BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Bimmerfest folks,

I live in Winnipeg, Canada and am the proud owner of a BMW E53. Recently, I have been hearing this rattling noise when I start the engine. I can't figure it out if the noise is coming from a tension/idle pulley, a worn out belt, or simply the power steering pump. The noise goes away after the engine warms up (roughly 10-15 mins after).

The colder the temperatures drop the louder the noise gets. It gets very cold out here and the temperatures this year have dropped to -30°C (for all you living in the States: -22 °F).

I will attach a video of this issue and hope that you guys can help me get to the bottom of this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

http://sendvid.com/27l2a1kl_a__a2_

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
My wife's x5 was doing similar it was the power steering. When it got to zero F, whiny grindy moany sound. She was low on fluid and I topped off and it improved.

I saw a heater plug out the front may want to add one to the steering reservoir. If I'm right it makes sense it takes a long time for just friction in the steering recirculating to warm the fluid which will practically be a paste at -30C. Maybe can use something lower viscosity as a possibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
245 Posts
The groaning sound is the power steering like mentioned previously. You might try changing the fluid to a different type but sometimes when it gets done to -30 or -40 it's going to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts