BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

PLEASE HELP! E90 bmw light brake lights flickering all night!

1788 Views 4 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  gbalthrop
Hey guys, i have a 2011 bmw 323i (E90)
And recently when i turn my car off, all 3 rear lights start flickering! It happens all night and was still going when i checked this morning. Im really worried it will kill tge battery. Any idea how i could stop this? I have tried clearing codes as well as starting and stopping the car. ANY help is greatly appreciated.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Now my windows no longer work :(
QUESTIONS:
1) What Fault Codes do you have in the FRM Module, the CAS Module and the JBE Module?
2) What Make/Model Scan Tool do you have? Do you have any Diagnostic Software such as INPA/ISTA?
3) What are the Last-7 Characters of your Vehicle's VIN? Needed to make sure correct wiring info provided.
4) Are you SURE it's the Brake Light bulbs (including High-Middle LED panel) that are "flickering"? Is there any regular "Periodicity" or rhythm of lights On/Off, or is it completely random?
5) Do they flicker when Parking/Side Lights are on? Do they flicker with engine running, or simply Ignition ON, either with Side Lights On/Off?
6) Does your Radio Display Panel light flicker (Radio is also powered via CAS Terminal R, along with Brake Lights)?
7) Do your REAR windows work, at least with their respective Door Switches?

The FRM powers the Brake Lights, AND the Front Window Motors, but the CAS provides power via "Terminal R" (which also powers the Radio, and comes on when you insert Remote Key into insert compartment), to the Brake Light Switch to send a signal to the FRM to activate brake lights.

Attached are ISTA screens showing Brake Light Switch and Brake Light circuits for 3/2011 build 323i E90. If you provide answers to questions above we can suggest "Next Steps" to test.
George

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology
Rectangle Slope Font Line Screenshot
2011 bmw 323i (E90); when i turn my car off, all 3 rear lights start flickering! It happens all night and was still going when i checked this morning.
Now my windows no longer work :(
Thanks for the respone!
1/2. Sadly i only have a bluetokth obd reader(elm327). The vodes that appear when i run a scan are p052b, p0597 p0012, b2aaa. I so not have any further diagnosic soctware.
3.nm68182
4.it includes the high middle brake light. And there is kind of a rthem.
5/6.once the car is on, they no longer flicker. And the dash is completly unaffected.
7. The rear windows do work. As well as mirrors and sunroof!
I really appreciate your help! Im dieing out here lol
QUESTIONS:
1) What Fault Codes do you have in the FRM Module, the CAS Module and the JBE Module?
2) What Make/Model Scan Tool do you have? Do you have any Diagnostic Software such as INPA/ISTA?
3) What are the Last-7 Characters of your Vehicle's VIN? Needed to make sure correct wiring info provided.
4) Are you SURE it's the Brake Light bulbs (including High-Middle LED panel) that are "flickering"? Is there any regular "Periodicity" or rhythm of lights On/Off, or is it completely random?
5) Do they flicker when Parking/Side Lights are on? Do they flicker with engine running, or simply Ignition ON, either with Side Lights On/Off?
6) Does your Radio Display Panel light flicker (Radio is also powered via CAS Terminal R, along with Brake Lights)?
7) Do your REAR windows work, at least with their respective Door Switches?

The FRM powers the Brake Lights, AND the Front Window Motors, but the CAS provides power via "Terminal R" (which also powers the Radio, and comes on when you insert Remote Key into insert compartment), to the Brake Light Switch to send a signal to the FRM to activate brake lights.

Attached are ISTA screens showing Brake Light Switch and Brake Light circuits for 3/2011 build 323i E90. If you provide answers to questions above we can suggest "Next Steps" to test.
George

View attachment 1030362 View attachment 1030363
I'm NOT sure what "b2aaa" code represents, but I attach a ScreenPrint of ISTA description of the other Fault Codes, ALL of which are saved in DME Module, and are UN-related to your Light & Front Window issue. You need to read any Fault Codes saved in FRM Module (lighting Module) Fault Memory. In the US, most any parts store chain such as Advance Auto or Autozone, will provide a FREE reading of fault codes in ALL Modules. I would suggest trying that. Take a photo of any Scan Tool Screen so we know what it says. You MAY have a Fault Code in the CAS Module (which powers Brake Light Switch), so make sure you get any CAS Module Fault Code as well.

Note that there are two or three possible definitions for each of the three fault codes listed. If you were reading codes it INPA or ISTA, the SPECIFIC Definition for your Module Variant and full code would appear, and you would NOT have to guess which Definition applies.

Any FRM Module Fault Codes would narrow the search. INPA on a Windows 10 OS Laptop is the BEST Diagnostic Tool. Program is FREE, and Cable to connect Laptop to OBD II Socket is $45 from BimmerGeeks.
George

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Technology
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.