BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Love my 5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I've got a serious tech question! I have a 1997 528i it blew a head gasket right after I bought it. Since the car had almost 200k on it I chose to replace the motor rather than just fixing the head gasket. I scored a motor with 65k for $1000 shipped to my door. Once we started stripping it down to the long block i started to realize too many things were different. Long story short motor is in it is a E34 motor not an E39 I had to relocate the block mounted crank sensor to the front the motor now can't read the timing order correctly. If I change the timing gear from my original motor which also has one up front to this block would that fix my timing issues? Does anyone have an answer or am I screwed? I also thought about swapping out the computer with that of an E34 but will that work? Any help would be great! :mad::mad:

·
Love my 5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Crankshaft trigger is the correct name for what I called Timing gear. Am I safe to assume they are different from the motor sent to me than the original motor I pulled out. Let me clarify that the motor sent to me the E34 was stripped down to long block so I could use all my original parts intake & exhaust manifolds and all my sensors. With that being said the only difference was that the original motor had a Crank sensor mounted in the back of the block and I relocated it to the front on the timing cover of the replacement motor. Thanks for any input.

·
Love my 5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea that was my last option. Unfortunately i've been on disability so my money has ran dry. I would have to pay to get the engine taken out again to sell it since I can't do it myself due to my injuries. Just thought I'd ask to see if I had another option before that.

·
Premium Member
17,427 Posts
First, let me just say this: I don't know.

Now that we got that out of the way. When you say Crankshaft Trigger, are you talking about the "Crackshaft Positioning Sensor"? If that's that, then I don't think it's a big deal. There is not too much of a sophisticated electronics in that piece. It just sends a "pulse" of voltage when a piece of the crackshaft passes nearby it.

Are they exactly the same between the E39 and E34? I don't know.

Can you just stick your E39 sensor in the hole in the E34? I am guessing, most likely yes. You might need to extend the wires though. And if it doesn't match, no harm done. It will be as if that sensor went bad on you. Nothing major.

Don't even think about changing your computer.

Are you familiar with http://bmwfans.info and with realoem.com ? Check for the part number, see if it is the same between the two engines.

mw

P.S. ... What size engine??? I just checked, and the E34 did not have a 528 model. Only 525 and 530.

·
Love my 5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Crankshaft trigger I mean is the black gear behind the harmonic balancer. The notches that send the pulse to the sensor itself. I'm in the process of finding out exactly what motor I have from the seller and also seeing what they are gonna do for me since it was their screw up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.