Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
black stripe doesnt look bad on some colors. but i think color stripe is a lot better. one reason coupes look a little better to me these days. )= but painting them has to be done carefully.

·
Registered
538 Posts
NO DON't DO IT!!!!

The black stripes add class if you haven't realized that. Painting that portion makes it look like my '97 civic coupe, makes it look cheapo...I'm sorry but it's dayam true!

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
For some reason, it just doesn't have the same positive effect on the sedan as it does on the coupe. If you have a darker exterior color (Jet Black, Orient Blue, Topaz Blue, etc.), you hardly notice the contrast between the trim and body.

Before I bought my car, I seriously considered having the moldings painted. Shortly thereafter, I saw a TiSilver 325i with painted moldings and it just did not look good. :dunno:

So I kept it black. :thumbup:

Michael

·
Registered
590 Posts
This was a consideration when I bought my car last year, after I witnessed it discussed endlessly on the bimmer.org E39 board. So I made sure to get side moldings that matched my paint.

:bigpimp:

--gary

·
Registered
12 Posts
actually, contrary to what the others have said, i kind of like the painted moldings -- makes the car, especially the side panels, look really sleek. and do not really think anyone is going to mistake your car for a honda.

·
Revelation 10:7
1,012 Posts
phlin said:
actually, contrary to what the others have said, i kind of like the painted moldings -- makes the car, especially the side panels, look really sleek. and do not really think anyone is going to mistake your car for a honda.
First, if I had any color, besides Black, I would have the moldings painted. Considering my 325i is JetBlack, the moldings are not really a problem. I would still like to have them painted, as it would be somewhat less to maintain. Since they match, I can find other uses for the money.

As for making an E46 look like a Honda, well, my wife apparently thinks they do already. In her opinion, my car looks no different than a Civic. The first time those words came out of her mouth I almost fell over. I could not believe what I heard! Now several months later, she is still saying it looks like a Civic.

If she keeps it up, I am going to wash her mouth out with soap...

·
Will work for track time.
140 Posts
Yes, when I first picked up my 323i, my wife was driving behind me, she told me it looks like a Honda Civic.

I wish they paint those moldings. I am also suprised that M5's moldings are not painted. I just can't imaging it would add that much to the sticker price.

Maybe the next 3 series will have it.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think it doesn't look as good as the ones on the coupe, but not ugly either.

for those of you who wanted to paint, how much money are you willing to spend on such job?

·
Registered
12 Posts
not sure how much it would cost, but if you decide to go ahead with the paint job, you might also want to get the black portion of the rear apron, just above the exhaust, painted as well. i just noticed that on your photoshop image you left it black. can you do another sample with that section painted silver as well?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
phlin said:
not sure how much it would cost, but if you decide to go ahead with the paint job, you might also want to get the black portion of the rear apron, just above the exhaust, painted as well. i just noticed that on your photoshop image you left it black. can you do another sample with that section painted silver as well?
here it is

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
pt00323i said:
Yes, when I first picked up my 323i, my wife was driving behind me, she told me it looks like a Honda Civic.

I wish they paint those moldings. I am also suprised that M5's moldings are not painted. I just can't imaging it would add that much to the sticker price.

Maybe the next 3 series will have it.

:rolleyes:
When will you guys admit it, the E46 sedans REALLY look like Civic's! When I first bought my car I more than once had to catch myself in the parking lot as I was walking towards a silver Civic sedan...:banghead:

The mouldings not being painted is not because of money savings, I'm sure. It just seems to make the car look "tougher", as some like to put it. People complained that the reason the E46 M3 looked "soft" compared to the E36 M3 was because of the painted mouldings. I like the way the cars look either way, although on silver and white I'm leaning towards painted. :dunno:

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
Mystikal said:
When will you guys admit it, the E46 sedans REALLY look like Civic's! When I first bought my car I more than once had to catch myself in the parking lot as I was walking towards a silver Civic sedan...:banghead:
The sedans? Hmm...

A few years ago, when BMW first rolled out the E46 coupe, they ran an ad in a variety of magazines. The side shot of a silver coupe used it the spread made it look almost exactly like a Honda Civic coupe. :lmao:

My opinion of the E46 has changed over time (hey, I drive one now, although it has four doors), but that initial reaction stuck with me, and reading this thread reminded me of it!

No offense to coupe owners, of course. :angel:

Michael

·
When will then be now?
836 Posts
In defense of the unpainted molding, if you have black as your interior color, at least you're staying color coordinated inside and out. Doubly so if you have Electric Red (mmm...red gauge backlighting...) :D

Michael

1 - 17 of 17 Posts