BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to buy a 3 Series as a restoration project say 82-93, what would be my best choice. Considering parts still available and those that were mostly free of problems. What is the popular choice. Thanks for the help. Happy Motoring

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
89-91 i or is. plastic bumpers look better, has the 2.5 which has more mods available.

·
Registered
174 Posts
completely agree i have the 89 is model and love it and cant wait to finish it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You, any preference on 4 or 6 cylinder engines ???? and a side note will a 84 318 motor work in a 89-91 318 ????? thanks again

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the 1.8 liter motor. The 2.5 is just so much more powerful. The chasis is basically the same, but having the larger engine really makes the car come alive.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is the difference in fuel mileage ???? with the 1.8 vs the 2.5 ? given they are both in tip top shape. thanks

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
What is the difference in fuel mileage ???? with the 1.8 vs the 2.5 ? given they are both in tip top shape. thanks
in all honesty pretty much nothing. depends on your driving style really, if you cruise at speed then the 2.5 is going to be better, and if you sit in traffic all day in idleing then its going to make no difference. 2.5 is better as a restoration project as youll be more happy with the extra power on tap (over half as much again as the 1.8

·
Registered
174 Posts
The six is much better in my oppinion too, it is just fun to drive.

·
obsessed
806 Posts
Get the 6. I get almost 25 city and 28 highway...and I floor it at almost every light and onramp to the interstate. Parts are more available also.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Love my 87 325E. True, not as quick off the line as the smaller 325i 2.5--the 325E actually is a 2.7L. But, with the 5spd tranny it is very torquey, and reaches max torque at lower revs--the tach redlines at 5-6 rather than the 6-7 rpm of the 325i. Lower revs and fewer moving parts = longer lasting. I have 186k and no re-build yet. No oil being burned. Great gas mileage, too. 26 city 32 highway.

·
livin large
7,557 Posts
Love my 87 325E. True, not as quick off the line as the smaller 325i 2.5--the 325E actually is a 2.7L. But, with the 5spd tranny it is very torquey, and reaches max torque at lower revs--the tach redlines at 5-6 rather than the 6-7 rpm of the 325i. Lower revs and fewer moving parts = longer lasting. I have 186k and no re-build yet. No oil being burned. Great gas mileage, too. 26 city 32 highway.
redline for the eta is 4500rpm where the 2.5 is 5500

1 - 15 of 15 Posts