is simply that it's not impossible or implausible to drive the 6 in snowy conditions. Moreover, generally speaking on the east coast road crews are quite good at making road surfaces safe and passable in advance of, and certainly quickly after, snowstorms. A point to certainly bear in mind in this connection is that no type of vehicle is immune from the laws of physics. Simply put, mass and velocity will always affect stopping distance and, particularly so, when traction is lessened. On the subject of traction, for rear wheel drive vehicles it's always prudent to have as much weight as possible over the rear wheels; so, make certain to have a full tank of gas in addition to being equipped with the proper tyres. Also, try to have a light foot on the gas pedal and, if possible, always start from a stationary position in second gear (or equivalent).

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Leslierc, I did a search for winter tires on discount tire and tire rack to no avail, what kind of winter tires do you suggest?

·
Sejanus
5,785 Posts
Leslierc, I did a search for winter tires on discount tire and tire rack to no avail, what kind of winter tires do you suggest?
If you're looking for a strictly winter weather tyre, I suggest the Bridgestone Blizzak - about $150/per at Sears. On the other hand, an all season tyre, like a Michelin Pilot, would probably suffice for our part of the country. Both types of tyres are available from NTB.

·
Been there, Done that.
5,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
If you're looking for a strictly winter weather tyre, I suggest the Bridgestone Blizzak - about $150/per at Sears. On the other hand, an all season tyre, like a Michelin Pilot, would probably suffice for our part of the country. Both types of tyres are available from NTB.
Thanks!I'll go with the all seasons then! I wouldn't be able to get a deal off of tire rack for the tires? Where do you suggest getting them mounted and balanced?

P.S. Nice car. Love the color.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts