BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Interesting but i think it would make speed balancing a b1tch on top of how much weight it will add. Also i dont think it would survive the tire mounting machine. Unless the plasti-dip doesn't go all the way to the lip

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
Interesting but i think it would make speed balancing a b1tch on top of how much weight it will add. Also i dont think it would survive the tire mounting machine. Unless the plasti-dip doesn't go all the way to the lip
lol the weight it would add? .05lbs/wheel? joking?
I think come time for tire mounting you'd just take it off then spray it on again

·
03 540i now
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol the weight it would add? .05lbs/wheel? joking?
I think come time for tire mounting you'd just take it off then spray it on again
+1 Exactly what I was thinking. What about coating the inner lip for protection from brake dust. I have a new set of oem wheels and I want to keep the inner lips new. I wonder how the heat affects the plasti dip.

·
03 540i now
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen it at home depot online but it says ( use with primer coat) I thought you could just spray it on without primer ?

·
Registered
393 Posts
What are you guys talking about? Plasti-dip is thick heavy stuff, its not spray paint or powder coat. Is there new spray-able plasti dip? Ive always used it for coating tools handles

·
Registered
633 Posts
i have the spray paint plasti dip...but lol..that things not gonna last due to rocks/pebbles/debris on freewys and regular driving all together...youd have to keep on replasti dipping it over and over..unless youve got hookups on plastidip, it will be quite expensive and a headahce in the long run...i would not do it...

·
Registered
393 Posts
wow ive been oblivious to the fact that the spray even existed lol

·
WTB - your E39 M5
6,216 Posts
i have the spray paint plasti dip...but lol..that things not gonna last due to rocks/pebbles/debris on freewys and regular driving all together...youd have to keep on replasti dipping it over and over..unless youve got hookups on plastidip, it will be quite expensive and a headahce in the long run...i would not do it...
Yea I am curious of its longevity as well. Might as well have OP try it for a while and keep us updated.

wow ive been oblivious to the fact that the spray even existed lol
You know BMW has some new cars out :p

·
03 540i now
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After all the searching I have done since my last post Im thinking about doing it. There are some guys on VW forums that have plasti dip wheels for months know and they still look good. I think it may work out good I will post pics when I attempt this.

·
Der Ursprüngliche....Albo
1,008 Posts
This would be good for "shadow-lining" window trim...

·
Registered
6,925 Posts
Plasti-Dip would work fine for wheels and last indefinitely. I Plasti-Dipped my front kidney grills over two years ago and they still look new. The paint on my hood has taken a beating from NE salt & sand but the Plasti-Dip is much more durable than paint. And I did not prime the grills either. The best thing is that the entire process is fully reversible. If you don't like the look, peel the Plasti-Dip off!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Plasti-dip has been used for a long time, and yes it comes in spray cans. The Mini guys were using it for ages.

It works from wheels to body parts. It will last because it's rubber and if chip/rock will hit the part, it will bounce back.

Plasti-dip can:

Process of plasti-dipping chrome parts (they are dipped already):

Finished "shadowlined" trims:

Plast-dipped wheel:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Balancing shouldn't be an issue. There's no lip on the front to attach weights to. If you choose to spray the inside of the wheel, you can leave the inside lip unsprayed (static balance the wheel) or just balance as normal with sticky weights. Should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using BimmerApp

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Not

·
Registered
8,775 Posts
Is heavy oil and heavy grease easily washed off of that flat finish? I would guess that the spots would be difficult to see but yet could be seen if one was looking for them. Its not a high quality coating.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts