BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have a 2006 750i and have nothing but problems with this car. The first minor problem: when I start the car it will misfire and stall out unless I hold my foot on the gas revving the engine. I have had my entire fuel system checked and cleaned no problem there. Second problem : when I idle in traffic for an extended period of time the car will smoke, had the valve cover gaskets fixed did not help still pissing away oil like nobody's business.
Third problem: when the car down shifts to 2nd and 1st gear I get a little thud the car actually shifts done once in at a complete stop.
Fourth: when I lay on the gas the car will sputter before finally going.
Fifth and worst problem yet : if I do not come to a complete stop before turning left or right doesn't matter the car will shift into neutral and the steering will lock, which is very scary. The car will not move from neutral and has to be turned off and will be fine. The car currently only has 59k miles it has always been fine all these things happened one after the other. Someone please help me before this car kills me ! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the smoking is your valve stem seals - I just replaced mine, it's a large job and expect to pay $2500 to $3000 for that alone. Not sure on the rest of the stuff. Have you had the car diagnosed? Where in PA are you?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
the smoking is your valve stem seals - I just replaced mine, it's a large job and expect to pay $2500 to $3000 for that alone. Not sure on the rest of the stuff. Have you had the car diagnosed? Where in PA are you?
Hopefully anything that needs to be done I can do with the help of my brother. Bmw in Devon looked at my car for 3 hours all they told me was the valve cover gasket which has been replaced. It's really strange that the car has not thrown up any check engine lights or something!

·
Registered
4,814 Posts
Okay so I have a 2006 750i and have nothing but problems with this car. The first minor problem: when I start the car it will misfire and stall out unless I hold my foot on the gas revving the engine. I have had my entire fuel system checked and cleaned no problem there. Second problem : when I idle in traffic for an extended period of time the car will smoke, had the valve cover gaskets fixed did not help still pissing away oil like nobody's business.
Third problem: when the car down shifts to 2nd and 1st gear I get a little thud the car actually shifts done once in at a complete stop.
Fourth: when I lay on the gas the car will sputter before finally going.
Fifth and worst problem yet : if I do not come to a complete stop before turning left or right doesn't matter the car will shift into neutral and the steering will lock, which is very scary. The car will not move from neutral and has to be turned off and will be fine. The car currently only has 59k miles it has always been fine all these things happened one after the other. Someone please help me before this car kills me ! Thanks!
1. That is a serious issues and could be related to the other issues. What was checked/replaced? Injectors, fuel filter, fuel pump, etc?

2. The smoking is Valve Stem Seals and you are ruining your car as you are driving it. All the oil is being burned and coating the valves and insides of your engine. This is perhaps why #1 is occuring.

3. That's the infamous 2-1 downshift, it's a big problem here and the only fix for it is to replace the transmission. You can make it less noticeable by replacing the GUIBO FLEX DISK and replacing the Transmission fluid with some Redline D4 or Castrol Multi-Import Fluid.

You are probably going to spend upwards of 3K on #1 & 2 alone as it's a lot of work and there could be a lot of stuff that needs to be cleaned. While you are doing this get the secondary air system checked out as well. For #3 you'll be spending at least 500 dollars. While they are working on the trans, get a new pan with filter (pans are plastic and not durable and tend to leak), new Sealing Sleeve, Bridge Seal and new Fluid. This will hopefully keep it happy for another 60-80K miles.

IMO, find a good indy and you'll be fine for a long time! :thumbup:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.