Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For BMW's I have owned
Sold it 1972 2002
Sold it 1997 e36 m3 4dr dinan S/C
sold it 1988 325 e super ETA stroker
In garage is 1988 e30 m3
This is my first BMW suv 2006 x3 3.0 has 57,000 miles.
I had a leased 2011 mazda 6 just couldn't get past the handling so traded it in and bought this x3.
Impressions are so far very sporty nice Bmw feel.
The x3 Seems to handle great.The hp is 225 not to bad wouldn't mind getting 240hp closer to a stock e36 m3.
Looks like the mods for Hp are AFE CAI they say 20 hp seems a bit much any one done it?
Dinan tune / chip not sure other chips out there looks like 5 hp gain.
The muffler would be a thought stock doesn't look to nice and sound is quite.I'm sure a after market would be louder better flow and polished tips. maybe 5-10 hp gain.
The car came with 17 chrome wheels not sure if I'm feeling the look or not.
here is a picture any suggestions appreciated thanks.
ow erased wife face lol don't want to advertise her.

·
Registered
106 Posts
that is hilarious about the erasing face! First BMW for me-- 2004 x3, 2.5....it's very nice to me soo far
i bought it at 90,000 miles and i've already put about 2500 miles on it! I love the drive/feel of it, especially
since winter is approaching and have heated steering wheel and heated seats!
I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing "weird" ever breaks on it--- before buying it,
i read through all these posts about peoples problems with them....i am just hoping I WONT BE ONE OF THEM!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got a warranty just in case :)Being I owned a few BMW i know how they have there issues and the cost is high.
I did my first mod already read about it and tried it :)
disconnected the actuator in the trunk for the muffler butter fly.
makes sense to me better flow means more hp.I try it for fun as long it doesn't throw a check engine light.yeah I know my wife wouldn't want me posting her picture for all to see.
your car looks nice with awd should be good in the snow :)I don't miss the snow only the fall with beautiful leaves .

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have never seen the butterfly closed in my exhaust pipe, when is it supposed to be closed? If I were going to keep the chrome rims I would try for an all chrome grill, make the wheels look like they belong... do chrome backs exist for our side mirrors? I have only driven a couple thousand miles in my '04 and I like it a lot, I am glad you like yours too. I am very pleased we bought the X3 instead of an X5, I was replacing a nice Mountaineer and the X3 feels so nice, I doubt the X5 would have been that different from my Mountaineer.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
The car came with 17 chrome wheels not sure if I'm feeling the look or not.

here is a picture any suggestions appreciated thanks.
Not just the look - chrome rims are out of character for an X3 IMO - but,

assuming they were aftermarket plated, some manufacturers (e.g. Porsche, Nissan) specifically warn against them.

Because of the differing thermal expansion indices of the chrome layer and the underlying alloy, peeling can occur.
If this happens at the bead, air loss problems can result, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Not sure how costly, but the chrome plating can be removed if you like the basic wheels.

Don't think you gain any HP by disabling the tailpipe flapper as it is closed only at low revs.
But if you like the sound better - that makes it worthwhile.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have never seen the butterfly closed in my exhaust pipe, when is it supposed to be closed? If I were going to keep the chrome rims I would try for an all chrome grill, make the wheels look like they belong... do chrome backs exist for our side mirrors? I have only driven a couple thousand miles in my '04 and I like it a lot, I am glad you like yours too. I am very pleased we bought the X3 instead of an X5, I was replacing a nice Mountaineer and the X3 feels so nice, I doubt the X5 would have been that different from my Mountaineer.
look in your right pipe to see if you have it.it has a connection in drivers side trunk panel just un plug it and it stays open.in my experiences with cars the more free flowing exhaust makes for more HP.you can loose some bottom end with no back pressure.It is very minor but just is slight more rumble.I can't imagine it would effect gas mileage unless you drive it harder.
The key to HP is getting as much air into the chamber strong spark,proper fuel for optimal explosion.You need to get rid of all that exhaust as fast as you can.Long tube header's large diameter pipes and free flowing muffler makes for complete combo.I'm tight on cash now but in future Cold air intake ecu chip and borla exhaust would be nice.car will probably stay stock for a while.I can always plug in the connector if I want.If you are getting less gas mileage usually means getting more hp and using it unless it is running poor.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not just the look - chrome rims are out of character for an X3 IMO - but,

assuming they were aftermarket plated, some manufacturers (e.g. Porsche, Nissan) specifically warn against them.

Because of the differing thermal expansion indices of the chrome layer and the underlying alloy, peeling can occur.
If this happens at the bead, air loss problems can result, with potentially disastrous consequences.

Not sure how costly, but the chrome plating can be removed if you like the basic wheels.

Don't think you gain any HP by disabling the tailpipe flapper as it is closed only at low revs.
But if you like the sound better - that makes it worthwhile.
it came with the car I never been into chrome to much.I do like polished lips like whats on my m3.I prefer these wheels over some the other stock looking plain silver wheels I have seen.I'm guessing they are stock option .At first I didn't like the wheels kinda pimp but it does match the chrome/black kidney and chrome around windows.If I had it my way probably have some solid grey ,solid black, or polished lip black center wheels.
It costs 60-80 a wheel to remove the chrome I did it on my super eta.The other cost is mounting un mounting the wheels and paint.they are 17"

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
it came with the car I never been into chrome to much.I do like polished lips like whats on my m3.I prefer these wheels over some the other stock looking plain silver wheels I have seen.I'm guessing they are stock option .At first I didn't like the wheels kinda pimp but it does match the chrome/black kidney and chrome around windows.If I had it my way probably have some solid grey ,solid black, or polished lip black center wheels.
It costs 60-80 a wheel to remove the chrome I did it on my super eta.The other cost is mounting un mounting the wheels and paint.they are 17"
Keep them for winter wear tires and check classified thread for some nicer tire/wheel combos.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I got a warranty just in case :)Being I owned a few BMW i know how they have there issues and the cost is high.
I did my first mod already read about it and tried it :)
disconnected the actuator in the trunk for the muffler butter fly.
makes sense to me better flow means more hp.I try it for fun as long it doesn't throw a check engine light.yeah I know my wife wouldn't want me posting her picture for all to see.
your car looks nice with awd should be good in the snow :)I don't miss the snow only the fall with beautiful leaves .
blacktop--
as for warranty-- my husband said we'd just "deal with" issues as they arose, otherwise we'd be paying close to 3,000 more dollars for the "extended" warranty- as the first warranty was already expired..Although, i was thinking at the time it might be a good idea, seeing how any major job on the Beemer will be over 1,000 likely-- oh well *fingers crossed* we will see how it goes!
As for winter driving, YES- i really hope this vehicle handles well, it has a new set of Nokian Tires on it- which i've been told are great all-weather tires. Just can't wait for the summer again so i can drive around with the panoramic sunroof open! it's very nice in northern michigan! :thumbup:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
warranty I found is 2,600 100,000 additional miles or 5 years zero deductible 98.00 a month.I have owned a few bmw break.My.Wallet held true to mewish you the best on it .
I think I read it had 50/50 weight distribution so should help out in snow plus awd.The roof is Huge Kinda cool if you park over a airport or looking for UFO's :)
The new x3 would have been sick 300 hp o to 60 5.5 seconds impressive !I'm never satisfied with cars but I will do my best to enjoy it for 5 years if I can.I have to admit as of right now 3 days owning it I love it.I have the ultimate handling car in my garage and I can say I enjoy driving this suv.

·
Sanity is over rated
94 Posts
Bought a x3 with 50k this week, so far liking the car. I am hoping I won't need the warranty I passed on, but reading the forums thnking I should have opted for it.
I hope all the bugs are out of the vehicle and it serves better than the Larado I got rid of.
:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
congrats that's when i got mine.they should make a m version!I really have to say more I look at it and drive it I like it.I defiantly think the 2011 model with turbo would be the one to have but just happy to have such a great suv/sport.I think till you drive a x 3 you just wouldn't appreciate its handling .

·
Ukemi - that's how I roll
4,252 Posts
Bought a x3 with 50k this week, so far liking the car. I am hoping I won't need the warranty I passed on, but reading the forums thnking I should have opted for it.
I hope all the bugs are out of the vehicle and it serves better than the Larado I got rid of.
:)
It will. After owning several GFC jeeps, I bought a newly designed 2005 GFC laredo. Biggest POS I have ever owned. Horrible gas mileage, no torque at all on take off, and handling was like owning a yacht with wheels.

I traded it in after 9 months ownership for an X3. First X3 was a lemon, but this one MT 2008 is a great vehicle and handles the worst weather as if it is a dry crisp Sept morning.

Enjoy!

·
Sanity is over rated
94 Posts
It will. After owning several GFC jeeps, I bought a newly designed 2005 GFC laredo. Biggest POS I have ever owned. Horrible gas mileage, no torque at all on take off, and handling was like owning a yacht with wheels.

I traded it in after 9 months ownership for an X3. First X3 was a lemon, but this one MT 2008 is a great vehicle and handles the worst weather as if it is a dry crisp Sept morning.

Enjoy!
I had 2005 larado for a few a few years, handling was poor, transmission worked erratically, and it threw codes that baffled the dealer.
So far the X3 seems a major improvement and has some nice options, should have done this years ago. I'm just hoping I didn't buy a traded lemon.

·
Aficionado
3,016 Posts
Congrats on the new X3! Is it an auto?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
yes its a auto My wife and mom would got pissed if I got a stick :)
I bet the stick is even more blast to drive.My E30 m3 is a stick so I cruse that when I want to shift.Crazy I really love the x3 so far.i have owned allot of cars they did a great job on this suv.When I'm driving it it feels very sporty I have not driven it to aggressive yet but I have not noticed much body roll.If I had the cash defiantly the new turbo would been great.I think I might like it more than the x5 but x6 would be the top dog!I have noticed I'm getting 15.2 mpg ouch I thought supposed to be 20 mpg.I re connected the butterfly in exhaust to see if it makes a difference in mpg I don't think it does.I do think that it seems to have better throttle response with it hooked up so tried and and will just leave it stock.It is kinda bummer not much performance mods.I wonder if the CAI is worth the cash and a chip?
minimum 240 hp seems would be a better platform.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.