BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I purchased a full set of Brembo pads and rotors and would like to know if the rotors are fake or authentic.

- I did some research and the biggest flag is both front rotors have different thicknesses on the outside (6mm) and inside (8mm). The rears are uniform each but not to each other (6mm's and 7mm's).
- Another flag is that the two front and one rear rotor look similar but the other rear rotor looks completely different. It seems the three similar ones are UV coated but the last one is not.
- Also there are chip marks on the edge of the rotors. They are on the inside so I am not sure if it matters.

I understand that there are different manufacturing plants that produce these rotors but I can't get over the fact that the front rotors have different thicknesses on the outside (6mm) and inside (8mm) and the edge might be damaged.

Should I call the supplier and ask for a refund?

Thank you for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
359 Posts
Why don't you ask Brembo? They will have certain tell-tale identifiers that counterfeiters don't know about which will clarify the origin of your brakes

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Why don't you ask Brembo? They will have certain tell-tale identifiers that counterfeiters don't know about which will clarify the origin of your brakes
I called Brembo's NA HQ and they redirected me to a California office. The person there was part of their race department and had limited knowledge on these rotors. He said he specialized in the big brake kits. He asked me some questions and I told him everything stated above and he said it might not be an indication of fake parts but he said he didn't know for sure and he will try to have someone from Michigan call me back.

Also the brake pads say they are Made in China...

The rotors have a label Made in Italy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I called Brembo's NA HQ and they redirected me to a California office. The person there was part of their race department and had limited knowledge on these rotors. He said he specialized in the big brake kits. He asked me some questions and I told him everything stated above and he said it might not be an indication of fake parts but he said he didn't know for sure and he will try to have someone from Michigan call me back.

Also the brake pads say they are Made in China...

The Rotors have a label Made in Italy.
I have not purchased Brembo pads or rotors for the BMW, but have for other cars, usually through TireRack. A recent order of Brembo pads did show "Made in China" on the box, but the kit was one of the best quality and most complete kits I've ever purchased. Far better than the best from Autozone, O'Reilly or NAPA when I compared them prior to purchase.

As far as rotors, I've purchased them a couple of times in the last 10 years. One set was made in Italy ('06 Corvette), the other set Mexico ('02 Tacoma). Makes me wonder if the application decides the production location.

As far as rotor thickness, I'm wondering if the inner rotor is thicker by design to counter increased inner wear for single piston calipers. Have noticed that the inner pads are always worn more when the calipers are single piston when I've done brakes jobs. Not sure what to make of the differences in appearance unless they came off two different production runs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have not purchased Brembo pads or rotors for the BMW, but have for other cars, usually through TireRack. A recent order of Brembo pads did show "Made in China" on the box, but the kit was one of the best quality and most complete kits I've ever purchased. Far better than the best from Autozone, O'Reilly or NAPA when I compared them prior to purchase.

As far as rotors, I've purchased them a couple of times in the last 10 years. One set was made in Italy ('06 Corvette), the other set Mexico ('02 Tacoma). Makes me wonder if the application decides the production location.

As far as rotor thickness, I'm wondering if the inner rotor is thicker by design to counter increased inner wear for single piston calipers. Have noticed that the inner pads are always worn more when the calipers are single piston when I've done brakes jobs. Not sure what to make of the differences in appearance unless they came off two different production runs.
Yeah I agree. The Brembo pad kit was very complete. How was the performance of those Brembo pads?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I agree. The Brembo pad kit was very complete. How was the performance of those Brembo pads?
They went on my daughter-in-law's car. I gave it a pretty thorough break-in before giving the car back to her and they were quiet with good initial bite. I haven't heard any complaints since.

The other thing I liked about the Brembo pads was that you got more pad. I compared them to other brands, and there were several more mm's of pad. Should hopefully last a little longer.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I bought the same kit for my 335xi and after about 500 miles I am very pleased with them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts