Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the high-pitched squeal for a while in my car. Could only hear it with my windows open and it only happened at a certain throttle position. Would go away with more or less throttle. The squeal was not engine or car speed sensitive so thanks to this BBS and the search function realized that I probably had a pin-hole leak in my air inlet.

Went to get the car CA smogged 2 weeks ago, Car passed with flying colors but I noticed a new rattle in the intake area. Figured it was the DISA and found some youtube videos that had the exact same noises plus a suggestion for diagnosis to unplug the DISA connector. I tried, it and indeed the noise went away.

So I figured time for some surgery and replace both at the same time. The flap on the DISA was a little loose but the valve was in far better shape than some of the pictures I have seen on the internet. Decided to try the DISA valve re-built kit from GAS.

The intake boots gave me a bigger surprise. The picture below shows the size of my "pin-hole" leak. This is the section that is hooked up to the ICV. I'm amazed the car did not give me any codes and that I still passed smog. I did have this lag of power off the line (manual transmission) so no wonder. Most of the air I pulled in probably did not go through the MAF sensor. I thought is was just bad VANOS seals.

Received my parts on Friday and put it all back together today. The instructions from GAS were pretty simple to follow and the unit looks pretty nice after a good cleaning. The titanium screw alone should be good for at least another 10 hp.... The car runs much better now without the inlet leak. Still planning to do the VANOS seals soon when I do the 120k service.

After that I have the suspension and thrust arm to replace. Clutch and cooling system was already completely redone by the PO. Hopefully will be good for another 100k miles then.

Thanks for all the info on the BBS. Would not have been able to do half of it without your help.

Harold

Attachments

·
Entwicklung 39
4,136 Posts
Very well done!

My intake boots were tattered when I bought mine as well as my DISA valve being fully toast.

I'll bet she drives much better now.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Your boot was much worse than mine.
Now, that you did these "fixes", try and change ALL the rubber hoses. They might "feel" OK, but try to push on them, or squeeze them. Some will crumble, other will expand like chewing gum. Not a hard job, but will prevent some inexpected "lean" codes to appear. the hoses are cheap.
Hint: try to snag the braided silicone hoses, that will last virtualy forever. I think ECS Tuning has them. They're a tad more expensive (not by much), but will prevent you from re-doing this job down the road.

GL

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
My intake boot was torn exactly like yours with no symptoms other than a high pitch whine. But, the hole was large enough to stick a finger in. Likewise, when I did my CCV the hoses were completely shot; hard and cracked but no symptoms. I was just lucky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts