BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Playing music via bluetooth

45679 Views 19 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  pmelle
So I have a Samsung galaxy S3 that I have paired with my car. I was wondering, can I play music from Pandora via the bluetooth? Or do I have to connect it via the aux input?

Thanks
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
The 6 does not have bluetooth streaming (the 2012 does!). You can use an aftermarket bluetooth receiver, I use the Blackberry Bluetooth Stereo Gateway, specifically since it is a powered unit which turns on and off with the car.

There are several of these bluetooth stereo receiver adapters, they plug into your Aux In port and then you phone connects to that wirelessly.
Do you then put the Idrive in aux and it plays through there?
Yes, phone streams to device via bluetooth, Device plugs into headphone aux in port in car, then idrive in aux in mode plays anything that would normally play when you have headphone in your samsung.

Connects concurrently with the factory handsfree bluetooth

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
:thumbup: This is one of the reasons why I have not renewed my subscription to the satellite radio. Between my phone and my USB I have plenty of music to listen to.
Yes, phone streams to device via bluetooth, Device plugs into headphone aux in port in car, then idrive in aux in mode plays anything that would normally play when you have headphone in your samsung.

Connects concurrently with the factory handsfree bluetooth

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer App
My satellite is still going strong courtesy of the previous owner, but I would do the same if it stopped. Between phone and MP3 cd's music is well covered, the satellite is great but not indispensable for me.
On my 05 I do not have a aux connection. Would I need to remove the CD changer, or what would be needed. I keep the Sirius active on this car, & use my IPhone to play Sirius in the rest. For 2 extra dollars a month, I really use it a lot!
Herb, for you it should be cakewalk. It takes a couple of steps, first you have to get the kit, then install in the back of the radio unit. So you have disassemble your center console. Once you have it installed you then have to code the system (or have dealer do it) to turn on the Aux In. If you review the coding threads you will see the lines to turn on Aux In once installed. It does not remove changer or anything like that.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124742&highlight=aux+install

The funny thing is that you buy the BMW or aftermarket Aux kit, but then you take the pins out of the plastic connector you purchased, discard that, then manually insert them into your existing molex connector on the back of the radio unit. So to my mind you should be able to go to Radio Shack, buy some wire pins, or find a plastic connector with similar pins that you could use and just make your own wire connection. It is a simple wiring, you will have a Stereo Left wire, Right wire, and a Common Ground wire. So three I believe (been a while since I read all of the details). Once you have the three wires into the back of the radio you can run the wires out to wherever you wish and attach a headphone in jack.

I am including the PDF instructions for the OEM Aux In kit.

Attachments

The input will probably allow mono only, not stereo from the IPhone? What is different with this kit verses the CD changer removal? This sounds much easier!

Thanks
It is stereo, if you strip the wires for a headphone jack the ground is common to both left and right. Maybe higher quality jacks are different, don't know.

The CD changer removal is for when you put in the Ipod kits like the mObridge or Dension. Those allow a ton of functionality in comparison, you select your CD changer and instead can select playslits and such.

This is just adding a factory headphone jack input that your car was capable of having but never bothered to give you when you purchase it until 2007.
Has anyone had experience with these?:
BMW E60 E61 E63 E64 Bluetooth AUX-IN ADAPTER CABLE Radio Navigation System

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DfsAAOSwHjNWA9nf/s-l500.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61...ash=item3ab36a1705:g:DfsAAOSwHjNWA9nf&vxp=mtr

Bluetooth Aux-In Retrofit cable suitable for BMW models:

from year 2003

BMW 5 Series (E60, E61)
BMW 6 Series (E63, E64)

Allows you to stream your music via the Bluetooth function of the mobile phone / smartphone to your car stereo.

in conjunction with:

AUX must be selected or are to be enabled!

SA 609 (navigation system)
SA 650 (Business radio with CD drive)
SA 661 (Business radio with CD drive)
SA 662 (Radio Business)

Specifications:

Most x 1 connector (12-pin)
MADE IN GERMANY
Plug and Play
Function via Bluetooth-enabled devices
No functional limitations of the car radio
allows you to connect an external audio source
Very easy installation
this module allows you to connect an external audio source such as Spotify on Bluethooth enabled devices (eg. B. smatphone, Tablet, iPad, etc.)

The CD changer function is maintained.

AUX must be activated in the menu!
I don't see anything about steering wheel controls. That's the main thing I would want. I added a Soundbot SB360 to my aux input so I at least have fwd/rev buttons. Replaced the bottom of my center console to add some more room.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61...ash=item3ab36a1705:g:DfsAAOSwHjNWA9nf&vxp=mtr

from year 2003

BMW 5 Series (E60, E61)
BMW 6 Series (E63, E64)

Allows you to stream your music via the Bluetooth function of the mobile phone / smartphone to your car stereo.

in conjunction with:

SA 662 (Radio Business)

Specifications:

MADE IN GERMANY
Plug and Play
Very easy installation
this module allows you to connect an external audio source such as Spotify on Bluethooth enabled devices (eg. B. smatphone, Tablet, iPad, etc.)

No experience with this kit, but it would follow the same procedure as the regular BMW Aux kit that you purchase. You would have to pull the pins out of that solid plastic connector plug and insert them individually into the existing plug on the back of the 6 head unit. No big deal actually. That plug they show is already being used to connect other devices in the 6, that is why you have to just move the pin's. The instructions are on page 7 of the pdf attached.

Since you have a 645 you do not have Aux In already enabled, so you would have to program that yourself with NCS Expert or have the dealer activate (cost involved). Just plugging in the hardware does not activate the Aux within the Idrive system.

If it was me wanting to go this route, I would buy the Aux In kit for $4.00, then buy my own bluetooth streaming connector. I use the Kinivio BTC450 as it streams in full CD quality, I have tested numerous other bluetooth streamers and they all compress the single resulting in attenuation of the high's and low's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/For-BMW-E60...ash=item4d4205aa2f:g:gG4AAOSwo6lWKdpD&vxp=mtr

from year 2003

BMW 5 Series (E60, E61)
BMW 6 Series (E63, E64)

in conjunction with:

SA 662 (Radio Business)

Specifications:

MADE IN GERMANY
Plug and Play
Very easy installation

I don't see anything about steering wheel controls. That's the main thing I would want. I added a Soundbot SB360 to my aux input so I at least have fwd/rev buttons. Replaced the bottom of my center console to add some more room.
From reading the description it is clearly an Aux In kit with a bluetooth receiver attached. In the ad it states that Aux would need to be enabled on the car to work, the Aux In is a "dumb" connection that simply receives a stereo signal. So yes, it will not have steering wheel controls or display album/song info on the screen.

The device you reference is nice but still would require Aux In to be activated in his car.

Attachments

Since you have a 645 you do not have Aux In already enabled, so you would have to program that yourself with NCS Expert or have the dealer activate (cost involved). Just plugging in the hardware does not activate the Aux within the Idrive system.

From reading the description it is clearly an Aux In kit with a bluetooth receiver attached. In the ad it states that Aux would need to be enabled on the car to work, the Aux In is a "dumb" connection that simply receives a stereo signal. So yes, it will not have steering wheel controls or display album/song info on the screen.

The device you reference is nice but still would require Aux In to be activated in his car.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. The former owner of my car must have had the AUX activated previously....As it shows up "AUX" < IN WHITE, NOT GREY) on my menu.
That is helpful, you would think the hardware would still be there, have you searched the glovebox and center armrest?

I can't see it being worth much to pull out the aux kit, more work than it is worth! But hey, you never know...
I've only looked in the glovebox and center console, felt, looked in footwells. When I pull the center dash I will see if the Aux cable is still attached and trace it if it is there. If it is I'll have a Bluetooth module for sale.
That is helpful, you would think the hardware would still be there, have you searched the glovebox and center armrest?

I can't see it being worth much to pull out the aux kit, more work than it is worth! But hey, you never know...
I/m using in my bmw bluetooth adapter from Sound2Air and it works very good for me also you could charge you phone at the same time https://sound2air.com/collections/b...ir-bluetooth-a2dp-adapter-for-bmw-mini-cooper superior quality and music streaming***65279;
You are responding to a thread over 1 year old.
I/m using in my bmw bluetooth adapter from Sound2Air and it works very good for me also you could charge you phone at the same time https://sound2air.com/collections/b...ir-bluetooth-a2dp-adapter-for-bmw-mini-cooper superior quality and music streaming***65279;
The comment by user Sound is still useful info. For somebody that has a car with the USB connector AND the aux connector already available.

Which is mostly what this thread has NOT been about. It's for the rest of us from the pre-USB or even pre-aux connector days who need help bringing our cars up to the modern era.
I have my iPhone connected to tune2air 1000 in my my car. It streams music wireless really well. this works with android phones too.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.