Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I discovered a pile of oil on the floor, was shocked to see that. When I started looking for the source of leak I found out that the supporting bracket (#13 on the diagram)
http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E...e/front_axle/front_diff_components_all_wheel/

has only 1 bolt and 3 are missing!!! and even the last one was loose and i can't imagine what could happen when this one would fall off.
Looking at the diagram there is a o-ring that sits between the engine and the bracket, I am wondering if this could be the source of leak? The engine is all clean up and down, there is oil where the engine meets the transmission but I doubt this would be rear seal as the mileage is still low and leak that bad to have it on the floor.. unlikely in my opinion. I got the bolts from the dealer (they were shocked to hear that too) and put them back with thread seal. I will monitor the engine bay for the leaks, etc..
What possibly could leak so badly it will be on the floor? Oil filter housing or turbo supply line?

Just interested to hear your opinion folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not gear (not red) - it is brownish but no burn smell and pretty clear. I was even thinking it is power steering initially.. The rack is all dry, I found some oil on the driver side of the engine (not much), will examine closer today whether it is oil filter housing or maybe connection to the PS pump. PS fluid was on min too (I topped it up to max 1.5 years ago)

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i looked closely at the oil filter housing but it was kind of dry around it...The generator had some oil at the bottom of it. I decided to check the oil filter cap and it was quite loose! without any resistance I turned it at least a quarter of a turn if not more. I am really hoping that was the reason..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts