Bimmerfest BMW banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to buy a 335i or ix and am looking for recommendations regarding year, things to watch out for, potential issues, etc. Thanks for any intelligence you might provide.

·
Registered
55 Posts
335 is great car but seem to have water pump.and other mechanical needs. High performance costs so be aware as they are a finely tuned vehicle.
A mate of mine, a 335 nut, has changed out quite a lot of his running gear...his is 8 years old but a fantastic drive.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Bimmerfest mobile app

·
beemlyfe
683 Posts
I would recommend 2009 or 2010 with a N54 engine, not N55. If you buy a 2007-2008 you're buying a never ending money pit.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would recommend 2009 or 2010 with a N54 engine, not N55. If you buy a 2007-2008 you're buying a never ending money pit.
I'd recommend that for the oil cooler if nothing else. The only real gripe I have with my 2007 is no oil cooler. I've not had any extreme expenditures, though. Worst was water pump/thermostat.

·
Breaking in the Pony
2019 Mustang GT / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
6,280 Posts
Loved my 2009 335xi. Went 130k miles before I sold it, and it was still doing well 30k miles and one year later when I talked to the new owner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Again, thanks for the feedback

From what I've read elsewhere, the N55 is considered a more reliable engine than the N54, unless one intends to seriously modify the car to achieve more power.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Again, thanks for the feedback

From what I've read, the N55 is considered to be a much more reliable engine than the N54, unless one intends to do some serious modifications to boost horsepower.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
From what I've read, the N55 is considered to be a much more reliable engine than the N54, unless one intends to do some serious modifications to boost horsepower.
Ummmmmmm, yes, I suppose you could say that, but that's a subjective statement. With the N55, you get different issues / are prone to different issues as compared to the N54. That being said, I think owners find the issues to be cheaper to resolve on the N55 vs the N54.

Honestly though, N54 vs N55 would be less of a concern to me as opposed to finding EITHER version with a good service history. A neglected N55 isn't going to be "better" than a cared for N54. IMO anyways.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2010 328xi which has the N52. I not too concerned about brute horsepower and prefer the reliability of a NA engine for reliability and maintenance costs.

·
pay it forward
1,386 Posts
I am thinking of buying a 2010 328xi which has the N52. I not too concerned about brute horsepower and prefer the reliability of a NA engine for reliability and maintenance costs.
this is the dilemma i was just in and ended up with a 2008 328xi sports wagon 6MT. I felt that the N52 would be less prone to issues than the N54. Hoping I made the right choice:eek:

·
Registered
08,535XI
242 Posts
Before you buy the car,commit and buy a KDcan cable and Bimmergeeks ProTool.

It will be needed and/or wanted soon after the car is in the driveway.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
I did exactly the same for my first BMW.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts