BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,
Humor me, I'm pretty fired up about my new arrival. It's a '93 525it with 69k verified original miles. Original owner bought in her 70s, put 50k on it by 2005, her son then put 18 more in the last year and a half between CT and VA. Sold it to me when he fixed the AC in his Mercedes.
Carfax corroborated, dealer PPI revealed only front brakes and valve cover gasket, parts for which should arrive today. Everything else seems right on.
I think I managed a pretty good price out of him through patience and respect, it took a couple weeks to finish it all.
Here's a link to full pics, and one to get started. It needs serious attention to the paint, but nothing a good weekend's work wont' fix. Brakes and valve cover, PM/lube everything, then some wheels and Dinan trans chip, I guess. Unless a rich uncle appears and wants me to apply some forced induction...
Thanks for listening.
Best,
Joel

525it

·
E30,840i,F80 M3comp,640GT
1,094 Posts
Congrats! Touring love is a good thing. (here's a pic of my old E34 touring when it got replaced by an E46 touring)

·
Happy Trails!
2,893 Posts
Wow - very nice find! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 387,000kms as of September 2021
900 Posts
Wow, what a great car to take over! Ton o' room in the back, and good HP nonetheless!

Good luck with your new car!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all!
Once I get some time with a buffer, clay bar, and elbow grease I'll put up some better pics.
Best,
Joel

·
1,094 Posts
Say, "Heelsroll", you wouldn't happen to be a alum of our nation's oldest state university would you?
I'm Carolina class of '92

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
uter said:
Say, "Heelsroll", you wouldn't happen to be a alum of our nation's oldest state university would you?
I'm Carolina class of '92
Uter,

Yes and no. I wasn't fortunate enough to attend UNC, but I was the head coach of rowing there for 5 years from '97-02. I've still got some carolina blue blood in my veins, and I'm actually looking to head back to Chapel Hill if I can get a job to support my coaching habit.

So, I spent 5 years there like a lot of graduates, but my diploma's from somewhere else. I never knew how sweet it was in the Southern Part of Heaven!

Peace,
Joel

·
1,094 Posts
heelsroll said:
Uter,

Yes and no. I wasn't fortunate enough to attend UNC, but I was the head coach of rowing there for 5 years from '97-02. I've still got some carolina blue blood in my veins, and I'm actually looking to head back to Chapel Hill if I can get a job to support my coaching habit.

So, I spent 5 years there like a lot of graduates, but my diploma's from somewhere else. I never knew how sweet it was in the Southern Part of Heaven!

Peace,
Joel
Likes BMW wagons.
Loves Carolina.

You're my kind of guy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
AusBmw said:
Nice,oxford green to,me fav bmw colour,tip upgrade the rims
Thanks, and, yep. These will do:

17" ASA AR1s, 17", ContiSport tires. Pick them up on Friday.

Best,
Joel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
uter said:
Likes BMW wagons.
Loves Carolina.
You're my kind of guy!
Throw in some Eastern Style barbecue, hush puppies, and sweet tea, and I'm your Tar Heel.

In fact, Jessie and I are taking the Touring to Oak Island, NC, next week for that very purpose. Her education in the Great North State is ongoing.

To get back on topic, I chased down this wagon for the long trips to the right beach. :)

Peace,
Joel

·
Registered
2011 X5 diesel, 387,000kms as of September 2021
900 Posts
More off-topic...I'm a 1988 grad from UNC-Greensboro...I loved living in North Carolina! Used to go to Durham Bulls games in the old stadium...now THAT was baseball at it's finest!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Paul, Beautiful Car!
Stewthebassman, North Carolina has a lot of that going for it -- old ballparks, long summer, and a slightly easier way of life. I miss all that!
Best to all,
Joel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
New Shoes are here!

AusBmw said:
Oh yeah mate,now ya talking:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :)
Well, it still needs the detail, but here are the new shoes, just installed this AM:

Another new, and all the before pics are still at: Joel's Touring

Best,
Joel
PS. OT: counting the days to Carolina BBQ: 7! (Days to Wisconsin Brat's: 4!)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
stewthebassman said:
Hey Joel, they look great! And does it feel better on the road?
Stewthebassman,

Thanks! They definitely call out for more attention to the body's paint, but I have to take care of some projects around the house, first.

I've only put a few dozen miles on them, and I had already felt that the balanced handling of the car was dynamite. But I would say that the feel now is 1000 times better! It sounds hokey but I do feel like I can just think about where I want the car to be, and that's where it ends up. At anything approaching reasonable and prudent speeds the limiting factor in roadholding is now the security of items inside the vehicle, not adhesion.

All of which makes me wish for more power, or more pointedly, more torque and power below 3000 rpm. I'm hoping that an EAT chip will help here, I'm willing to pump the premium gas, especially if I can see 2-3 more mpg (right now 22 mixed, ~25 highway, all per the computer. No fill up yet.)

Anyway, I feel pretty lucky to have picked these up. They look like they were never on a car! I looked at a lot of used sets on eBay and craigslist, and they all looked like they'd come off a driver's ed car. These look like new. Not bad for about half of retail.

Of course, now, counting the front brake parts, valve cover gasket, all the filters, and tax/title, I have just about the KBB private party value in the car. Once I'm done with the detail it should all look like a million.

Peace,
Joel

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Good choice of rims mate:thumbup: set the car off well,for little bit extra you could allways paint the brake clipers in hight temp red:dunno: ?

·
Registered
134 Posts
heelsroll said:
Stewthebassman,

Thanks! They definitely call out for more attention to the body's paint, but I have to take care of some projects around the house, first.

I've only put a few dozen miles on them, and I had already felt that the balanced handling of the car was dynamite. But I would say that the feel now is 1000 times better! It sounds hokey but I do feel like I can just think about where I want the car to be, and that's where it ends up. At anything approaching reasonable and prudent speeds the limiting factor in roadholding is now the security of items inside the vehicle, not adhesion.

All of which makes me wish for more power, or more pointedly, more torque and power below 3000 rpm. I'm hoping that an EAT chip will help here, I'm willing to pump the premium gas, especially if I can see 2-3 more mpg (right now 22 mixed, ~25 highway, all per the computer. No fill up yet.)

Anyway, I feel pretty lucky to have picked these up. They look like they were never on a car! I looked at a lot of used sets on eBay and craigslist, and they all looked like they'd come off a driver's ed car. These look like new. Not bad for about half of retail.

Of course, now, counting the front brake parts, valve cover gasket, all the filters, and tax/title, I have just about the KBB private party value in the car. Once I'm done with the detail it should all look like a million.

Peace,
Joel
Car looks great Joel! Thinking about lowering it a bit? If you do just do the front like I did on mine. It just gives a slight nose down attitude which looks a little more business like. I installed a 96 M3 S52 engine in my Touring last month. I still use an automatic but gas mileage was 29mpg on the highway even with the extra HP.

Paul

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.