BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i mistakenly parked under a pine tree.....yup, i've got some decent sized dried (petrified) sap globs on my hood that, for the life of me, i cannot get off. does anyone have a suggestion? much appreciated!

·
Protect your (lug) nuts
4,571 Posts
they have things to get rid of it.. go to your auto parts store or detail retailer

·
Registered
170 Posts
DO NOT use an SOS pad!!! I read a post the on here of someone that did and it made a horrible mess.....scratches everywhere. :tsk:

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
MrTex said:
they have things to get rid of it.. go to your auto parts store or detail retailer
:stupid:

Tutrlewax makes a cream that cleans sap right off. I had some drops on my car and a guy at the parking lot where I sometimes park (he details cars there as a side job) had this Turtlewax stuff and put a bit on the cloth and wiped the sap right off. I wish I could remember what it was called.

·
Keeping it surreal
43,316 Posts
Ronsonal lighter fluid, or WD-40 should do the trick....

Regards,
Bob

·
Registered
226 Posts
WAM said:
Really hot water and soft towels!
Hmmmm, I believe you'll need something oil-based to get it off. So people seem to have used car polish, WD-40, butter, mineral spirits, nail polish remover and other grease-cutting products

·
Registered
979 Posts
I am sure there are products designed to remove sap even better, however, I am speaking from experience.

I parked my half day old car under a tree, in the parking lot of the hotel in Santa Barbara, as it was the corner spot. The next morning the car was covered in droplets of sap. As I didn't have anything else with me, I used really hot water and towels to remove the sap. It worked great.

jonesy said:
Hmmmm, I believe you'll need something oil-based to get it off. So people seem to have used car polish, WD-40, butter, mineral spirits, nail polish remover and other grease-cutting products

·
Registered
6,660 Posts
ejm said:
i mistakenly parked under a pine tree.....yup, i've got some decent sized dried (petrified) sap globs on my hood that, for the life of me, i cannot get off. does anyone have a suggestion? much appreciated!
I have detailed cars as a part time biz for the last 30 plus years....what will take it off without hurting the car is mineral spirits that can be purchased at any home depot store....do this at the wash stage with soapy water in a bucket...wet the car, then on a rag use the MS and let set on the spots for a few minutes do not let this dry on the car...then use the soapy water rinse and repeat as needed...I would then clay the car to pickup anything that is left and polish and wax

Good Luck!

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had sap on my wife's truck. They guy that detailed it in my driveway asked to borrow a hairdryer. He heated it up and buffed it off with a soft cloth. Worked great!

·
Registered
2 Posts
"Wax and grease remover" works great. This is what body shops use when they prep cars prior to painting them. This is available at any automotive paint supply store.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Fast Bob said:
Ronsonal lighter fluid, or WD-40 should do the trick....

Regards,
Bob
Yup, it works like a champ. I never would have believe it if I hadn't have tried it a few months back.

Ahhh... the many wonders and uses of WD-40. :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Be really careful and test in an inconspicuous spot to make sure it doesn't eat the clear coating, but acetone (same stuff that nail polish remover is based on) is a pretty powerful solvent. Other detailing products also have this (in less concentrated form), but it will pretty much remove anything - just make sure to wash any residue off right afterwards.

I used it to remove some enormous globs of sap off an vovlvo 850 that had been sitting for years - paint looked great afterwards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
after wd-40, mineral spirits, hot water and lots of elbow grease i found the winner....simple aterless hand sanitizer (e.g. purell) works like a dream.

·
San Jose, 2002 330cic
70 Posts
Use a automotive lanolin hand cleaner, works everytime (EOM)

Use a automotive lanolin hand cleaner, works everytime (EOM)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts