BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today i took my car to the closest mechanic to my house because they finally had time to take a look at the car... and as i had no other choice since i couldnt drive the car at more than 30 ks i had to wait for them to give me a time to go in.
I was having problems with some part of my drive train and after talking to some people we had concluded that it was something to do with the diff..
Boy we couldn't be more wrong.
On the front end of the drive shaft theres supposedly meant to be a plastic of some sort that stops the metal joints from grinding against each other, well mine had completely disintegrated and doesn't even exist hence my problem with the vibrations that had me sitting my car at home for 2 weeks :(.
well the mechanic said hell be charging me well over 500 bucks because its gonna take a while and everything has to be taken off, and his gonna charge me even more if i get him to put the diff in.

Can someone give me more info on this plastic bit, what it is, what it does and how mine got destroyed?
another question, does this mean my drive shaft is damaged as well because wen i had a sneak peak at it it seemed like the joint was completely ****ed.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The "plastic" piece is actually rubber, it's called a flexplate or a guibo. It's absolutely vital that it's in good condition for smooth operation and acceleration of your car. The fail over time because all rubber drys and disintegrates over time, and it is a high stress piece on your car, it puts up with high pressures and forces every time you accelerate.

Yes, it's very difficult to replace, the exhuast from the headers back is supposed to come off, but I was able to do it by just loosening it by the muffler area. Then, there are like 6 PITA bolts/nuts you must undue, and it's all done in a very tight space.

The good news: With a new guibo installed, your car will feel smooth (Considering nothing else was damaged in the process), and you will feel more torque because its a vital transferer of torque and power from the crankshaft to the wheels.

Good luck man, I hope this post was helpful, and not just a big waste of typing Lol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks man, yeah it was great help.... so paying 500 bucks isnt such a good idea if it isnt too hard. And yeah i was losing LOTS of torque i had to floor the car THE WHOLE time.
Does the heat shield and everything have to come out?

·
Tyler's Paw Paw
942 Posts
DON'T PAY $500!!! I just got mine out of the shop yesterday for the exact same thing, and it was a little over $250 for the job, and that included putting on a new drive shaft (which I bought separately).

Seriously, $500 is stealing from you.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well supposedly the part will cost a few hundred bucks, and he said its a minumem 2-3 hour job, they charge $98 per hour.

I am so screwed :(

i just wanna drive my car again.
I MISS IT SO MUCH

·
Registered
182 Posts
what's teh AUS $ worth again?

yeah I just made a post about it yesterday, I had driven with mine for a while and when it came off it was shredded too.

Funny enough I did notice more power but thought I was tripping when there was a bit less

that's how the fuel economy guage really helps you out and notice the little things

anyways, part is $50 and I paid $100 total to replace mine but I know my mechanic pretty well, we're both from teh same part of the world too

I think labor was an hour, and it takes 2 people, I was at the mechanic's for 5 hours but they only worked on it for a bit

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Well supposedly the part will cost a few hundred bucks, and he said its a minumem 2-3 hour job, they charge $98 per hour.

I am so screwed :(

i just wanna drive my car again.
I MISS IT SO MUCH
There's no way the part should cost "a few hundred dollars" Go online to Pelican parts, order it there, and just have them install it.

edit: Just Bryce beat me to it. :(

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So driving around with a "bad" flex disk....
how much damage can it cause to the rest of the components?
is it possible that my drive shaft and/or my transmition are damaged aswell?

·
Registered
27,273 Posts
So driving around with a "bad" flex disk....
how much damage can it cause to the rest of the components?
is it possible that my drive shaft and/or my transmition are damaged aswell?
It may eat up that center bearing as well due to the "slop" in the shaft :dunno:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts