BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's another music question, but of a more technology-related nature:

Since part of my ED experience will be a long road trip all over Europe, I am wondering what people have done for music. That is, my car will only have a single CD player but I want to be able to play hours and hours of music without having to bring along dozens of CDs. As I understand it, the auxiliary input adapter cannot be installed until the car returns to the US, so that option is out. Are there other ways to hook up an mp3 player (specifically an iPod)? I won't have a cassette player (so can't use a cassette adapter). Would an FM transmitter work in Europe? Has anyone tried it?

I have also found some forum threads that say the CD player will play MP3s. My car will be an X3. Can anyone confirm that the X3 CD player plays MP3s? If so, I think that will suffice.

Thanks in advance!

·
I do'nt make mistakes.
10,478 Posts
lvchan said:
Here's another music question, but of a more technology-related nature:

Since part of my ED experience will be a long road trip all over Europe, I am wondering what people have done for music. That is, my car will only have a single CD player but I want to be able to play hours and hours of music without having to bring along dozens of CDs. As I understand it, the auxiliary input adapter cannot be installed until the car returns to the US, so that option is out. Are there other ways to hook up an mp3 player (specifically an iPod)? I won't have a cassette player (so can't use a cassette adapter). Would an FM transmitter work in Europe? Has anyone tried it?

I have also found some forum threads that say the CD player will play MP3s. My car will be an X3. Can anyone confirm that the X3 CD player plays MP3s? If so, I think that will suffice.

Thanks in advance!
An FM transmitter would work because it transmits to U.S. frequencies, and the car is a U.S-spec model with U.S.-spec radio. I didn't try using the radio at all during my ED; I just bought a few CD's in each country as I went.

On E46's, it will play MP3's if you DON'T have the Navigation system. I think the new X3's play MP3, but to be safe, ask in the X forum.

·
In Driving Heaven
2,772 Posts
cwsqbm said:
An FM transmitter would work because it transmits to U.S. frequencies, and the car is a U.S-spec model with U.S.-spec radio. I didn't try using the radio at all during my ED; I just bought a few CD's in each country as I went.

On E46's, it will play MP3's if you DON'T have the Navigation system. I think the new X3's play MP3, but to be safe, ask in the X forum.
I would think the radio would be set for European frequencies when you pick it up and then reset for the US at the VPC. I can't remember if I used the radio in Europe any more. Senility is setting in. I guess I'll have to do another ED to test out my theory. :lmao:

·
Ultimate Driving Machine
2,208 Posts
Spectre said:
I would think the radio would be set for European frequencies when you pick it up and then reset for the US at the VPC. I can't remember if I used the radio in Europe any more. Senility is setting in. I guess I'll have to do another ED to test out my theory. :lmao:
U.S. AM/FM works fine in Europe although I think we miss a few frequencies.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The iPod with an FM transmitter works very well on a US-spec car in Europe. I used it, along with a few purchased cds for my 1200-mile ED. That said, the regular radio stations that can be picked up are pretty entertaining too.

TVN

·
Registered
668 Posts
Just listen to the radio as you drive through all these countries. It is so much fun. You can listen to your CDs and MP3s or whatever else when you get back home but you will never listen to the live Italian stations as you pass another Autogrill and leave all the Alfas in the dust on the Autostrada!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts