BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe one of you can help me, my car ran fine with a camshaft position sensor light coming on and off. I pulled up to a store turned it off and it wouldnt start after that, it turns over fine but acts like its not getting gas or spark. I borrowed a code reader from O'Reily and it had the camshaft code and this idle air code. Any help would be greatly apprieciated. -Vince

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
When you first turn the key to Position 2 (just before START), do you hear the fuel pump coming on ?

·
Keeping it surreal
43,351 Posts
Interesting question. Never noticed it before I guess I can check fir fuel pressure at the fuel rail ha?
First things first, Bucko....open the door, and lean out while turning the key to Position 2....you *should* hear the pump kick on....

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
Ok, that's the "head out the door" approach to pump verification. If you can get a helper to turn the key for you, same can be accomplished by putting ear to the rear right passenger seat, which is where the pump is and where you will have to go to replace it if dead. Should hear it kick in for a few seconds then quit (to restart again only until the engine starts, to avoid flooding). This approach might work better if the surrounding area is very noisy (don't expect a big sound emanating from the pump).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
no noise from the fuel pump i removed the seat and opened up that compartment. I also checked the fuel rail for pressure and there is none. It sounds like its safe to say this is the fuel pump...Is autohaus the best place to get one? Any other ideas guys??

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'm not entirely sure a camshaft position sensor failure will cause your car not to start but I had the same error thrown at the time the stealership replaced my fuel pump. I had the same symptom (crank no fire) but the only code being thrown was the camshaft sensor error. When I took it in they replaced the sensor and also said the fuel pump was bad. I asked them whether non-starting symptoms like I was having could be caused by the sensor at the time and they said yes that it could cause a number of things to happen.

I have no reason NOT to believe them, but less than a day later I had to replace the fuel pump relay for the same non-starting issue. Food for thought I guess.

·
catso
3,163 Posts
I'm not entirely sure a camshaft position sensor failure will cause your car not to start but I had the same error thrown at the time the stealership replaced my fuel pump. I had the same symptom (crank no fire) but the only code being thrown was the camshaft sensor error. When I took it in they replaced the sensor and also said the fuel pump was bad. I asked them whether non-starting symptoms like I was having could be caused by the sensor at the time and they said yes that it could cause a number of things to happen.

I have no reason NOT to believe them, but less than a day later I had to replace the fuel pump relay for the same non-starting issue. Food for thought I guess.
The horn relay and the fuel pump relays are supposed to be the same. Try switching the two before you buy a new pump.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
where are these relays located?
Glovebox, behind the fuses. Might need to drop the glovebox (6 screws). Pump is #3 in diagram, while horn is #6; both are pale green. Before tearing into there, make sure fuse #54 is good, cause that one powers the relay that powers the pump....

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.