BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ordering myself a new E92. I personally don't like the look of the stock front bumper on the new refreshed `11 models. I definitely prefer the M Sport package, however I don't particularly love any of the restricted color options and I really, really, REALLY want the Vermilion Red. I love the red more than I hate having the stock front bumper. And given that the M Sport is purely aesthetic on the E92, I'm considering rolling my own M package.

Basically, I'm thinking that I could just order my car as I want it, and order a front bumper, have it professionally painted and installed. That way I get my car in the color I want with the front fascia I want.

So my question is, what's the best way to go about this?

Also, if I use a dealer to paint/install it, what should I expect from the quality of the work vs. using an Indy shop?

What should I be expecting in terms of cost for something like this?

Does this even make sense? :)

Also, considering that I'm doing ED, why is it they won't paint the car whichever color I want (out of their color palette)?

·
Registered
10,697 Posts
I realize that, but all I care about is the front bumper :)
i'm in the same boat as well. Don't really care or want anything from the msport pkg other than the front bumper since the stocker is so bad. I asked about this a month ago, and it sounds like the best you can do is have it installed at the port..but no one could give me details as to how to arrange this or how much it would cost (thought probably in the range of $1500 installed and painted). Which means that if you're leasing it will cost you more than just getting the msport. And yes, the color restriction on the msport is incredibly dumb. They don't even offer jet black for chrissakes! Might be interesting to try and get it done in Germany by the main dealer in Munich...though it owuld probablhy cost more.

·
energetik9
2,361 Posts
If you really don't like it and all you want is the bumper then order it (or one like it). I think the first thing is to determine exactly what bumper you want to order. There are other options besides the M sport version.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to stay relatively stock... I also really like how aggressive the M Sport bumper looks... though, I'd happilly settle for a 2010 front bumper if it were cheap enough installed :)

Where can I look for such things? For some reason, google results get pretty confusing for me when it comes to searching for this. I'm never quite sure what I'm looking at or if it will necessarily work for the latest E92 (most list only up to 2010).

Also... would there be any resale value in the original bumper that comes with the car? If they install it at port for me, I'm assuming I'd get to keep the original bumper, or do they suddenly consider that theirs?

The other thing I'm looking for is new wheels. That'll be a seperate post alltogether!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Thanks for the pointer! The PDC model means it's pre-drilled for the PDC, or just marked up? Hell... if I could get it painted for a reasonable price, I'd almost attempt installing the thing myself ;)
I am guessing it is pre-drilled. You can get the part number here and order it through your local BMW parts counter (i.e. not pay shipping). If they charge more (except tax maybe) than the site, then that department is stiffing you. Anyway, they will confirm if it is drilled.

There are DIYs for taking the front off on E90post.com - that will show you the order of bolt removal and pitfalls.

·
Registered
603 Posts
So I'm ordering myself a new E92. I personally don't like the look of the stock front bumper on the new refreshed `11 models. I definitely prefer the M Sport package, however I don't particularly love any of the restricted color options and I really, really, REALLY want the Vermilion Red. I love the red more than I hate having the stock front bumper. And given that the M Sport is purely aesthetic on the E92, I'm considering rolling my own M package.

Also, considering that I'm doing ED, why is it they won't paint the car whichever color I want (out of their color palette)?
I too love vermillion, and find it extremely frustrating that BMW says if you like this color you can't have a particular option. Worse still on BYO, if you choose vermillion it zaps away your previous selections. Other auto sites at least have the decency to provide a pop-up that says something like "if you make this selection, you loose this one - do you still want to continue?".

It's almost like they are trying to intentionally frustrate potential buyers. Stupid, IMO.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't be so hard on them! They have those really informative and tiny exclamation points all over the place that let you know what can't be used where... You know, like the one that you can't see because it's the same color as the background when you have M-Sport and choose the white-pearl paint color which then zaps a good portion of your configuration to hell :)

·
Registered
2022 M3
4,237 Posts

Basically, I'm thinking that I could just order my car as I want it, and order a front bumper, have it professionally painted and installed. That way I get my car in the color I want with the front fascia I want.

So my question is, what's the best way to go about this?

Also, if I use a dealer to paint/install it, what should I expect from the quality of the work vs. using an Indy shop?
I did this twice with two different E46 cars and have a definite opinion: (1) Have the parts painted at a body shop of your choice, and (2) Have the dealership install them. I did not do this and the body shops took did not use all the BMW OE fasteners, etc. The body shops were unenthusiastic about the install part anyway. And few dealerships have their own paint shop.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You can find the parts at either site. They come primed and ready to paint - so it will begin to add up with the bodyshop and labour.

Link:http://www.penskeparts.com/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=49514&rnd=06222010
Image: attached
Alright... looking over this stuff, something struck me.

It isn't just the front bumper is it. The $466 doesn't include the other items listed there, does it? It looks like I'm looking at the $466 plus another $100 for the grid components, $120 for the grill(s), and probably $100 for the supporting fasteners, guides and seals. Am I right?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
And btw... If I'm getting a euro delivery 2011 E92 328i... am I getting the E92 or E92N? Also, do the 12/05-05/10 indicate what I think they do? Are those manufacturing date ranges? I'm only asking cuz I'm not sure what it is I'll be getting... still kinda new to this :)

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
Isn't the duct work and a few other things different on the M-Sport bumper also? I had my front bumper replaced at my dealers body shop (yes some have them), and I asked about going with the M-Sport vs standard bumper and I believe he said there is more to it than just the cover. Pretty sure I read the same thing on E90Post also. I have the OEM aero lip on my bumper and like the way it looks. I'd rather have the M-Sport bumper, but not at the cost.

·
Outside looking in
6,325 Posts
Alright... looking over this stuff, something struck me.

It isn't just the front bumper is it. The $466 doesn't include the other items listed there, does it? It looks like I'm looking at the $466 plus another $100 for the grid components, $120 for the grill(s), and probably $100 for the supporting fasteners, guides and seals. Am I right?
Yes - you need all the bits. I am not sure how much can be reused from the original bumper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.