BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
JackHeiff
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a pin hole leak in the radiator plastic just below the top hose. Do I need to replace the entire radiator?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Short answer? Yes.
Longer answer? You could get by in a pinch by cleaning the area fully and using JB Weld or Devcon over the hole.
Keep an eye on the gauge, it's not going to last.

Do your E38 a favor, just replace the failing radiator. And while you've got it down, install an 88C thermostat.
Reduces pressure and temps, critical parts will last longer.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oldroller is correct.

Plastic BMW cooling systems at the higher pressures they operate at are bombs waiting to explode. On my 540iT I replace the radiator, fan clutch, expansion tank, and any other suspects every 80k miles and throw them in the garbage. 300k on original engine and I***8217;ve had it for 280k of those miles.

Radiators are cheap, 4.4l engines are not. Then again e38s and 540s are cheap when the owners loose all their coolant and fry the engine. See my engine swap thread. Easiest way to turn a $5k 740 in to a $500 740.

Get a new fan clutch if you don***8217;t know how old it is. Buy the wrench and the tool that holds the clutch and remember its reverse thread. Lots of threads of them locking up...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts