BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anything I should look for before I sign on the dotted line? it is an 89.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow, I thought you meant a Lexus IS......Don't post that in the E90 forum!!! lol :rofl: 318 or 325???? Hmmmm.....I used to have a IS myself.

-Good Luck
-e60lover:)

·
Registered
294 Posts
everything you'd look at on any car basically...

preferably, do a compression test on the engine

pull the valve cover, even if the dipstick looks ok and make sure everythings well

this is a pretty good list to print out and check each point on the car, you will never remember to do all of them unless you have a list...

http://mr2.com/TEXT/usedcarfaq.txt

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ran carfax - car comes back clean. I looked it over, and it needs some normal things for a 17 year old car. Tires are crap, the paint is great, but has hail damage. The motor pulls really hard. The front spoiler (under bumper) is missing the lower lip. The interior is VERY NICE! I was shocked. Their does not seem to be any leaks into the body, however there looks like there is a small oil leak coming from the oil pan gasket. All and all I think it is a VERY solid car - so I bought it. It drove me 2.5 hours home - so it cannot be too bad! ;)

Hello, my name is Josh - and I have a BMW problem again. (I have been without one for 6 years) :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
eh, I found more stuff when I got home - little stuff. But all and all I think I paid a fair price. It was a private sale, so it went well. I forgot how much fun it is to drive these cars! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Next week it is going to my eurospec man, and his team is going to go through the entire car. I have them fixing the two oil leaks...and then I will have a nice long list to work from after that! LOL! Then I am dropping it off at my friends body shop and their are going to put it on the table and make sure everything is in spec. Then I am ready to begin the project! :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lucky for me there is an a$$ for every seat if I needed to sell it! ;)

I have some big plans for this 325is, so even if some things are out-of-whack, it will not matter too much. However, I have been working on cars my whole life, and I can tell you this thing is in good shape for an 89.

·
1986 325es
28 Posts
Hey,

I bought my 1986 325es last year, it is in mint condition inside and out, so I know how you should approach this. What I would ask is if it has had the timing belt/water pump replaced, also if it has any rust. so when I asked the guy these things he said he wasn't sure if the timing belt had been taken care of, and I ended up talking him down 300$.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Kewl! Yeah, I bought it. It had a new timing belt 20K ago, so I am pretty happy. It is stamped right on the air box! :) I like that idea, I might want it other than there if I were to show it! LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts