BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished an autocross event and some track time in the past two weekends. The track event was at Heartland Park in Topeka, Kansas. The autocross was in Kansas City. This was my 6th track event and I had a few E36 M3 and Boxster drivers asking for pointers (so I guess I am running pretty well !!!!). I have an '02 325Ci with the only mods being Mille Miglia 8x17 and 9x17 wheels with yoko A032R track tires and a harness belt on the driver's seat. I forgot to bring my digital camera, so these are from the event coordinators' web sites.

Autocross:

Track event (only pic is me changing my wheels):

My dad's C32 AMG at the Autocross. He also was at the track event and the car is a MONSTER!!!!

My brother also runs with us in his '00 323i.

Patrick
'02 325Ci Titanium Silver/Black

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also thought it was very funny that they placed my dad in the F-Stock group. They had no idea what this car could do or what was under the hood! We tried to warn them. It is clearly a Super-Stock car that should compete against the M3's. Needless to say, it was a popular point of discussion at the track event co-sponsored by the local Porsche, BMW and Audi clubs.

Also, at the autocross, I was within 0.3 seconds of the only E46 M3 SMG.

·
A sudden sense of liberty
3,939 Posts
Jayhox said:
I also thought it was very funny that they placed my dad in the F-Stock group. They had no idea what this car could do or what was under the hood! We tried to warn them. It is clearly a Super-Stock car that should compete against the M3's. Needless to say, it was a popular point of discussion at the track event co-sponsored by the local Porsche, BMW and Audi clubs.

Also, at the autocross, I was within 0.3 seconds of the only E46 M3 SMG.
It looks like the old C36 was in F stock, which is probably why they stuck him there. Interestingly, the SLK32 is classed in Super Stock, but the 2002 rules make no mention of the C32 AMG. A loophole that I am sure will close next year...

How did he do?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The rules tend to lump most Mercedes in a general group. I imagine that is because they do not see many of them in autocrosses!?!?!?

My dad did OK. But it was his first time to really get on the car, so he was very tentative. He did not want to overdo it on the first time. Plus, he was just trying to get a feel for the car before the first track event.

At the track, he was VERY tentative at first, but gained a ton of confidence by the end of the weekend. His ability to pull away from most cars on the straights was almost humorous. :yikes:

Of the cars that wrere there, only the viper, Zo6 Vette and the Porsche turbos could beat him in the straights. At Heartland Park, the main straight is also the drag strip, so it is a full 1/2 mile strip to really buils some speed. He was pushing 130mph by the breaking point while I was happy to get up to 112mph in by 325Ci.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts