BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm curious to see how much packaging they come with before a dealer or the VPC takes it off for delivery. And does the VPC take off any of the wrapping or do they leave it all to the dealer? I'm strictly talking about the interior.

Does it look like this image below, or is there also protective strips on the dash trim and other places, coverings on the arm rest or door rest/handles, etc., too?

Thanks in advance!

· Registered
1,420 Posts
from what i've seen, the dealer takes the protective covering/wrap off. took a look at a fresh off the truck X3 for a friend. BMW protects their interiors pretty darned well.

the car i looked at was well protected.

· Not Wearing Pants
18,858 Posts
Less packaging now than 10 years ago. I unwrapped my 2003 ZHP on a sunday morning with my SA. It was great fun to know I was the only customer to take that car out...bought it that morning.

· I know a thing or two...
7,678 Posts
Thanks for the photo!

I'm really surprised that it's only seat covers and a plastic strip on the steering wheel roundel. No steering wheel or gear shifter coverings or anything protecting the trim?
Why do they need all that extra trim protection? What's the big deal?

· Registered
1,420 Posts
The more protection the better. People are in and out of the cars. And once of prevention........

BMW delivers a quality product. You don't expect scratches all over the car on deliver. Some application of plastic wrapping and some foam goes a long way since a lot of these surfaces can scratch.

Just if someone gets in the car with jeans with rivets can scratch the leather. Kudos from BMW for protecting their cars.

I helped a friend get a BMW...and the car came in off the truck within a day or two looking at it. My friend got a perfect BMW without someone driving it around, getting in and out. In essence just like ordering from the factory and no one's ass is getting in and out of your car.

Trim can be soft and susceptible to damage and scratches. Same with leather steering wheels. Someone with long finger nails and rings and destory a brand new steering wheel quick unless they are careful... Most of us wouldn't take a care with giant scratches on it.

So hat's off to BMW for protecting the car. For test drives, I want stuff left on, but I don't want it to block visibility. Some cars that are custom orders I've looked at. I respect the customers. The dealer may allow me to take a look, but I'm not going to sit in someone's brand new car, especially if custom ordered. I'd expect the same for me.

I think it's a sign of company that respects its customers. We know there are tons of people that shop cars and think they are entitled to treat them anyway they like--it's funny as they don't usually buy the cars. Just window shopping.

· Registered
8,246 Posts
More protection material = more time, more environmental impact, and most importantly, more cost. Flip side is greater chance of damage (and repair costs), need for more prep.

They can alleviate the costs through better training and monitoring of employees, and development of sturdier materials. It's a balance.

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The more protection the better. People are in and out of the cars. And once of prevention........

BMW delivers a quality product. You don't expect scratches all over the car on deliver. Some application of plastic wrapping and some foam goes a long way since a lot of these surfaces can scratch.

Just if someone gets in the car with jeans with rivets can scratch the leather. Kudos from BMW for protecting their cars.

I helped a friend get a BMW...and the car came in off the truck within a day or two looking at it. My friend got a perfect BMW without someone driving it around, getting in and out. In essence just like ordering from the factory and no one's ass is getting in and out of your car.

Trim can be soft and susceptible to damage and scratches. Same with leather steering wheels. Someone with long finger nails and rings and destory a brand new steering wheel quick unless they are careful... Most of us wouldn't take a care with giant scratches on it.

So hat's off to BMW for protecting the car. For test drives, I want stuff left on, but I don't want it to block visibility. Some cars that are custom orders I've looked at. I respect the customers. The dealer may allow me to take a look, but I'm not going to sit in someone's brand new car, especially if custom ordered. I'd expect the same for me.

I think it's a sign of company that respects its customers. We know there are tons of people that shop cars and think they are entitled to treat them anyway they like--it's funny as they don't usually buy the cars. Just window shopping.
Well said! :beerchug:

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Why do they need all that extra trim protection? What's the big deal?
COOTIES! :rofl:

No, seriously. I'm OCD. I'm well aware of how much many people lack proper hygiene and don't want any of those people inside a small place that I'm going to be spending a lot of my time. If it's got removable packaging, the cooties come off with the packaging.

Think about all of the people who will do something like pick gum off their shoe with their hands or scratch their ass and not wash their hands before getting inside YOUR car. Or how someone who sits on a dirty bench and then plants their behind in your brand new leather seat? Lots of nasty stuff on the roads and sidewalks outside that people traverse with their shoes, then step on benches and seats with those shoes (transferring the bacteria) and then people sit on those seats and then plant their road bacteria filled behind in your seat.

Not me kind sir. Go ahead, call me crazy. Don't care. I'm not the crazy one. Most people don't think about this stuff. Personally, not interested in all of the nasties people bring with them wherever they go, often unconsciously.

You ever go into a public bathroom, wash your hands and then use your freshly cleaned hands to open the door to exit the bathroom? Well, about 10 dudes shaked their stuff, didn't wash their hands, and touched that same handle.

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts

No, seriously. I'm OCD. I'm well aware of how much many people lack proper hygiene and don't want any of those people inside a small place that I'm going to be spending a lot of my time. If it's got removable packaging, the cooties come off with the packaging.

Think about all of the people who will do something like pick gum off their shoe with their hands or scratch their ass and not wash their hands before getting inside YOUR car. Or how someone who sits on a dirty bench and then plants their behind in your brand new leather seat? Lots of nasty stuff on the roads and sidewalks outside that people traverse with their shoes, then step on benches and seats with those shoes (transferring the bacteria) and then people sit on those seats and then plant their road bacteria filled behind in your seat.

Not me kind sir. Go ahead, call me crazy. Don't care. I'm not the crazy one. Most people don't think about this stuff. Personally, not interested in all of the nasties people bring with them wherever they go, often unconsciously.

You ever go into a public bathroom, wash your hands and then use your freshly cleaned hands to open the door to exit the bathroom? Well, about 10 dudes shaked their stuff, didn't wash their hands, and touched that same handle.
No worries, we are going to have fun with this. With your consent, I would like to pictorally document this "special delivery"....

:thumbup:

:angel:

· Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
No worries, we are going to have fun with this. With your consent, I would like to pictorally document this "special delivery"....

:thumbup:

Jon, I had an idea: the tech you pick to road test the car can put on a brand new pair of disposable gloves right before he gets inside! I'll even ship you the gloves. :angel:

While he's at it, we can have him slip on one of these. :rofl: That would be photo worthy, yes?

· Bimmerfest Founder
18,743 Posts
Jon, I had an idea: the tech you pick to road test the car can put on a brand new pair of disposable gloves right before he gets inside! I'll even ship you the gloves. :angel:

While he's at it, we can have him slip on one of these. :rofl: That would be photo worthy, yes?

I might have to bribe him to do it, but it could be an epic photo shoot...

· Registered
5,304 Posts
You never farted in your desk chair?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.