BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im a little confused i did some reading and still confused i just purchased a key from ebay its a bmw key the one diamond shaped with three buttons ,it was brand new i had it cut and it wont start the car.My question is do i have to take it to the dealer to be able to program it to be able to start the car or can i do this myself. Please help

·
Registered
6,924 Posts
Yes, the dealer needs to program your new key. However, there is no guarantee that this key will work on your car, given the source. The key, even though very pricey (~$150) is one of the few things I would only buy from a dealer.

·
Registered
12,439 Posts
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG :yikes: ....this key will NEVER be able to be programmed by the dealer to "start" your car. If you had the older style key...you could have cannabalized one of your other keys...like the spare wallet or valet key...and swapped in the "correct" transponder...but the new style keys transponder is not "loose" inside the key...but is attached to the circuit board.

Somehow you must have missed the whole concept of your key having an embedded transponder which contains an ISN (individual serial number) that MUST match your car's DME/ECU and EWS control module. This is why you can only get a key from BMW that will start your car.

The EWS feature is the immobilizing technolgy that requires that the key, DME, & EWS control module commuicate with each other before your car will start. This technology does NOT require ANY programming by you...neither does it require the battery inside the key to operate...EWS is self powering and uses a 125 KHz AM signal that powers up thru induction by the Ring Antenna (around the ignition switch) communicating with the EWS control module.

Now that you've purchased this eBay key and had it cut...you have a GREAT emergency key that you can keep in your kitchen drawer in the event that you lock your keys in the car or trunk. You can program it to lock/unlock the car remotely...and it will arm/disarm the alarm...and in your case...manually unlock the car door & trunk...BUT it WILL NOT start the car Unless you use it within 10 seconds of removing a key that contains the ISN encoded chip that is specific to your car's VIN.

(instructions on how to program the (9/99-up) master key w/remote features to lock/unlock the car and arm/disarm the alarm system)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below is the explanation of EWS. The operation of this system always get's confused with the FZV & DWA systems which are also features of your master keys w/remote buttons:
  • EWS is the immobilizing "drive-away-protection" system
  • FZV is the keyless entry system
  • DWA is the alarm system.
Both of those "key" features can be programmed by you in the comfort of your driveway or garage (etc.) :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts