BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody, I m driving e46 318i valvetronic engine, i own this car for two years now and i have chnged almost everything, until i first discovered my first problem. now my problems are with the MAF and fuel pump I keep changing both of them.

I have changed the fuel pump 4 times and this time to make sure I changed the filter like always, relay, and cleaned the tank.

I have changed the MAF 2 times this is the third time and I need your help to make sure that its realy what s causing the problem.

·
Registered
373 Posts
hi everybody, I m driving e46 318i valvetronic engine, i own this car for two years now and i have chnged almost everything, until i first discovered my first problem. now my problems are with the MAF and fuel pump I keep changing both of them.

I have changed the fuel pump 4 times and this time to make sure I changed the filter like always, relay, and cleaned the tank.

I have changed the MAF 2 times this is the third time and I need your help to make sure that its realy what s causing the problem.
What exactly are your symptoms/codes that is causing you to change these parts?

No way you should be going through a MAF like that unless you are sucking in tons of unfiltered air. Are connections sound?

Same with fuel pump. Are these new parts you are using?

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
Codes?

Before throwing parts at it, I'd spend a few bucks for a more thorough diagnosis.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
first of all thanks for you reply. what the garage owner told me that I need to change the MAF the testing tools is giving him problem in bank1 bank2 and that is related to maf. that is it. do you know anything I could do myself.
is it normal for me to change this number of MAF sensors.

·
We want the Lion!
7,771 Posts
first of all thanks for you reply. what the garage owner told me that I need to change the MAF the testing tools is giving him problem in bank1 bank2 and that is related to maf. that is it. do you know anything I could do myself.
is it normal for me to change this number of MAF sensors.
Look at the corrugated rubber boot that feeds the throttle body. It's probably split and allowing unmetered air into the intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ve checked all hoses for leaks nothing was obviously wron or leaking. a friend of me who has a jeep told me that he can read error codes without the need of scan tools can I do so. to make sure.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I ve checked all hoses for leaks nothing was obviously wron or leaking. a friend of me who has a jeep told me that he can read error codes without the need of scan tools can I do so. to make sure.
Never heard of reading the codes w/o tool,but more power to your friend:thumbup:
You have to listen to the previous posts and their advice, you have a leak, check the last boot that go to your throttle body, check the smaller hose that connects to the ICV, or better yet, buy one and replace it, it's only 20 bucks.

I think you've been supporting your mechanic long enough, it's time to set your mind and do some real detective work. Again you have a leak along the air intake.

Go on Ebay and buy a code reader for about 60 bucks, just make sure the reader is OBDII.

·
Registered
4 Posts
On a lot of vehicles you can definitely retrieve codes without using a scan tool but with your vehicle you can not. If you are installing aftermarket crappy parts that could be the reason why your are going through so many parts. I have ran into that problem where i had to replace 2 fuel pumps in a row in a GMC truck. Some MAF are not brand new but rebuilt which may fail prematurely. Also make sure he is doing the right diagnosis by going somewhere else for a second opinion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
all fuel pumps were BMW geniune fuel Pumps, the MAF sensor was bosch. I ll search for a scan tool to buy any recommendations.

·
Supporter of Bimmer Lore
5,192 Posts
I ll search for a scan tool to buy any recommendations.
To retrieve generic codes and/or live data, you need an OBD-II scanner. To retrieve BMW-specific codes (lots of them, much more specific as to what's amiss), the least costly alternative is a Peake scanner.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the help at the end I have changed the MAF again and the car is running well now.

the problem I m facing now is that I used test 21 and the car suffering since then.

what should I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts