BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have already read basically everything that available about this problem but have yet to find someone who had the same problem as me. Since I have owned it, the tailgate on my '06 530xiT will resist opening and closing, making it very difficult to use. When I press the button on the inside of the trunk, it will move up or down about an inch at a time, but that's it. The electric latch works and I have replaced all of the wiring leading to the trunk in order to eliminate the chance of this being an electrical issue.

For the hydraulic pump, I completely drained and replaced the old fluid, but I am now am experiencing no resistance from the tailgate, as it does not stay in place and falls due to its own weight. I have even tried using a separate pump (AND hydraulic strut outside of the car) and have experienced the same results: the pump only engages for a second and then stops working (except now it won't move the strut an inch like it used to). I can see the hydraulic fluid leave the reservoir but no strut movement as a result.

I've ordered a new gas strut for the passenger's side because the outer plastic is cracked, and am hoping that this better supports the hydraulic strut on the driver's side. If anyone has any suggestions or advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2001 325i 5mt, 2009 535xi Touring 6mt
928 Posts
I don***8217;t suppose you have scanned it with ISTA? I would be curious if the opening angle sensor is showing correct values as you move the hatch through its stroke. Secondly, could be something with the module in the trunk? I imagine those are fairly cheap on eBay. ISTA can run you through diagnostics on it which I did when I bought my E61 and liftgate wasn***8217;t working. My problem was a bit different though as a previous owner had removed the pump and hydraulic arm altogether and converted to manual liftgate. I bought a used pump and arm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.