BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
21 - 40 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The "My Garage" site is showing the car exactly as ordered by the dealer but with the changes that I wanted. The parking assist package is on the order....although it is not on the configurator any longer. This car was originally ordered with it when it WAS available. I wonder if it will be included. Not having the 360 camera would be a disappointment and likely a deal breaker. So far, the only thing deleted is the digital key....which I do not care about.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The "My Garage" site is showing the car exactly as ordered by the dealer but with the changes that I wanted. The parking assist package is on the order....although it is not on the configurator any longer. This car was originally ordered with it when it WAS available. I wonder if it will be included. Not having the 360 camera would be a disappointment and likely a deal breaker. So far, the only thing deleted is the digital key....which I do not care about.
Although it's not in the online configurator any longer, it is available for the M550. I just ordered my 550 and it shows up on my configuration as well.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
Progress is being made. Genius told me that updates on the website is often a couple of days behind and that my car is scheduled to be completed on October 22nd.
View attachment 1043506
I'll be interested to see if yours proceeds beyond the quality check phase quickly. Mine has been there now for over 5 weeks, since production completion on 9/16.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'll be interested to see if yours proceeds beyond the quality check phase quickly. Mine has been there now for over 5 weeks, since production completion on 9/16.
Yes, I have been following your deal. I don't quite understand the delay. Have you gotten any additional details on why yours doesn't seem to be moving?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I see yours is coming from Austria. Mine is coming from Munich. I wonder if that makes any difference in terms of wait times or delays?

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
I see yours is coming from Austria. Mine is coming from Munich. I wonder if that makes any difference in terms of wait times or delays?
I just got off a 30-minute call with BMW Genius. The person seemed more helpful than a couple others I have spoken with, and spent time doing additional digging to try to get some details. She does a lot of vehicle tracking and has seen a lot of examples. Her feeling is that since my car doesn't have any specific flags on it, or detailing specific major missing part, that it could be some minor part they are waiting for. So even though a car can get through the major "production", at the end is where they check for any parts that might have had to be omitted during the build and finished up at the end. And colors can make a difference, for example, a missing trim piece, interior "bit", whatever, so similar cars may not get stuck in this phase. She has also seen where various options were actually removed from a car after initial production due to lack of additional parts.

She has seen cars in quality check for 6-7 weeks and remembers one stuck for several months. She could see that some update to my vehicle record was made last week, so maybe some progress was made. Anyway, I think she was being honest and hopefully we'll see some progress in another week or so. Meantime, I had escalated through BMWNA and had a case manager assigned last week, although she hasn't gotten back to me with any updates. This phone person could see that other person had sent out some emails -- I guess it's just not easy to get with the exact person who could give the simple answer as to what the holdup is.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I just got off a 30-minute call with BMW Genius. The person seemed more helpful than a couple others I have spoken with, and spent time doing additional digging to try to get some details. She does a lot of vehicle tracking and has seen a lot of examples. Her feeling is that since my car doesn't have any specific flags on it, or detailing specific major missing part, that it could be some minor part they are waiting for. So even though a car can get through the major "production", at the end is where they check for any parts that might have had to be omitted during the build and finished up at the end. And colors can make a difference, for example, a missing trim piece, interior "bit", whatever, so similar cars may not get stuck in this phase. She has also seen where various options were actually removed from a car after initial production due to lack of additional parts.

She has seen cars in quality check for 6-7 weeks and remembers one stuck for several months. She could see that some update to my vehicle record was made last week, so maybe some progress was made. Anyway, I think she was being honest and hopefully we'll see some progress in another week or so. Meantime, I had escalated through BMWNA and had a case manager assigned last week, although she hasn't gotten back to me with any updates. This phone person could see that other person had sent out some emails -- I guess it's just not easy to get with the exact person who could give the simple answer as to what the holdup is.
Well, I guess that is good info....but not exactly great news. I know you and others have been waiting a long time. I admire your patience. I am not sure I could handle those kinds of delays. I was really hoping to see my car by Christmas. Maybe that is unrealistic.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
Mine jumped from quality check to awaiting carrier assignment overnight!
View attachment 1043616
Lucky guy! That's the way it's supposed to work. Now I'm thinking my delay may be related to the Executive Package I ordered, which I did for a couple of reasons. I think yours does not have that package (my diagram on My Garage shows the side window blinds deployed). My dealer had told me even a couple of months before I ordered, that the Harman Kardon system was not always available and was being reserved for the "highest models" (i.e., M550i). I was ordering the Premium package anyway, mostly for the HK. I had been interested in getting the rear and side blinds, and by ordering the Exec package ($900 more than Premium), I would get that ($575) plus the normally $650 ceramic controls for "only" $325 more, and hoping they would be more apt to put the HK in with that package. Oh, I also ordered the Cove Matte wood trim. Anyway, maybe some component of the trim, blinds or the ceramic knobs is the cause of my delay.

One of my nephew's sister-in-law ordered an 850i convertible back in May. I just heard that her car has been stuck at the Germany port for over 6 weeks.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
The 550 was already more expensive than any other car I ever had...by quite a bit. That was the reason I didn't do the exec package. The HC is standard on the 550 but I did want the head up display that is part of the premium package. The gesture control is just a gimmick as far as I am concerned. I am also getting the cove matte wood trim.

There could easily be more delays but I am happy with the progress so far.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
At one point, when using the online "build and price" tool, there was a $100 credit for deletion of the hands free trunk. That is no longer on the site. Does that mean the feature is now available....or that there is just no longer a credit?

The build sheet for the car I have on order does not show the credit, either. The only deletion shown is the digital key with an $80 credit. I guess I will not know if my car will have the hands free trunk until it arrives. I have it on my current car and it is very handy. However, if the BMW doesn't have it, it would not be a deal breaker.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
At one point, when using the online "build and price" tool, there was a $100 credit for deletion of the hands free trunk. That is no longer on the site. Does that mean the feature is now available....or that there is just no longer a credit?

The build sheet for the car I have on order does not show the credit, either. The only deletion shown is the digital key with an $80 credit. I guess I will not know if my car will have the hands free trunk until it arrives. I have it on my current car and it is very handy. However, if the BMW doesn't have it, it would not be a deal breaker.
I would think there would still be a credit if not available. My order showed the credit at that time. Same here, the kick feature was convenient at times on my '18, but I would be more unhappy if the whole motorized part was dropped.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I would think there would still be a credit if not available. My order showed the credit at that time. Same here, the kick feature was convenient at times on my '18, but I would be more unhappy if the whole motorized part was dropped.
My car's build sheet shows automated trunk lid mechanism, code S316a, but there no mention of hands free delete and no credit.

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
OK, mine FINALLY says "ready for transport" as of this morning! Finally some movement, I would expect "dispatched" maybe later today or tomorrow.

Reactions: Brucelinc

·
Premium Member
2018 540i MSport
9,155 Posts
My car is at the port in Bremerhaven. Now, we need a nice speedy ship!
Wow, it's moving along quickly. What port are you near in the U.S.? Mine will head toward Baltimore, MD, eventually. Did I mention that I heard from a relative's in-law that her 850i convertible has been at Bremerhaven port for like 5 weeks, always something.

21 - 40 of 113 Posts