BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Thank you for your prior assistance in my efforts to learn about all things BMW. I'm sure I've just begun, but your input has been mighty valuable.

I'm travelling from MA to NJ to pick up an '07 530xiT with 14xxx mi., manual tranny, and most options. The dealer has replaced the run flats with Goodyear F1 A/S and I *think* I'm good to go.

Being in MA, I've only seen pics of the car. Thus far DeSimone has been very good to work with. The sales manager has assured me if I find the car not to my liking, don't buy it - that simple.

So when I take delivery of the car, what do you suggest I do to shake it down/ensure everything is as it should be?

Fingers crossed!

·
Slave to the Details
164 Posts
With 14k, it should be in good shape. Take it for a drive... if there's any vibration from the front end or if the steering doesn't track dead straight start asking some hard questions and be prepared to walk away.

Heck, at that mileage it hasn't reached its first oil change yet... but if this is a CPO car I'm sure they did it anyway. Ask to see the maintenance record... has the first oil service been performed?

Ask if they put new pads and rotors on... they should have, but since you'll have the maintenance warranty not the end of the world if they haven't.

A manual touring! It does my heart good. Enjoy!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With 14k, it should be in good shape. Take it for a drive... if there's any vibration from the front end or if the steering doesn't track dead straight start asking some hard questions and be prepared to walk away.

Heck, at that mileage it hasn't reached its first oil change yet... but if this is a CPO car I'm sure they did it anyway. Ask to see the maintenance record... has the first oil service been performed?

Ask if they put new pads and rotors on... they should have, but since you'll have the maintenance warranty not the end of the world if they haven't.

A manual touring! It does my heart good. Enjoy!
Thanks! It is not a CPO car. Sales manager said as it is an '07 the cpo would have pushed the price too close to an '08, which I find to be a reasonable explanation. FWIW, buyer of the car was BMW headquarters.

Car still under all maint. & warranty, of course. Yes, it has had an oil change.

Manual Touring baby! :thumbup:

·
Slave to the Details
164 Posts
Thanks! It is not a CPO car. Sales manager said as it is an '07 the cpo would have pushed the price too close to an '08, which I find to be a reasonable explanation. FWIW, buyer of the car was BMW headquarters.

Car still under all maint. & warranty, of course. Yes, it has had an oil change.

Manual Touring baby! :thumbup:
Hmm... interesting. My '03 325iT was also a BMW corporate car. It was put in service in Dec '02 and I bought it CPO Oct '03. The price was MUCH lower than a comperable '04 (39k vs. 30k).

Apples and Oranges and all, but I have to say I don't find the sales manager's explanation to be reasonable. Certainly the CPO warranty is worth something, but the depreciation hit on an '07 should keep it well away from the price of an '08, particularly since the '08 has an upgraded engine.

What sort of warranty are they offering you? If you're handy around cars and comfortable doing the maintenance services yourself, then it's no big deal if it has no or a short maintenance warranty (you'll want to change that MTF yourself... not covered by BMW... every 30k miles... and don't forget the transfer case!). If it's got a solid repair warranty, you're set.

I guess I'd just pick a bit more at why they're not offering it CPO. Whether or not CPO is worth it to YOU is another question altogether. It might make sense to take it as is.

I suspect they figure they've already got the hook set on anyone who's looking at a MT 530iT. Not a huge market for these cars, but hey, you've got to respect the taste of those who drive them...

In any case, it's a very unique car and if it seems solid I'd certainly recommend paying whatever it's worth it to you.

Yours Aye

Ted

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmm... interesting. My '03 325iT was also a BMW corporate car. It was put in service in Dec '02 and I bought it CPO Oct '03. The price was MUCH lower than a comperable '04 (39k vs. 30k).

Apples and Oranges and all, but I have to say I don't find the sales manager's explanation to be reasonable. Certainly the CPO warranty is worth something, but the depreciation hit on an '07 should keep it well away from the price of an '08, particularly since the '08 has an upgraded engine.

What sort of warranty are they offering you? If you're handy around cars and comfortable doing the maintenance services yourself, then it's no big deal if it has no or a short maintenance warranty (you'll want to change that MTF yourself... not covered by BMW... every 30k miles... and don't forget the transfer case!). If it's got a solid repair warranty, you're set.

I guess I'd just pick a bit more at why they're not offering it CPO. Whether or not CPO is worth it to YOU is another question altogether. It might make sense to take it as is.

I suspect they figure they've already got the hook set on anyone who's looking at a MT 530iT. Not a huge market for these cars, but hey, you've got to respect the taste of those who drive them...

In any case, it's a very unique car and if it seems solid I'd certainly recommend paying whatever it's worth it to you.

Yours Aye

Ted
ted,

Sorry, what is the MTF?

Also, I'll be looking to extend the maint. & warranty, so I'm thinking I should be in good shape.

Oh - I keep seeing "OP" around here, which I can't quite figure out - something to do with the buyer?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello from a 530xiT owner also from MA.

I would ask for a copy of both the CarFax and printout of the service history. If the car's to your liking and there's any wiggle room in the negotiations, you might try to get them to throw in a set of rubber all weather floor mats as my dealer did for me. They are a must in NE winters. I also purchased the rubber mat for the cargo area. My dealer also included the latest navigation DVD.

Hope it works out...I LOVE mine :)

PS: I think 'OP' refers to original poster.

·
Slave to the Details
164 Posts
MTF= Manual Transmission Fluid aka gearbox oil.

xiTouring is right, OP = Original Poster.

Enjoy your wagon!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello from a 530xiT owner also from MA.

I would ask for a copy of both the CarFax and printout of the service history. If the car's to your liking and there's any wiggle room in the negotiations, you might try to get them to throw in a set of rubber all weather floor mats as my dealer did for me. They are a must in NE winters. I also purchased the rubber mat for the cargo area. My dealer also included the latest navigation DVD.

Hope it works out...I LOVE mine :)

PS: I think 'OP' refers to original poster.
Thanks xiTouring & SU, appreciate the input.

Best wishes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts