BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Picked up a 318is - shockingly good

1438 13
So I recently picked up a 1996 318is! I honestly haven’t been this excited about a car in a while lol. the best part is that I got the car without spending any money because I was able to trade some motorcycle gear for it. I’m guessing the guy (who is a mechanic) has someone who wasn’t able to pickup their car or pay the bill so he didn’t mind letting it go.

Incredibly, it’s pretty dialed in… it’s aligned properly, has raceland coilovers, a chassis mounted shifter, a 3.45 LSD, a new (used) transmission, new radiator, and the A/C belt has been removed (presumably for the 1hp increase). The only initial issue was an oil leak but when I checked it out I found that the oil pan bolt wasn’t torqued to spec so now things have seemed to be fixed.

The clear coat is trashed so I plan to wet sand the car then apply 2K clearcoat.

Any suggestions on the next best steps for me to take with my 318is? Also, where would you suggest for cheap replacement parts? (Things like door handles, side markers, etc… guessing eBay but not sure)

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Welcome to Bimmerfest!

Calypsorot, one of my favorite colors! I hope the re-clearcoat works. My Bostongruen 318is was too far gone to recoat before my daughter ran it out of oil and killed it at almost 290,000 miles. :mad::cry:
The lower power of the 4 is great for teaching momentum. You learn to carry speed through the twisties instead of relying on horsepower to carry your speed. They are just as nimble as those with a 6.

eBay parts are ok, just read the reviews and seller feedback before you buy. I won't buy from a seller with less than "body temperature" feedback rating (98.6....LOL). Also pay attention to how they handle negative feedback. A seller that makes no reply or disses the buyer for leaving negative feedback should be avoided. I've been an eBay user for 20+ years and can count on one hand the number of bad experiences I've had in over 2,000 transactions.
Thank you for that feedback! Much appreciated. My car is at 231k at the moment.
Fingers crossed that the wet sanding and clear works because I think a finished car in this color would be amazing. I spent today preparing it.

Attachments

Unfortunately there are not BMW post market parts. Find a junk yard with healthy supply of BMWS
So I recently picked up a 1996 318is! I honestly haven’t been this excited about a car in a while lol. the best part is that I got the car without spending any money because I was able to trade some motorcycle gear for it. I’m guessing the guy (who is a mechanic) has someone who wasn’t able to pickup their car or pay the bill so he didn’t mind letting it go.

Incredibly, it’s pretty dialed in… it’s aligned properly, has raceland coilovers, a chassis mounted shifter, a 3.45 LSD, a new (used) transmission, new radiator, and the A/C belt has been removed (presumably for the 1hp increase). The only initial issue was an oil leak but when I checked it out I found that the oil pan bolt wasn’t torqued to spec so now things have seemed to be fixed.

The clear coat is trashed so I plan to wet sand the car then apply 2K clearcoat.

Any suggestions on the next best steps for me to take with my 318is? Also, where would you suggest for cheap replacement parts? (Things like door handles, side markers, etc… guessing eBay but not sure)

Pick-n-pull it is then 💪
Unfortunately there are not BMW post market parts. Find a junk yard with healthy supply of BMWS
I got through the first part of painting today. I’m learning a lot and fortunately things have been going well so far

Attachments

Finished my DIY paint job and added Style 68 Wheels.

Next up: spoiler, front lip, clear side markers, and euro turn signals.

Attachments

Thank you! I learned a ton. I’m glad it turned out okay so now I’m even more motivated to keep going
Well done, sir! (y)
Seeing those Style 68s reminds me that I bought a set (5 of them) in very good condition for $100. Stupidly sold them for the same price days later. 20/20 hindsight, wish I had them back!:confused:
Jeez! I got these for $350 with great Michelin tires and felt like I found an awesome deal. But $100 for 5 is next level
Seeing those Style 68s reminds me that I bought a set (5 of them) in very good condition for $100. Stupidly sold them for the same price days later. 20/20 hindsight, wish I had them back!:confused:
It's looking incredible. Well done! (y)
Added some pieces to enhance the Non-M3 look. I like the looks of the 318is and simply wanted to bring them out a little more. Although the M3 body kits look nice and are easy/cheap to do, I didn’t want to go that route.

Next up, I’ll replace the oil filter housing gasket (leaking a lot), the vacuum hose leading to the idle control valve (small tear), and the throttle body gasket (since I have to remove it when accessing ICV hose)…

Attachments

Reactions: hornhospital
1 - 14 of 14 Posts