BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now the wait begins! A dealer had a stock order (112 status) that we were able to modify slightly to fit my needs. I am hoping that the chip shortage doesn't screw something up. I am getting Alpine White with Mocha Nappa Leather, premium package, driving assistance pro package, ventilated massaging seats, and heated steering wheel.

The status 112 order has the parking assistance package and I really hope the car can be built with that. I know it is not available current orders. The pictures are from the website but is what the car should look like.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Grille
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering wheel Vehicle door

·
Registered
570 Posts
good luck!
enjoying ours, just wish gas mileage was better, and im not even driving crazy
Still decently good MPG for a V8 with this much power. I only assume it's hard to go easy in a beast like this!
Font Parallel Number Screenshot Aircraft

·
Registered
156 Posts
Compared to a Hummer H1 yours is sipping fuel. Seriously, you have an 8 cylinder monster engine...you can't expect great fuel economy. But...BMW does better at that than its competitors.
you are right my hyundai SUV gets 19-20mpg, right now the bmw is showing 15mpg ave. Prob getting around 17 local driving.
it's tough because I came from a 911 that was easily 24mpg w spirited driving. yes i know 6cyl vs 8cyl, but just talking driving dynamics and fun and value, 911 wins.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
you are right my hyundai SUV gets 19-20mpg, right now the bmw is showing 15mpg ave. Prob getting around 17 local driving.
it's tough because I came from a 911 that was easily 24mpg w spirited driving. yes i know 6cyl vs 8cyl, but just talking driving dynamics and fun and value, 911 wins.
I would agree that the 911 wins but it is not a fair comparison. The 911 is much smaller and more tossable than a 5 series. The comparison should be a 2 series (the real 2 series, not the POS FWD version) vs. the 911.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really don't care much about fuel economy. I was looking for a good combination of performance, comfort and luxury. Seems to me that the M550i checks those boxes nicely. I did test drive a 2020 model and was impressed with it. The ride quality and quietness exceeded my expectations. The engine/transmission performance was also impressive. With the salesperson riding along, I didn't push it really hard but I could tell that it was very refined as well as strong.

I have never owned a BMW. In fact, I have never owned a vehicle from a non-US manufacturer. I have done a fair amount of research but will likely have questions as time goes on.

·
Registered
112 Posts
good luck!
enjoying ours, just wish gas mileage was better, and im not even driving crazy
Don't worry. My new 750i isn't the most economical car in the world, but even if he got 14mpg the previous owner(s) spent 10x that in depreciation. Fuel doesn't matter to the cost of a premium car - it might as well be free.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I really don't care much about fuel economy. I was looking for a good combination of performance, comfort and luxury. Seems to me that the M550i checks those boxes nicely. I did test drive a 2020 model and was impressed with it. The ride quality and quietness exceeded my expectations. The engine/transmission performance was also impressive. With the salesperson riding along, I didn't push it really hard but I could tell that it was very refined as well as strong.

I have never owned a BMW. In fact, I have never owned a vehicle from a non-US manufacturer. I have done a fair amount of research but will likely have questions as time goes on.
understood.
the ride is really excellent, so smooth and quiet. I do love the power it has.
Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Curious if you will get a power lumbar for the passenger, HK stereo, or wireless charging pad, as these seem to be deleted from online build. the passenger seat is a no order for me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Curious if you will get a power lumbar for the passenger, HK stereo, or wireless charging pad, as these seem to be deleted from online build. the passenger seat is a no order for me.
I am not aware of those items being unavailable. The multi contour seats and HK stereo are listed as standard equipment on the M550i. If the car cannot be built as I ordered it, I will not accept it.

My order was originally placed by the dealer for their stock. They just tweaked some of the options and marked in sold with my name on it. I am not sure if that is different than starting a new order or not. It is already showing on the MyBMW site with the options that I want.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,132 Posts
Where did you see passenger power lumbar is not available on any 5? I think this is a 3- and 4-series deletion. Especially with multi-contour, they are not deleting power lumbar. My 540i with Executive Package has been built, awaiting shipping. My dealer informs me HK is there. But even in the passenger side lumbar was deleted, you would care that much? It's not the driver side.

Reactions: Brucelinc

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,132 Posts
I read that the head up display is unavailable on some models but it is still available on the 5 series.
All I know is, I'm glad my 540i has been built. I think the chip issue will get worse before it gets better. However, my car has been in "Quality Check" (post production) for 15 days now. I stopped by there yesterday and there are no "STOP" flags or other hold details. He showed me a bunch of orders for 3's, 4's, etc with big red "STOP" signs on the order detail. I'll feel better once the car is released for shipping.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
All I know is, I'm glad my 540i has been built. I think the chip issue will get worse before it gets better. However, my car has been in "Quality Check" (post production) for 15 days now. I stopped by there yesterday and there are no "STOP" flags or other hold details. He showed me a bunch of orders for 3's, 4's, etc with big red "STOP" signs on the order detail. I'll feel better once the car is released for shipping.
Yeah, things are a mess right now. My salesperson told me that mine is scheduled for production next week...much sooner than I expected. Crossing my fingers, toes and other body parts that it gets built with everything I want. :ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,132 Posts
Yeah, things are a mess right now. My salesperson told me that mine is scheduled for production next week...much sooner than I expected. Crossing my fingers, toes and other body parts that it gets built with everything I want. :ROFLMAO:
I originally had production complete date of 9/4. It showed production started but had not advanced to exterior body started. Took an extra couple weeks and finally started moving and was completed 9/16. They have changed the 800-number "front-end" and menus, it's really a bad "upgrade", and I told them. Anyway if you select production status on the automated phone line, it won't give any automated detail, it says login to "My Garage", or you have to talk to an actual rep.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts