BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else do this?

I use Google Earth to map out my trip. I can look at Satellite photos to determine elevation (white are snow capped mountain = high elevation <duh>). This will determine fog/snow/ice susceptible conditions (in late fall). Also shows road type (i.e. windy or straight roads)

You can create a route from city to city (like most mapping sw). From there there's a feature that'll follow that route (hit play under the directions window). It'll look like a helicopter view following the mapped out route. Pretty cool. :thumbup:

If only there's a feature that'll save the animation onto a file. Maybe that's where the paid upgrade come in..

Anyway, this is helping me a lot to map out my route in Europe. You guys may find this useful. Broadband connection is preferred though ...

Attachments

·
Powder Days
1,998 Posts
Cool! :thumbup:

·
Registered
269 Posts
This is an awesome tool.... Make me think twice about crossing those mountains..

How come your interface looks different? are you using the "plus"?

·
Happily Driving
7,201 Posts
I did this after the fact following my ED last year....

Looks like you haven't yet upgraded to Google Earth 4 :)

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I have been using Googlemap since it first came out, and have been using it to plan my ED trip too.

IMO, It just Kicks the $hit out of the competition... not to mention that I got lost today and ended up in San Pedro Island instead of Long Beach thanks to Yahoo Map print out that I was given by my ops.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmmm ??

Should I? ;)

After break in of course, close enough to Frankfurt drop off. Anyone know what's pictured? :)

epoints: using the free 3.xx version

Me530: will upgrade when out of beta

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
I see... I am using Beta.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts