BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me out please.....

I've spent hours searching and reading forums for advice on this but now I am a little bit stuck.

I wanted to install Rear PDC on my F20. I found a very helpful guide and managed to do the physical install. I needed to replace the REM on my car as it was missing the pins required for PDC. Found one on eBay, fitted it to the car and then immediately tried to use ISTA/D (with ICOM) to retrofit PDC. I had already removed the old REM and fitted the new (used) replacement. I think this was my first mistake as I now think I should have left the old REM fitted before I initiated the replacement of control module and then changed it when ISTA/D told me to remove and replace it). Now every time I load either ISTA/D or ISTA/P it shows REM replacement required in the Measures Plan / Programming Plan and I cant seem to remove this (if I reject measures plan it will just re-appear when I re-determine measures plan). If I try to execute the replacement of the control unit with ISTA/D or ISTA/P it just fails and gets stuck in a loop asking me to confirm I have replaced the control unit. I have also tried putting the old REM back in, then executing the measures plan, interrupting the session (as directed) to carry out the replacement, then continuing the session but it still fails. So this makes me wonder if it is an issue with ISTA not being willing to flash a new VIN to a control unit with a pre-existing different VIN?
Furthermore when I executed the measures plan it included software updates to all the control units to bring it up to the I level I have installed on my Laptop (currently F020-17-11-520). Everything updated to the latest I-level apart from HU_NBT and one other that I can't remember atm (these remain at the I-level F020-13-03-503)

Anyway, So after ISTA/D failed to flash REM I managed to get E-sys working. I was able to follow a guide to ''Detect CAF for SWE'' for the REM and VO code option 507. This enabled me to get the PDC working when I put it into reverse (but the sensors stay live even when I take it out of reverse and put it into Neutral or First or whatever gear and there isn't a display, just audible beeping). I suspect no display has something to do with the HU_NBT not being coded yet maybe?
I believe what I need to do is completely flash the replacement REM using eSys. I attempted to do this by following the 'Upgrading ECU on BMW v1.0.1' written by
zkiifreak (which I found on this forum). It failed at the final hurdle (step 17 in the guide). I can't remember the exact error (but from researching at the time I think it had something to do with the wrong I-step selected -as I have no way of knowing what the I-level of the replacement REM was at. I think I read it would be trial and error to find out which I-level (shipm.) would work.
One last thing, the replacement REM when installed has a few errors with regards to regards to no power to the rear windows but the PDC is working (well beeping when in reverse so far). My old control unit has no issues with power to rear windows. I'm hoping that it will all be resolved when I flash the REM but I'm a little concerned the replacement REM is faulty.

My questions are:
- Will ISTA/D (Rheingold) flash a used module (with a different VIN from the donor car already coded) or does it have to be a brand new virgin control module?
- Will ISTA/P with XPert mode code a used control module?
- How can I remove the Replacement of REM from the Measures Plan in ISTA/D and ISTA/P.
- Am I on the right track with flashing the REM with eSys using trial and error to determine the correct I-step for the replacement REM?
- Is there an easer way?
- Am I correct in thinking that when the PDC system is working properly there will be a PDC display?
- Can anyone confirm if my REM is faulty or whether a flash will resolve the Power to rears windows issue?
- Final question (for now at least), when the PDC is working properly it should turn off once I take it out of reverse gear, correct?
Any help / advice offered would greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Apologies for it being so long winded.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone here can help me out please.....

I've spent hours searching and reading forums for advice on this but now I am a little bit stuck.

I wanted to install Rear PDC on my F20. I found a very helpful guide and managed to do the physical install. I needed to replace the REM on my car as it was missing the pins required for PDC. Found one on eBay, fitted it to the car and then immediately tried to use ISTA/D (with ICOM) to retrofit PDC. I had already removed the old REM and fitted the new (used) replacement. I think this was my first mistake as I now think I should have left the old REM fitted before I initiated the replacement of control module and then changed it when ISTA/D told me to remove and replace it). Now every time I load either ISTA/D or ISTA/P it shows REM replacement required in the Measures Plan / Programming Plan and I cant seem to remove this (if I reject measures plan it will just re-appear when I re-determine measures plan). If I try to execute the replacement of the control unit with ISTA/D or ISTA/P it just fails and gets stuck in a loop asking me to confirm I have replaced the control unit. I have also tried putting the old REM back in, then executing the measures plan, interrupting the session (as directed) to carry out the replacement, then continuing the session but it still fails. So this makes me wonder if it is an issue with ISTA not being willing to flash a new VIN to a control unit with a pre-existing different VIN?
Furthermore when I executed the measures plan it included software updates to all the control units to bring it up to the I level I have installed on my Laptop (currently F020-17-11-520). Everything updated to the latest I-level apart from HU_NBT and one other that I can't remember atm (these remain at the I-level F020-13-03-503)

Anyway, So after ISTA/D failed to flash REM I managed to get E-sys working. I was able to follow a guide to ''Detect CAF for SWE'' for the REM and VO code option 507. This enabled me to get the PDC working when I put it into reverse (but the sensors stay live even when I take it out of reverse and put it into Neutral or First or whatever gear and there isn't a display, just audible beeping). I suspect no display has something to do with the HU_NBT not being coded yet maybe?
I believe what I need to do is completely flash the replacement REM using eSys. I attempted to do this by following the 'Upgrading ECU on BMW v1.0.1' written by
zkiifreak (which I found on this forum). It failed at the final hurdle (step 17 in the guide). I can't remember the exact error (but from researching at the time I think it had something to do with the wrong I-step selected -as I have no way of knowing what the I-level of the replacement REM was at. I think I read it would be trial and error to find out which I-level (shipm.) would work.
One last thing, the replacement REM when installed has a few errors with regards to regards to no power to the rear windows but the PDC is working (well beeping when in reverse so far). My old control unit has no issues with power to rear windows. I'm hoping that it will all be resolved when I flash the REM but I'm a little concerned the replacement REM is faulty.

My questions are:
- Will ISTA/D (Rheingold) flash a used module (with a different VIN from the donor car already coded) or does it have to be a brand new virgin control module?
- Will ISTA/P with XPert mode code a used control module?
- How can I remove the Replacement of REM from the Measures Plan in ISTA/D and ISTA/P.
- Am I on the right track with flashing the REM with eSys using trial and error to determine the correct I-step for the replacement REM?
- Is there an easer way?
- Am I correct in thinking that when the PDC system is working properly there will be a PDC display?
- Can anyone confirm if my REM is faulty or whether a flash will resolve the Power to rears windows issue?
- Final question (for now at least), when the PDC is working properly it should turn off once I take it out of reverse gear, correct?
Any help / advice offered would greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Apologies for it being so long winded.
I think the major problem is, that the REM you found, is not the correct HWEL version for your car. Then ISTA will always complain.

What I have learned from my retrofits, is always find the HWEL version => than what E-Sys requires when calculating a TAL(full I-Step update).

I dont know if you will ever get ISTA to be happy if the HWEL is the wrong version. If you have your original FA/SVT tree saved from E-Sys. You can add them here, or do a TAL calculation in E-sys yourself, to see if the HWEL of the REM is correct for your car.

One stupid question though, have you added 507 to FA and written that to the car ?

/Weebyx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Weebyx,

Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately I'm fairly new to all this and I'm not sure I fully understand everything in your reply.

I just checked the two REM's the HWEL numbers printed on the REM's match (both HWEL 003.000.002). However other numbers do not match....

The original REM has:
HWAP 00000F48
HWEL 003.000.002
BTLD 003.028.010
SWFL 003.028.010

The replacement REM has:
HWAP 00000F4D
HWEL 003.000.002
BTLD 003.029.030
SWFL 003.029.030

The original REM did have a software update (prior to me trying to do this retrofit) to bring it up to F020-17-11-520 (originally was at F020-13-03-503).

I'm probably being really stupid but I'm not sure how I can tell if the HWEL version is => than what e-sys requires when calculating a TAL.

As far as I understand it the TAL calculation is basically where you tell e-sys which software version (I-level) the car (or in this case REM control module) is currently at and then e-sys works out an update from that version to the latest version that I have available on my laptop?
But as I don't know what software version is currently at on the replacement REM it is not working for the calculation (because I am saying the Software version is currently F020-17-520 which is the current version on my original REM... but the software version on the replacement REM is something different). I may have misunderstood this though as I was simply following the 'Update ECU guide' at the time without fully understanding what each step is doing. I have spent lots of time researching and making some progress with trying to understand everything but I have read so much relevant and so much irrelevant information that I have information overload at the moment so thought I would ask for some help here :)

I did do a backup of all the CAFD files when I had the original REM installed. Should I install the replacement REM and carry out another backup and then post all the relevant CAFD files on here so they can be compared to see if the HWEL is correct for my car (is that what you meant when you wrote 'add them on here'?)

With regards to the adding 507 to the FA, I'm pretty confident I have done this and written it to the car as the Parking sensors are working to some degree and they weren't working at all before I did that.

Thanks again for your help :thumbup:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Weebyx,

Thank you for the prompt response. Unfortunately I'm fairly new to all this and I'm not sure I fully understand everything in your reply.

I just checked the two REM's the HWEL numbers printed on the REM's match (both HWEL 003.000.002). However other numbers do not match....

The original REM has:
HWAP 00000F48
HWEL 003.000.002
BTLD 003.028.010
SWFL 003.028.010

The replacement REM has:
HWAP 00000F4D
HWEL 003.000.002
BTLD 003.029.030
SWFL 003.029.030

The original REM did have a software update (prior to me trying to do this retrofit) to bring it up to F020-17-11-520 (originally was at F020-13-03-503).

I'm probably being really stupid but I'm not sure how I can tell if the HWEL version is => than what e-sys requires when calculating a TAL.

As far as I understand it the TAL calculation is basically where you tell e-sys which software version (I-level) the car (or in this case REM control module) is currently at and then e-sys works out an update from that version to the latest version that I have available on my laptop?
But as I don't know what software version is currently at on the replacement REM it is not working for the calculation (because I am saying the Software version is currently F020-17-520 which is the current version on my original REM... but the software version on the replacement REM is something different). I may have misunderstood this though as I was simply following the 'Update ECU guide' at the time without fully understanding what each step is doing. I have spent lots of time researching and making some progress with trying to understand everything but I have read so much relevant and so much irrelevant information that I have information overload at the moment so thought I would ask for some help here :)

I did do a backup of all the CAFD files when I had the original REM installed. Should I install the replacement REM and carry out another backup and then post all the relevant CAFD files on here so they can be compared to see if the HWEL is correct for my car (is that what you meant when you wrote 'add them on here'?)

With regards to the adding 507 to the FA, I'm pretty confident I have done this and written it to the car as the Parking sensors are working to some degree and they weren't working at all before I did that.

Thanks again for your help :thumbup:
Ok, It was me who was wrong, HWEL is fine, HWAP is the one that needs to be different to be able to use 507.

So maybe that is correct.

You can PM me your FA and SVT file(from before the new REM), and tell me your Factory I-Step(it can be found under Expert->VCM>Master tab->Read I-Step).

Then I can calculate if the REM is correct HW for you. I think it is, but just to be 100% sure.

E-Sys can work with incorrect HW, ISTA cannot.

/Weebyx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Weebyx,

PM sent. I forgot to add the I-level is currently F020-17-11-520 (originally was at F020-13-03-503).

Except the HU_NBT and another control module wouldn't update the software so that is still at F020-13-03-503. I think I read somewhere its because the IP address gets lost once the bootloader reboots everything or something like that. I did try using a router and DHCP settings for router, Icom and Laptop but it still failed so that's another issue I still need to overcome. That was trying to update with ISTA/D. I haven't tried updating those control units with E-Sys or ISTA/P yet.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Hi Weebyx,

PM sent. I forgot to add the I-level is currently F020-17-11-520 (originally was at F020-13-03-503).

Except the HU_NBT and another control module wouldn't update the software so that is still at F020-13-03-503. I think I read somewhere its because the IP address gets lost once the bootloader reboots everything or something like that. I did try using a router and DHCP settings for router, Icom and Laptop but it still failed so that's another issue I still need to overcome. That was trying to update with ISTA/D. I haven't tried updating those control units with E-Sys or ISTA/P yet.

Thanks again.
No PM arrived yet :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.