3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the 330i...

330i engine bay...

Rump shot...

Front quarter shot...

Head on shot...

Look ma, no Idrive...

Wheel shot. I thought they were nice looking...

They had the venerable 2002...

They had the e23?, e3o, e36 and e46 at the other end...

And finally, our parting gift. Nothing special. Coffee mug, Sirius key chain (steering wheel looking thingy), poster, Automobile mag and those pesky promo brochures, lol.

Summing up. The venue was great tho a little tricky to get to esp if you had a car. Food was great. Entertainment was great. The cars well, hard to form an opinion when everyone and their mother was around the friggin car but I think BMW has another winner here. I'm biased of course but I have a good feeling about this car. I certainly wouldn't mind pimping this car around. This car and a representative of the previous 3s will be driving around the country the next couple of months and the next stop is Boston. Check it out if you can...

·
Registered
244 Posts
That e90 looks great. I like it. I initially thought the dash would not look good without I-drive, but actually it looks okay.

·
Do the interns get Glocks
9,324 Posts
Tanks for the pics :thumbup:

I hate the dash, love the wheels and the silver engine cover.

And Id gladly take that 2002 instead of the e90 any day of the week.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
LmtdSlip said:
Tanks for the pics :thumbup:

I hate the dash, love the wheels and the silver engine cover.

And Id gladly take that 2002 instead of the e90 any day of the week.
By the way, the 2002 & all of those other models were in PRISTINE condition. Even I found myself liking & wanting to test-drive them, and I'm not one for classic (or semi-classic) cars.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
Every time someone posts exterior shots of this car, I get excited :thumbup:

Then the interior shots come................ :thumbdwn:

Ed

·
Registered
801 Posts
NetEngWiz said:
That e90 looks great. I like it. I initially thought the dash would not look good without I-drive, but actually it looks okay.
The dash is a big disappointment IMHO.

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 371,000kms as of May 2021
875 Posts
Thanks for the pics!

I can't wait for the launch up here in Montreal!!(The food will be great!!)

I especially CAN'T WAIT to try the new 255hp engine!!! That will be awesome.

edit: I can't stand the radio ergonomics, all those stupid little buttons that I can't see when I'm driving 150kph...My wife's radio in her '02 X5 is like that. The rental Altima I'm in right now (while my 325 is getting repaired) has an AWESOME stereo and the controls are perfect.

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
xspeedy said:
That is where the "key" goes.
Following the current silly fad, you put the key in this slot and then push the starter button above........

Progress, eh :dunno:

Ed

·
Registered
321 Posts
Don't forget comfort access...

EdCT said:
Following the current silly fad, you put the key in this slot and then push the starter button above........

Progress, eh :dunno:

Ed
Maybe we need to think about Comfort Access - if we didn't have a start button, comfort access when mean i get into the car without a key in my hand but just in my pocket and still have to fish the key out to start the car. Now I can get in and just press a button to start the car no need to look for keys.

Maybe you find this too much of hi-tech for nuthing but a lotta of gadget guys (like me :)) would luv it!

Of course, I still worry about how secure the whole idea of comfort access is - if they don't report a car stolen because some one hacked into comfort access within a year from now when I am planning on getting the E90, then I am getting comfort access!

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
NetEngWiz said:
Well, maybe thieves can't jam a screwdriver in it and take off with the car now :dunno:
Or, perhaps your five year old can press the button and...zoom, zoom (oh wait, that's Mazda).

Can you imagine one of those nauseating On Star ads dealing with this situation?

It'd go something like this:

Kid: "Hi, this johnny"

On star Guy: " hi johnny, this is your On Star representative, may I help you?"

Kid: " I push button now..."

On Star Guy: " no Johhny, do NOT press the starter button"

Kid: " I press button......WhEEEEEEEEE"

On Star: "Johnny, Johnny!!!!!!"

Ed

·
zeddy
7,668 Posts
fidozoom said:
Maybe we need to think about Comfort Access - if we didn't have a start button, comfort access when mean i get into the car without a key in my hand but just in my pocket and still have to fish the key out to start the car. Now I can get in and just press a button to start the car no need to look for keys.
You know something Fizz, for the 32 years I've been driving, I've never once had any problem getting the keys out of my pocket and into the ignition switch:p In fact, if I could've learned to unclasp a bra with the same alacrity, my high school years would've been even more fun they they were.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, now you've got yet another needless electronic widjet just waiting to malfunction and leave you stranded (and believe me, the germans are good at designing failure into their gee-whiz electronics).

Comfort access? No, perhaps "Confounded Access" would be a more appropriate descriptive.

Ed

·
Registered
321 Posts
EdCT said:
You know something Fizz, for the 32 years I've been driving, I've never once had any problem getting the keys out of my pocket and into the ignition switch:p In fact, if I could've learned to unclasp a bra with the same alacrity, my high school years would've been even more fun they they were.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, now you've got yet another needless electronic widjet just waiting to malfunction and leave you stranded (and believe me, the germans are good at designing failure into their gee-whiz electronics).

Comfort access? No, perhaps "Confounded Access" would be a more appropriate descriptive.

Ed
I don't quite agree with the generalization that electronic devices all malfunction. It all depends on who makes the software - given that we'd trust our lives in our cars to BMW's mechanical prowess I don't see why we can't trust them enough there. It may be my own ignorance but I have never heard of software malfunctions that caused someone to be stranded. Even then software is much much easier to fix that hardware is. If everyone thought abt the computer that way in the 70s and said hey why get a computer when I can do it all by hand - yeah a computer is faster but gee it may break down so let me just do it by hand - then we wouldn't be in the world we are in now.

Btw, the whole engine is controlled by a computer - if we can trust BMW to get that right why can't we trust them to get something as trivial as comfort access right?

I agree though comfort access is not really a utility thing - i think its more towards the "cool" factor.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
NetEngWiz said:
Well, maybe thieves can't jam a screwdriver in it and take off with the car now :dunno:
Only if that screw driver has the right chip in it :D. IIRC each key is coded to a specific car (13 keys in total or something). This is the current system, not sure how the Smart Start system handles it.

James.

·
Registered
244 Posts
EdCT said:
Or, perhaps your five year old can press the button and...zoom, zoom (oh wait, that's Mazda).

Can you imagine one of those nauseating On Star ads dealing with this situation?

It'd go something like this:

Kid: "Hi, this johnny"

On star Guy: " hi johnny, this is your On Star representative, may I help you?"

Kid: " I push button now..."

On Star Guy: " no Johhny, do NOT press the starter button"

Kid: " I press button......WhEEEEEEEEE"

On Star: "Johnny, Johnny!!!!!!"

Ed
LOL! Too funny... But seriously, that would be a scary thought. Luckily I don't have kids yet, but if I did...oh boy.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
fidozoom said:
Maybe we need to think about Comfort Access - if we didn't have a start button, comfort access when mean i get into the car without a key in my hand but just in my pocket and still have to fish the key out to start the car.
There's no reason you couldn't still have the same motion of turning the switch on the steering column stock. If they can unlock the door with a proximity device they can surely unlock the ignition.

James.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts