BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends!
I've got an E34 with an M20 engine onboard. Bought the car 2 years ago in poor condition to restore for myself and that's what I actually did. The car runs and looks superfine now, so here comes another level to reach the BMW utmost perfection!:)

The fact is that on M20 engines with Motronic 1.3 there is a little tiny part that comes out of the intake manifold. An electric cable and a small tube come to this part, and I suspect it is quite important for the car's performance. The part I mean I've circled in red in the picture below.

This detail on my engine misses the electrical and tubing connection. Instead I only see a hexagonal bolt inside of it. I want to restore the whole device but I do not know what the device is! No catalogues or repair manuals available show this little thing, I don't know what it serves for and what to start the restoration process with.

I would appreciate if someone here tells me what this device is and how critical it is for car's performance. Any pieces of advise are welcome, of course!

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I cannot be sure but it appears to be the purge valve for the evaporative emmission control. The hose would connect to the carbon canister and the connector to a harness plug with one brown and one red/white wire.

·
love the tanks
441 Posts
i do believe ross1 is correct.

that is the purge valve solenoid. it does indeed hook up to the charcol canister by a little tube and the wires hook up to it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts